horribe 2 picks in the first....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Apr 25, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I get that, what you apparently don't get is that is completely irrelevant to what I said. just because the Bills had a willing trade partner because the Rams believed the Jets were targeting the player they wanted has NOTHING to do with spite. try to keep up.

not to mention the Bills had no need to stay in that position to get the player they wanted, so trading back was not due to spite. whether they could have gotten Manuel later is still irrelevant, because it still validates that they had no need to stay in that position. they could have traded back and gotten a completely different player in round one and still gotten Manual later. point being there was no one available at 8 that they felt they had to have, and they were going to trade back anyways.

how exactly are you confused by that and think that has anything to do with spite?

2. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Why, because the 2 BPA were defensive players? The stupidity of Jet fans never ceases to amaze me. Keep reading all the Jet haters in the media.

3. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

What are you talking about? The only DT picked between 13 and 22 was Lotulelei. So we could have indeed traded down and still gotten Richardson. Or at worst get Sharif Floyd in the low 20s (assuming the Vikes took Richardson at 23) and end up with a guy with a much bigger body of work than Richardson who was projected as a top 5 prospect based on his production, not hype.

There is no reason we should not have traded down. Richardson was not worth the No. 13 pick overall and we ran no risk of not getting a top DT by trading down.

4. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Did the draft end that I wasn't aware of? I could have sworn there were rounds left.

5. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

And you know that how? Were you in the room? Maybe you were the coffee runner.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you only get good players in round one. if you don't fill your needs there, it is impossible to get any quality players afterwards.

7. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

We were 2nd against the pass because late in games nobody had to pass that much to beat us.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And they won't this year too..probably not early either.

9. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Really? So there is no quality players after round one? Are you new to the draft process? You build championships on day 2 and 3 of the draft. Besides these were 2 quality picks, now we need to add to it.

10. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

We now have studs all along the defensive line so running wont be easy

11. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sheldon Richardson is a top 10 talent in this years draft. End of story.

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

It's not the end of the story. Nobody was going to pick Richardson in the top 10. And he wasn't going to go in the top 20 either. So why pick him at 13? You are wasting the value of the pick. We could have traded down and easily gotten Lotulelei, Floyd or Richardson.

13. NYJets4EverOnTop

Do you not understand that the #13 pick was not coveted by anyone by the time that pick was up? There was no team that wanted to trade with us because there was no player worth trading up for for any of the teams that may have been looking to trade up. You can't rag on the Jets for making a horrible decision in not trading the pick when that's not 100% in their control. It takes two to tango.

14. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

100% speculation on your part. Did Idzik shop the 13th pick? Did he start making calls in the war room? You have no idea who they could have made a deal with. I don't either, but historically, it has not been that hard to trade down in the first round.

15. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

How do you know this??? How do you know teams didn't place Richardson over Floyd or Lotulelei? Those two dropped for a reason due to injuries/overhype. Also, how do you know that we DIDN'T try to trade out but no one was willing? You can arguably juggle Star, Floyd and Sheldon... and in fact, alot of teams did have Richardson higher than both but lets not argue with captain hindsight. IMO Richardson was not falling out of the teens.

#135 The Green Dude, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Sarcasm....

17. NYJets4EverOnTop

Yes you're right, we are BOTH speculating. So since none of us know what went on in that war room you can't get on the Jets for not trading the pick when you have no idea if it was even an option. I haven't heard a single "expert" chime in on the fact that the Jets didn't trade the pick because everyone could see the way that part of the round was taking shape. The way the first 10+ picks went were very unexpected and I think a lot of the players that some of teams may have originally planned on trading up for were already gone.

Bottom line is no one knows if a trade was even a possibility so you can't hate the Jets for not making a trade that may or may not have been an option.

18. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Who was going to pick Richardson? We can know one of the 3 were available based on the needs of the teams below. That's how drafting is done. Who wanted Richardson before 23? There were only 2 teams that had DT needs and they both addressed it.

And I am juggling the big 3. They are comparable (with the only real knock on Richardson being that he only played big time ball for 1 year). And had we traded down we could have gotten one of them.

And worst case scenario (they all get drafted), we take a guy who actually fills an immediate need, which Richardson doesn't.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Since 2007, the NY Jets have selected the following positions in the first round.

4 DL
    3 CB
    1 QB
    1 TE

That is insane.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think that is absolutely correct. I sat there myself while the clock was running and said who the hell would we want here and nobody came to mind. They submitted the pick with 30 seconds left on the clock and I am sure they spent the other 9 1/2 minuted trying to trade it with no takers anywhere.

#140 Don, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013