2013 NFL Draft Thread #2

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Petrozza, Apr 25, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Watching now

2. displacedfan

Oh come on twitter completely misconstrues it.

Someone asks Rex, two defensive players, you happy?

Rex smiles, turns to Idzik, says I should say my line, and then says I might as well as Idzik is smiling and everyone has a grin up there and says "I said you can't blame this one on me"

EVERYONE laughs including Idzik. Everyone meaning reporters too.

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Yeah, I saw it just now too. I tend to agree with what Lucas said on the SNY post-draft show. I happen to think that they were all in agreement with the way they ranked their players on their big board and stuck to their guns regardless of who else was available.

4. displacedfan

Yeah they stressed that they went BPA player and didn't feel they were reaching. Seeing the talent left for us in the 2nd round, depending on who we get, they might have played this correctly

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It will ultimately depend on who we get in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round.

My dream scenario would be

Ertz
    Rogers
    Phillip Thomas

Can you imagine Holmes/Hill/Edwards/Kerly/Rogers? Then Ertz... all of a sudden we have a pretty good group of pass catchers.

6. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I love it when GMs come out and say the guys were the top guys on their boards, like we expect them to blurt out "Man, we really just got blindsided, and this damn game on my Iphone was just too addicting to put down, so we just picked a name out of a hat" line.

I understand the Miller pick I guess, Rex loves CBs and our secondary could be lacking, especially if we have little faith in Wilson. But I didn't get the Richardson pick at ALL. Especially with Star and Floyd still on the board. We almost have to go to a 4-3 now, and just hope Wilkerson and Coples create havoc.

Have to go offense now.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I really like what Idzik has done so far. Got a NT to play between Wilks and Coples AND he got the best D player in the draft in Milliner!

In terms of NEED for this team i felt before the draft it was this:

1. CB - Milliner
    2. OLB -
    3. TE -
    4. QB -
    5. NT - Richardson
    6. RB -
    7. WR -

Idzik has filled 2 of the 7 major holes and is clearly taking the BPA.

8. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Sheldon Richardson's not a NT.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He will be

10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Except by saying "2 of the top 4 players on our board" he's indicating a level of talent beyond a generic "we really like these guys".

More to the point, what you said "were the top guys on their boards" is really vague. It could mean the top guy on their board for each position, and it doesn't really explain what "top" means - is it the literal best, or just one of the best?

Idzik's quote is very direct and specific: he feels that he drafted 2 of the 4 best players in the entire draft. That's more to me than just the typical blowing sunshine up asses.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think with Star he had the heart issue and the last thing we want is another Gaines Adams which was a tragic situation. I think Richardson is better than Floyd who I think was a tad overrated. Now where Richardson fits on the line? I can't answer that.

12. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Possibly, but there is no downside to saying they were at the top of our board. The number is arbitrary since it's Izdik and ultimately Ryan who decide what the board is, and neither has anything to gain by saying that these weren't the top guys in the future.

I presume they would've wanted Jordan and Austin (possibly why Woody said we wanted speed) as the other two options. I think every GM does the whole, yeah, we're really happy with our picks theme song because it serves their best interest.

Well, the Richardson one is preplexing, because the other two were still on the board, so it's not like they got picked off and we panicked. I'm just wondering what they saw in him, or why they didn't rate some other position as of higher need. Pretty much every analyst I saw seemed to have Star as the higher ranked player and possibly the better run defender. Both played on teams devoid of great talent around them. The heart issue I guess could be the cause. I would've taken Jones for sure with the 13th. It would've filled a bigger need with bigger upside.

13. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Not a good one.
    He's undersized for that role, struggles in the run and as a 2 gap player. His strengths are athleticism and 1 gap penetration from the DT spot. Making him bulk up and play NT would be taking away his best attributes so he can focus on his worst. If they wanted a NT they would have taken Williams.

14. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Forgot S.. im all for Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

any chance they trade into another 2nd or third with a few lower round picks and another player on roster?

not sure who but i have to try and think of a way to get more picks.

16. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Honestly looks closer to an OLB than a Nose tackle...He's a 3 technique with some versatility, but doesn't at all look like a NT

17. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I would also say an offensive guard is also a pretty big need. At the very least, some offensive line depth. I would love to see the Jets use a 3rd or a 4th on a guard and then add some depth in the 7th

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If I ever thought the comments on the game threads were overly emotional and ill informed (including my own) then this draft thread has taken things to whole new levels.

- Revis was not traded for Richardson, he was traded because he wanted to be paid $16m a year - we essentially traded Revis for the top CB prospect and about $13m a year in cap space which we could use to sign another 2 - 3 good starters.

- we went BPA - isn't that what all the best teams do all the time?

- who were these amazing players on offense that we passed on because I must have missed the highly rated receivers and top tier QB prospects that were on the board - oh wait, that's right, there weren't any.

- clearly we want to be able to run a mix of fronts and Richardson allows us to do that- he was a top 20 pick in pretty much every mock draft I saw and so its not as though he was a reach or a WTF pick

- just because Kiper et al had one or two other DTs rated slightly higher does not mean that they know more about these players than the Jets FO who, you know, actually got to see and meet with all these guys in person and probably spent 50 times as much time studying the tape and investigating them

- did people really want us to burn a top 15 pick on a guard?

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Richardson went over Floyd because Rex values long arms and Floyd had short arms, Richardson does not.

As for Star, they must buy into the heart issues...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Seems pretty obvious we will be playing 4-3..we now have the players to do that.