Sal Paolantonio: Jets fielding offers for picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NEJets, Apr 24, 2013.

1. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

you serious? our roster is NFL swiss cheese

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I see what you are trying to imply, one year a career does not make. Just look at Mark Sanchez

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

TE, QB, OG, OLB, FS. Those are our big needs. Not a huge amount of holes, but holes nonetheless. I'd trade down in a heartbeat. Our lesser needs are WR, RB, CB and some DL/OL depth players.

#43 Barcs, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd say wr is a bigger need than s and lb. Holmes has questionable health, hill has shown nothing to suggest he's ready to play regularly, and kerley is a limited 3 at best... AND the jets have a desperate need for explosiveness on offense.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Draft BPA at 9. Warmack or Cooper seem to be the safest picks.

Trade 13 to SF for 31 and 34.

Trade either 31 or 34 to a team looking to trade up from the back of the 2nd round for that pick and a 2014 1st.

Gives you 9, 31, 39, 50-62 pick, 72. Get 5 of the top 72 and a 2014 1st.

2014 you have 2 1sts, 2, 2 3rds, 4,5,6,7 and they are expected to get 4 supplementary picks in rounds 4-7.

That's a ton of picks in 2 drafts plus they should have 40+ million in cap space next year.

6. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

Theoretically this sounds good, but there's a lot of moving parts. Step 2 and so on is completely contingent on upset picks, guys falling, other trades. No way to choreograph what happens on draft day.

7. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I approve of this message.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

:rofl::rofl:

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Absolutely but same as doing a mock and predicting where guys go. It's still most likely that Idzik takes guys at 9 and 13 but Sf has been reported as a trade partner. This would be an ideal situation but I'm sure it won't happen. To flip Revis into a 2013 1,2 and 2014 1st would be great.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with this, only on the assumption that they are able to scout the position properly and efficiently, and only if they can develop that player well.

In recent years, message board gurus and television analysts alike have poopooed on draft prospect QBs that end up falling in the draft and also end up turning into solid players, while early first round quarterbacks will flounder. Dalton and Wilson ring a bell.

Could be that teams will begin changing their attitude and methods when targeting a signal caller. Could be that they are learning how to prepare them better.

I wouldn't mind finding a solid quarterback and a playmaker or two this year to build a foundation on. That's probably something that would have win the Jets a Lombardi or two in '09 and '10.

But something inside me will die if the Jets reach for a QB that they either misjudge our fail to put into position to succeed.

11. Mr Krinkle

Mr Krinkle Banned

what are the Jets' holes at this point?

12. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

M. Slauson ( Bears )
    Dustin Keller (Miami Dolphins),
    Mike Devito (Kansas City Chiefs),
    Shonn Greene (Tennessee Titans),
    Yeremiah Bell (Arizona Cardinals),
    LaRon Landry (Indianapolis Colts),
    Darelle Revis (Bucs)
    S. Pouha ( FA )
    B. Scott ( FA )
    B. Moore ( FA )

Those are just the starters we lost off the top of my head. Now think about the depth we had last season, and imagine what losing this many starting caliber players means.

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The only challenge with taking a QB early in this draft is that it's pretty much up in the air who the coach will be next year. If you take a qb at 13 and then fire Rex Ryan the next head coach may not like that QB.

14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Austin at 9, Jarvis Jones at 13, done.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think the HC is up in the air next year. I think Rex is the HC next year.

If things fall apart, well that will get any head coach fired. The Lovie Smith situation was different. The Bears had been to the playoffs once in the previous 5 years. They looked competitive last year and they needed to get to the playoffs for Smith to keep his job.

If people saw the 2013 Jets as a possible playoff team and they fell short I think Rex would get fired also. Nobody sees the Jets as a possible playoff team this year. They don't even have a QB at this point.

This is a rebuilding year. It's a year when the Jets should trade down and get a bunch of talent on the roster. Next year is the year they should be competitive.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

So Rex gets a bye this year unless things completely fall apart like the last two seasons? And then he gets an extension next year?

17. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I disagree, while we're not reloading, we're not quite rebuilding.

What need's can't be taken care of thru this draft?

To me, the main question is the QB, which if that position sucks again then yes we will be a 4-6 win team.

IMHO, I think Garrard, or decent QB play by Sanchez and we can be a 7-10 win team this season.

This is assuming we hit on our first 3 picks, which are all in the top 39!!!

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

agreed... I don't think they fall flat on their face this year. They'll win just enough to keep Rex and he'll coach his ass off this year knowing that next year they are way under the cap and they're getting a ton of compensatory picks.. this reload / rebuild (whatever you want to call it) ultimately should wind up with the team being very competitive for years... provided they find or sign as a FA an NFL caliber QB. I have all the confidence the rest of the roster will be in great shape after the '14 draft / FA signing period. It may take time to gel but this is the most optimistic I've been about their future in a while. With a new GM that won't pull mindless Tanny mistakes of overpaying FA's on the decline and packaging valuable picks to move up for mediocre players I have a ton of confidence in the front office for the first time in a while as well to keep this going and be competitive for a while.

Rex is no dummy, he sees if he can get through this year he could have 5-7 year run with the core that will be on this team for the '14 season.

#58 No Fly Zone, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Way to hit it out of the park funny guy...

20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Ugh, an OG for the 9th pick? That would be a waste, imo. If Star/Jones/Rhodes/Jordan are there, I think Rex/Idzik would go in that direction.

Take the 13th and trade down for an OG.