Sal Paolantonio: Jets fielding offers for picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NEJets, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Latest from Pauline's blog:

- Since the combine I’ve reported the New York Jets hope to come out of the draft’s first two days with a quarterback. In conversations today I am told they will consider one of the signal callers with an early choice. As it was told to me, the team does not expect to win next year so they can just as easily lose with their quarterback of the future underneath center in 2013. More specifically the Jets front office and new general manager John Idzik, “fear missing on one of the quarterbacks in this draft”.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If they draft a QB, I'll be disappointed. There's no need for it this year when the QB class isn't supposed to be that good.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Disagree. The Jets should draft a QB every year until they get the right one. It doesn't have to be the best QB on the board. I'd be perfectly happy getting someone like Landry Jones in the 3rd.

4. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Wonder how many Seahawks fans were upset drafting Russell Wilson last year?

5. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

The difference is that the Seahawks had a lot of talent going into the draft. What do we have? I could make a case that we "need" pretty much any position outside of Center (and Mangold is starting to get hurt, so maybe even there), Fullback, possibly Defensive End (and punter and kicker). I'd much rather start putting the pieces in place than end up with a scared rookie quarterback who gets piledrived on every play because there's no protection or nobody can get open.

6. NEJets

NEJets Member

If we trade down, end up with 4 picks of late first round/early second round, I don't mind taking a QB. But if we take one at either 9th or 13th, I will be disappointed.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That I agree with especially in any year we have extra picks. We have them this year and we will have them next year too. With the rookie pay scale being what it is we should always be drafting one and maybe we can get lucky like the Pats did with a 6th round pick.

8. The Jets have every right to take a QB early if they like a guy. They aren't in any position to pass on any prospect if he's rated high on their board. QB is the most important position on the field, the Jets have been looking for their answer for well over 40 years & there's no such thing as the rookie wage scale. What's to fear?

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Agreed. At least with the draft a QB every year part. It's good re-tooling.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If they pick a QB outside of the first round I wouldn't be too upset. But there's too much talk about them taking one in the first round.

Either way, I'd rather draft a QB when he can walk into a situation where the pieces are already in place.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The problem with waiting for "the guy" is that too many things have to go right for it to work. You're essentially putting all your eggs in one basket. First, a QB needs to be available that can be "the guy". Two you need to have a draft pick that is conducive to picking that QB, otherwise you have to give up your arm, leg, and first born to trade up for that QB. Three, the draft IS a crapshoot, so even when you're convinced that someone is the guy, they might end up not being that after all (Sanchez).

Also, waiting for the team to be ready before getting a QB means that you're severely affecting the potential depth of the roster. You might not get a QB who will lead the franchise to a Super Bowl but you sure can get effective depth in the mid rounds.

12. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I'll be incensed if they draft a QB in the first two rounds. The strength of the draft is in so many other positions. G, WR/TE, OLB, S.

13. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

if we are going to draft tavon austin, i think we should draft geno as well. they have a good rapport with each other and can do wonders for our offense

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

To get back on track, I'd love it if the Jets traded down. This team has far too many holes to fill on both sides of the ball.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'd love to trade down and add more picks.
    There's nobody that really excites that you just have to have.

16. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Trade down, acquire picks, draft BPA. Sounds like a wonderful draft strategy, especially after "fall in love with workout warrior, trade up to draft said workout warrior, workout warrior busts out".

17. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

I wouldn't mind trading down, but some players should excite you.
    Vaccaro, Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan and Austin are all studs.

18. Mr Krinkle

Mr Krinkle Banned

No they don't. They have very few holes, if any.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wtf??........

20. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Haha um what?