Jones vs. Mingo.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo?

Poll closed May 3, 2013.
  1. Jones

89 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. Mingo

31 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Mingo isn't ranked higher on all the boards. The "experts" like the people here are split. Those that focus on 40 times favor Mingo. Those that focus on passion and production favor Jones.

If Jones is such an injury concern, why did Mingo miss more than three times the playing time as Jones over the last two years? Mingo stubs his toe and he misses an entire half. You can't get Jones to come off the field.

I'm sure Tom Brady stays awake at night looking at players 40 times.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 2m
    Talked to OLB Barkevious Mingo. He said he's had very little contact with the #Jets. Ditto, G Jonathan Cooper. G Chance Warmack visited.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When Ray Lewis was measured at the combine they said he was too small. These scouts will find anything to bring you down. Running a 40 yard dash without football equipment on says nothing about that player. Jones has proven to be productive. You just can't clock game speed and having a knack for where the football is.

4. I'll throw one in the Jones corner...40 time isn't gonna mean much in evaluating an edge rusher. I remember when terell suggs came out he ran something like 4.85 & everybody wrote him off.

What DOES worry you about Jones workouts/combine is the lack of movement skills. He just isn't a natural bender & has stiff hips.

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I love JJ as a football player but unfortunately I think his size is a major red flag. Just watch him on the field and he doesn't look big. 6 2, 245 is pretty small for a pass rusher. I don't even care about his speed since his short area speed is incredible. At his size he's going to be a wash out in the running game. Mingo on the other hand is a freak athlete, who can probably gain 10-15 pounds. He's incredibly raw and as the technique things that JJ does well he will need to learn.

6. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Forgive me, but we want him to attack QB's, not compete on Dancing With The Stars. I don't care if he can't touch his toes or F*ck all night. He has proven to be THE BEST at getting to the opposing QBs and finishing each of the last two years. I don't care how many back flips or cartwheels Mingo can do.

I would not be upset if we traded down and selected Mingo. I just like the passion and production Jones delivers every time he steps on the field. I want football players, not athletes, mathletes or kissing cousins.

7. Jonky

Jonky Banned

You do realize Mingo has to gain those 10 pounds just to be the weight of Jones? Mingo weighed in at 237.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Nfl.com says Mingo weighed in at 241, only 5 pounds lighter than Jones.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He may have weight, but how strong is he? How much of that weight is actually defined muscle that can be used as leverage against offensive lineman? He can eat all the Wack Arnolds he likes but he won't be bull rushing anyone. Jones has plenty of ways to get to e QB and it's the tip. Of the iceberg.

10. Jonky

Jonky Banned

He weighed 241 at the combine but played under 235. He was last weighed at the LSU Pro Day at 237.

Jets | Like Barkevious Mingo
    Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:59:21 -0700

The New York Jets are interested in Louisiana State DL Barkevious Mingo, but there are some questions about Mingo, including his size. He weighed in at 237 pounds at his Pro Day. In the past 10 years, only one player under 240 pounds has reached double-digit sacks - Denver Broncos LB Von Miller.

Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl/new-york-jets#ixzz2RPfTbz9Y

11. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

How's Von Miller doing these days? Any better than the highly productive (20.5 sacks) Vernon Gholston?

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

What's the arm length on these guys? Rex seems to value that greatly.

13. Jonky

Jonky Banned

SO you're going out on a limb and say Mingo is as good as one of the most unique players in the NFL? Miller is the only sub 240 player in the last 10 years with double digit sacks, but you think Mingo is as good as. I think he fits with ALL the others.

Gholston as in workout warrior with superior combines and average college production, which is Mingo's college resume as well.

#93 Jonky, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If you consider average college production to be setting an Ohio State single-season record for sacks in a season.

Comparing Mingo to Gholston, other than playing the same position, is completely ignorant.

16. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Watching the tape on Mingo I was surprised on how often he lined up strong side/inside the TE. Seems like a real misuse of his talent.

17. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

Yes, it was a complete misuse of talent, but 75% of the fans on here take everything at face value, so they won't be able to understand it.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

BUT HE HAD 4.5 SACKS!!!

Mingo's size scares me far more than his lack of production in college does.

19. Cmart24

Cmart24 New Member

I don't see what everyone else seems to see in Jarvis Jones. He isn't a good worker, he isn't explosive, he usually takes a long time to get to the QB and he is weak at the point of attack. I've watched numerous games of his and the Alabama one is scary in a bad way. There are plays where he is getting completely destroyed and put on his back. He struggles getting off blocks when hands are on him and he isn't fast enough to get around the edge. What is it that makes him good? In the Florida game, he doesn't do a dang thing on his own. It's either a blown assignment or a coverage sack where he eventually gets there after it's been 5 seconds. He occasionally uses his hands well and has a god spin move that he doesn't use nearly enough but I hate him as a prospect.

20. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

The idiocy of this one dude is dumbfounding.

If course Mingo is projected at OLB: not a SINGLE TEAM in the NFL runs the Jimmy Johnson Miami 4-3. That's the whole point. The kid was playing the perfect system for his size and skill set, which he won't get to play in in the League, and yet was still forgettable.

So while he MAY develop into a better OLB than he was a DE, it's a massive risk that the Jets cannot afford to take. Not to mention that 9 outta ten times these type of players whopeople have to look for reasons to draft over better actually football players end up busting.