Tyler Eifert at 9 or 13?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BakerMaker, Apr 24, 2013.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Even though I think in a normal, deep draft.....I think Eifert's a top 25 pick....this draft happens to be weird and not under the norm where its plausible Eifert could go in the top ten.

With just Jeff Cumberland as our lone NFL-caliber(And that might be debatable) tight end on the roster, its clear the Jets will need one, and quite possibly early in the draft. The question is though....do you take the one who many consider as the best of his position in the draft with one of the two first rounders? Are you scared by the past of Jets TE failures(Which you shouldn't but alas)? Is Eifert worth it to you?

Me personally, I'd entertain the thought at 9 but would have a green light for 13 for sure. To me, Eifert plays like Texans TE Owen Daniels....but only a 6'6 version(And hopefully healthier)....I came away really impressed with what Eifert can do after seeing pretty much all of his collegiate games as an Irish fan. He's not an excellent blocker but its a far cry from what he was after the 2011 season to what he is now and I'd say he is average but may only get better.

He has fluidity and plays like a WR only in a TE's body, strives to get YAC, has been as good of a leader and citizen/player for the Irish. Some say his production went down but two things are the reason.... 1) He became the vocal point of the offense and Floyd wasn't there to make defenses honest & 2) Worked with a freshman QB in Golson who is a run first QB mainly so there were hiccups just by that alone.

I don't think Eifert will be a HOFer in waiting or be what Gronkowski or Graham are....but that doesn't mean he can't be in that 2nd tier of TEs. I don't think he can ever be your 1st go to weapon in an offense but as a top 3 weapon on offense(Counting RB)? Absolutely. I come off way more impressed with what I saw from Eiffert than what I ever saw from Keller when he was at Purdue personally and I don't think he can be as soft was Keller was.

2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Really would depend on who was there at 13 and what they do with 9. I love Eiffert but I'd rather come away with Jarvis Jones/Zach Ertz at 13 & 39 than Eiffert/Lemonier.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I can see Eifert at 9 and J. Jones at 13....then a guard like Warford at 39.

Dolphins could entertain taking Eifert at 12 or if the Browns make a trade down with say SD(Lane Johnson), the Browns would want Eifert. Dolphins have Keller but its for 1 year and Keller had some injury woes lately. Basically if NYJ wants Eifert, it might have to be at 9.

Jets like Jones but are not playing him up and feel he could be had at 13.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm still having trouble with the idea of selecting a TE that high, even though it wouldn't bother me to select a G. Doesn't really make a lot of sense, I know, but that's the way I feel. I'd rather have Jones and one of Cooper/Warmack and get a TE with our second or third rounder.

5. Very high on Eifert. He has star potential in a draft that lacks that. Would be fine w/ him at both #9 & 13.TE is a major need & TE has become key to the modern NFL offense. 100% yes.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I have no interest in taking a tight end in the top 15 unless the guy is a once in a decade player. Look at the Giants, filling the position every year in free agency. The top tight ends in the league today were not high draft picks.

7. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I'm all for it. Sanchez was actually decent in the red-zone when he had Plaxico and Eifert has the tools to be a great big red-zone target.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Honestly, Tavon and Eifert at 9 and 13 respectively would be two of my ideal picks in this draft. Then in the 2nd go for a QB like Manuel or Nassib and then in the 3rd draft Sio Moore or Jamie Collins.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Jets have a horrible record of TEs taken in the first round...it would be insane to take one as high as 13. Do it like NE did..they took Gronkowsi in the second and Hernandez in the 4th.

10. Those are my 2 ideaL picks too. Although round 2 I look at pass rushers & guards.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Fair enough, I could certainly go for Kyle Long (great fit here, not talked about much), Damontre Moore or Alex Okafor in the 2nd.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I absolutely love the way Eifert catches the ball. I went back and watched some on Ertz today, and he made him look like he had brick hands. Just the way he pint points the ball and plays it in the air is amazing. He could honestly step in and be one of the best pure catches at the TE position. One thing in his game that lacks a little bit is YAC, but its obviously not all that important for a TE. He's also a dedicated blocker and has improved tremendously there.

13. LOVE Kyle Long. Perfect fit for WCO. He was really impressive at the senior bowl. Exactly who i was thinking of in round 2.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah he doesnt get much love around here, but he is an absolute perfect fit here, just like Cooper is a great fit. He has an incredibly high ceiling.

If we were to trade back with say, the 49ers, he would be a great target.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Kyle long would be a nice pick up in round 3. I see him ultimately moving bak to LT at some point in his career due to his athleticim

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Agreed especially because I don't see Jones being taken at 10, 11 or 12.

17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

What round was Gronkoswky drafted again?

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Gronk was a 1st rd talent that went in 2nd due to injury history.

I'd have no problem with Eifert with either pick. We need O, he is a stud.

19. NFL

NFL Active Member

I still lean a little more onto Zach Ertz. I think that he plays the game faster than Eifert and I think that the value of Ertz at 39 is much greater than Eifert at 9 or 13.

20. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Eifert would fit perfectly in Marty Mornhinweg's system but I'm sure the JETS will look at all their options before drafting a TE.