WW85's 2013 FINAL JET's MOCK DRAFT (NO TRADES)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 23, 2013.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It's funny, I think if WW "traded down" like most mocks on here the Manuel pick would be accepted more by others. As the weeks go by I am more and more convinced EJ will be the best QB out of this draft, he is a field general, one who will minimilize mistakes on offense and at this point, that's not too bad of an asset for us. So more or less I can certainly live with that pick.

Cooper at 9 was predictable, WW's love affair is obvious, but definitely warranted. He fits perfectly in our scheme and the only reason he isn't as highly talked about like Warmack is because he went to UNC. He's just as good as Warmack and personally, can be a pro bowler in a year or so for this team. Not many players you can say that about in this draft. Love that pick.

Swearinger will probably the best safety available come 39, Cyprien, Vaccaro, and Elam will all be first rounders. He's a day 1 starter and is one of the more violent hitters in this draft, so I like that Landry esque aspect he can bring to the table. My only concern is will his hard hitting play be a detriment to him in the NFL? I certainly hope not.

Moore's stock is going up and up and up, wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes late round 2, same goes for Vance who could go somewhere in the 3rd if there's an early run on TEs.

Overall very realistic and concrete draft for the Jets WW.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would say Cam Newton.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

sometimes i think people just come to the draft forum and bash a player without watching the tape. like some of the stuff ej manuel has done is pretty good. sorry he's not RG3, but who is?

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. Wathced some highlights which are obviously highlights only, if the Jets like him or another QB at 13, grab them. If they trade down and grab one in the 20s or 30s, even better.

I like him, maybe slightly more than Geno

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I like EJ the best of all the top QB prospects (though if Tyler Wilson falls into the 4th round I wouldnt mind the Jets picking him up) but I do feel its a waste to take a guard in the 1st round when we have so many other glaring needs.

My dream scenario though is to trade one of our picks to someone for a first rounder next year which we can then use as ammo to trade up (not that we may need to trade very far sadly) to pick one of the top QB prospects in 2014.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'd take this draft. Granted I like Warmack more but you can't go wrong with Cooper. UNC has had some really good players as of late

Btw I believe Manual will be a better pro QB then Ponder. Was never a big fan of Ponder

#46 101GangGreen101, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I didn't understand the Gabbert, Ponder or Tannehill picks at all. Those guys were not top 10 material at any point in the process and for them to get taken in or close to the top 10 was like a surrender by the team that took them.

I recognize that Tannehill's college coach went to the Fins but still. Them taking him where they did was only a bit crazier than the Bills taking Nassib at 8 if that is what they do.

Jake Locker was a bit more defensible in the top 10 but he was pretty borderline too.

8. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Do you have Warmack going before 9? If not, why do you like Cooper better?

Also, I don't like the Qb pick that early, but it's understandable (and a classic Jets move, honestly). We'll see.

9. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

EJ was my original pick months ago (11-17-2012) on this very board. I've waivered back and forth, but I still like him. I don't think any QB is worth a 1st round grade this year, but if that is where the team feels they need to do it, I think EJ is going to be a solid pro.

The sleeper pick you have that I like is Vance McDonald TE out of Rice. That guy looks the part, and he really impressed me during Senior Bowl week.

I also dig the Cooper pick. In your opinion, why Cooper over Warmack?

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

the closer we get to the draft, the more I embrace picking Manuel.

Cooper fits better in the WCO. he's more of a pass protector, whereas Warmack is more of the run blocking/mauler type.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I have Cooper rated higher for the Jets. He's more athletic and would be a great fit in Marty Mornhinweg's offense.

Both players are rated very close, Warmack isn't significantly better, it's a preference by the team drafting him.

12. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I've been high on Manuel for months now, but all those times I was assuming 2nd/3rd picks as his target zone. I'm not sure he's worth a first round pick to be honest. He has all the tools to be really good, but he had a good cast with the Seminoles and didn't really live up to the hype.

I also worry why the coaching staff decided to keep the play calling simple. Can he not pick up on complex playbooks? If we traded down, I can live with the Manuel pick as much as I like him. But at 13, it's a bit out of my comfort zone.

I'd rather go after Bray or Wilson later, since my theory with this draft has always been to get a QB later in the draft than in the first round. I'd take Bray in the 3rd, and and take offense/defense with the first two picks, and BPA on the second rd pick.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority,I love the Manuel pick but hate the Cooper pick. Manuel has all the potential in the world, if he's there guy then get him. Ideally a trade down would be nice but he is not making it to our 2nd and I'd rather take him a little higher then trade up from 2nd for him.

Not crazy about the rest,I'd rather Ertz in Rd 2 then a safety and get a safety a bit later. Sio is ok, he might make it to our 4th.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The QB at #13 is a huge double fisted reach. Horrible pick.

I like the rest of your mock though.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think you need to read the entire thread to get my reasoning, it isn't a reach if the Jets love EJ and believe he's the QB of the future.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's that combination of BPA, Need, and Position value in my opinion. To this day I don't understand the early Gabbert, Ponder or to an extent the Tannehill picks as well. Those teams reached for those players based on their draft boards. It's a possibility that they liked what they saw and wanted to draft them early so no one else had the chance.

It's crazy how different draft scouters are compared to the big board of the NFL teams during draft day in that war room.

Jake Locker was a hot prospect at one time, I remember talk of him going #1 before his senior year

17. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

WW85 I like your MockDraft but, I don't think we are going to draft a Qb unless is in the later rounds.

18. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

That's who I would put him as "most like" as well.

19. facch

facch Active Member

I like both players a lot, but both are minor reaches. With that being said, reaching in a draft such as this one where there are not much consensus on most prospects, isn't really reaching. If those are the players our higher ups have targeted, then we have to trust them.

Everyone wants to trade down, and I do as well. But that just may not be possible, so it only makes sense to project our picks as they stand right now. Cooper is a quality first round guard. Is he worth the 9th pick? Most years, no, this year, probably so.

My only knock on the Manuel pick at 13 is that we are tied to him for a few years. You do not draft a QB 13th overall, tank the next season, and draft another QB at 6 or 7. So if we pick EJ or Geno for that matter, he is our guy.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's hard to be too reactionary so soon after a draft.. Who knows how it will look in several years.

One thing with this draft is that it should certainly give hope to the franchise with the selecting of a potential franchise QB. I think Cooper would be a nice pickup too. Offensive line would look good after Cooper or Warmack in the 1st.

Can't say I don't like any of the remaining picks, really. I'd guess that Vance McDonald will go higher though.

In general, I'd like to see a skill player (WR/TE/RB) added a little higher in the draft. Obviously, tough to address all of this team's needs with just eight picks. A best case for me would be if Idzik could somehow pull off a trade down and acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd.