WW85's 2013 FINAL JET's MOCK DRAFT (NO TRADES)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 23, 2013.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

First, the Jets would like to trade out of one or both of their 1st Rd picks, but so do a lot teams in the top 15. There are just too many sellers and not enough buyers, so trading is not an option in my mock in Rd 1. I just hate predicting trades in Mock drafts.

Secondly, almost all Mocks by the *experts* have Mingo, so I went a different direction. If the Jets draft Mingo, they should at #13, he will still be available. I'm at the point that I won't hate the Mingo pick, as long as the Jets draft him at #13, not #9.

If Chris Ivory trade goes down we can delete Jefferson, but he's player a really like for the Jets.

Rd 1 #9 JON COOPER, OG, NORTH CAROLINA - We have a hole at the guard position and we can get an Elite player to fit in Marty's system. One of the surest players to have a successful NFL career for many years.

Rd 1 #13 E J MANUEL, QB, FSU - My highest rated QB in this class. Big strong QB that isn't known as a running QB, but can run and use his feet to extend plays. I went out of the box on this selection, since we couldn't trade out and the Jets have shown interest in Manuel. I don't expect everyone to understand this selection, but if the Jet's feel Manuel is that good of a player, they need to get him at 13, he won't be available in Rd 2.

Rd 2 D J SWEARINGER, S, SOUTH CAROLINA - A hard hitting Safety. The Jets had a private workout with DJ and have also shown interest. Could become an immediate starter.

Rd 3 SIO MOORE, OLB, UCONN - Another player high on the Jet's radar. Not a big OLB in Rex's mold, but a very versatile LB that can play any postion and has pass rushing skills. Some may not think of Moore as a dynamic DE/OLB, but he can play off the edge. A solid football player that has been very productive.

Rd 4 VANCE McDONALD, TE, RICE - Very productive player that hasn't got as much recognition as some other TE's. Very good receiver with good hands, can also spread him out as a WR, when needed. I expect McDonald to be contributing right away.

Rd 5 DWAYNE GRATZ, CB, UCONN - Corner that can play press and has good coverage skills. I like his potential to compete.

Rd 6 STEFPHON JEFFERSON, RB, NEVADA - A player I've liked for a while no one is talking about. Jefferson is a good size RB (5'11", 215) with great hands out of the backfield, good blocker and productive runner that Marty would love in his system.

Rd 7 ARMONTY BRYANT, DE/OLB, EAST CENTRAL OK - crazy productive player from #99's School. I believe the Jets have kicked the tires on Bryant, worth a shot in Rd 7.

I can't meet all needs, but addressed quite a few. I went E J because I don't think we will be bad enough to have a shot at Teddy & Johnny next year.

Comments or questions are welcome.

2. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

You lost me at EJ Manuel...seriously!?!?

The JETS need to put threats on the field for their offense like Tavon Austin and Tyler Eifert.

QB is not a priority in round one and if the JETS were to pick one, I would take Geno Smith if he were still there at #13.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

personally for me, this would be a dream come true of a draft, and quite honestly i think its possible.

for the WCO i think jon cooper fits extremely well with his athleticism and pulling ability. its also good that you understand we finally need a QB and manuel can be that guy. only thing is i think i like baccari rambo over over swearinger

edit: i also think people think our weapons are worse than they actually are. a WR group of santonio holmes, jeremy kerley, and an improved stephen hill (hopefully) isn't that bad

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

"Seriously"???....I been around the block a few times.

I gave my reasons, I guess you don't get it.

I don't expect everyone to understand it or agree.

EJ is going to be a better QB than Geno in the NFL.

5. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I really like the Bryant selection... I think he can be a very good player. I saw the Jets had him in for a visit... I was thinking of mocking him to the Jets in the 7th as well.

I agree that if the Jets think he will be the starting QB (and be good) they should take him in the first. I'd argue they should take him at 9 in that case and draft a Cooper or Warmack at 13. Do you really want to risk losing out on your potential franchise QB to Tennessee or a team trading up (SD could move down if they can't get a tackle. Miami could move down if given the right deal.) to ensure you get the guard you want?

I like Swearinger, too, and if you want him you probably have to take him in the 2nd.

I don't think Sio Moore is a great fit in a 3-4 and I think he's a bit overrated.

There are so many corners in this draft, it's crazy that Gratz could last till the fifth.

#5 CleveSteve, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

...and that's why I didn't draft any, plus Vance McDonald is like having another WR.

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Nevermind taking Manuel so high, I don't like the player and I don't wanna invest too much into a QB since Marty M. might be gone after a year. I don't wanna be like CLE or JAX and force a new HC/OC a QB.

Cooper's too high for me in the top ten but I like the player and if he's around at 13, I'd take him. Not a component of a guard in the top ten.

Swearinger might be a late 2/early 3 so unless there's a trade down that round its a slight reach but I like the player and its a need.

Sio Moore's a great pick in round 3. Don't know enough about McDonald but we need a TE so that works....

Gratz I think goes in round 4 so I don't know if he falls by round 5. Jefferson makes sense and would work in round 6....don't know anything on Bryant.

Just not feeling this draft at all WW85....not one pick I LOVE outside of maybe Sio Moore. That being said, I respect your draft opinion and know you hit on plenty of prospects that you like and dislike but I am not a Manuel fan, especially in the top 15. I'd be ehh of the pick in round 2 even but at least you can kind of convince about the guy.

8. Richiebsweet

Oh...I get it...you most have been watching the Senior Bowl a little bit too much and put EJ Manuel up there with Christian Ponder who was drafted 12th overall in the first round back in 2011. He sure is a playmaker with Minnesota right?!?!

I would reconsider putting up a more serious mock draft because outside from Cooper at #9, everything else would be a travesty.

You're not thinking outside the box, the box done hit you upside the head.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I like Manuel, and I went out of the Box with 13, I'm tired of everyone saying we HAVE to take a passer in Rd 1, I disagree.

Cooper is worth a the pick at , I know a lot don't think a guard should be taken in the top 10, but Cooper and Warmack are elite as you can get in the position.

Swearinger is a solid Rd 2 prospect, he's been moving up the boards and some thing, including Kiper he could be a late 1st.

McDonald is a great receiving TE, that would be an immediate impact player.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I love your Cooper pick but I am not a fan of taking Manuel with the 13. If we are going to take a flier on a high risk QB I would much rather see us take one in the 3rd round. That way if we have a chance at a franchise QB next year we can move on and not be locked into a 1st round QB investment from this years draft. Taking a 1st round QB this year makes hard to impossible to take a 1st rd QB next year.

The problem with 13 after taking Cooper there is not a lot of value left. Mingo, Austin, Jones,a CB or a trade back are our likely our options. Absent a trade back I am warming up to Austin. He can be an impact player especially if Garrard or a rookie QB wins the job. Word is the Jets like Hayden. But I would hate to see us take a CB with the 13th pick. It would be very unfair to that CB to be compared to be taken with the Revis pick and be compared to him.

I like a safety in round 2 although I do not like Swearinger and would prefer a cover safety to compliment Landry better.

Regardless I like your draft. This can be a very exciting draft for the Jets. The most exciting since 2000. We can walk out of this draft with 4 starters in a guard, safety, TE, and either a OLB or Austin with our 2nd 1st. Possibly a 5th if the QB we draft in the third wins the job.

#10 Noam, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Personally not my cup of tea. I would like Cooper, everything after that I'm not so sure of. Especially EJ. Rather try and get a QB in the 3rd or 4th round then gamble with a first rounder in a weak QB draft.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're a moron, with a comment like that, what can I say.

Immature...with your comments.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Swearinger is a solid in the box safety, but also has good coverage skills. The other options, Elam and Cyprien aren't better in coverage all are about the same.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'm personally a little stumped about EJ Manuel. I watched him play in the ACC. The guy is alright, but folds quite a bit in high pressure situations. If he's not blowing teams out, he looks uncomfortable.

I'd pick him, but not at 13.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

EJ Manuel had a bad game vs Florida, that's what most people remember. He's a team leader, good arm, as good feet to avaid pressure and can run when needed.

I would want to get him lower too, but I put no trades in my mock.

A lot of scouts have EJ rated as their top QB, I expect a team move into mid/late Rd 1 to draft him.

16. Richiebsweet

Wow...I'm a moron...sticks and stones my friend, sticks and stones...at least I didn't put up a mock draft that looked this terrible and have the audacity to put EJ Manuel at 13 when Ponder was picked 12th back in 2011 all because of a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.

Don't you find it quite ironic though...WW85?!?!

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It's a draft. It's subjective. What's the big deal?

No-one will be able to predict the top 32 picks.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I didn't call you a moron till you started with your idiotic comment. That was a real juvenile comment.

Ponder never entered the equation, in deciding to select Manuel.

I have heard the Jets are high on Manuel, from 2 different sources. I understand drafting him at #13 is early, I agree 100%. But, if a team really like s a player and can't trade down, they may take the player they covet. I explained that in my OP.....I don't expect, and you're one of them to understand it.

I've been covering the draft longer than most in this forum, too bad you haven't been around enough in the last 9 years to notice or comment with only 400 posts.

19. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

WW85 is a very well known graft guru on this site so his insight and opinions come highly respected around here. I'm sure we'd all love to see how your mock would go in comparison to his. So feel free to show us your in-depth knowledge of the draft and back up your statements. Until then your opinion holds no water.

20. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

It's not even a matter of taking him at #13, I'm just not sold on Manuel as a future starting QB for the Jets. With so many QBs already on the roster, I feel like it's a wasted pick to take another one in the first round, considering there's a 90% chance that guy won't play this year.

With so many holes on the team, I don't think we can take any project players with early picks right now. I'd rather use the #13 on Jarvis Jones on a pass rusher in that scenario, then come back later and take Renfree/Dysert/Tyler Wilson/whoever later on.