Did Idzik Do Good w/ Revis Trade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 22, 2013.

?

Did Idzik Do Well w/ Trade?

1. Yes. He took the best possible offer given the circumstances.

216 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No. He dropped the ball on this one and should/could have gotten more.

38 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I thought we would be able to get more as well, but that wasn't the case. and history tells us that sports reports are wrong far more often than they are correct, so for you to simply choose that this one was the one that was correct, despite the fact that the trade did not play out this way, isn't reasonable. what actually occurred trumps any report.

and arguing that the Jets should have held out and risked getting nothing is easy to say when you have zero on the line. that is like watching someone else play poker and telling them they should go all in -- that is easy to say when you have nothing to lose.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

of course it's easy for me to say hold out, I know Idzik was under the gun and that's why I don't blame him but it is still very disappointing what we got in return for a player the caliber of Revis.

3. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Probably the only grammatical mistake that physically hurts me to look at

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

to me, this all lies on either a)getting two bonafide starters. or B) trading back and getting as much value as possible.

im not gonna sit here and say oh hes got this, bc the bottom line is he has never been the lead in a draft war room before thursday. all faith in him, and i do have some, is blind faith right now.

and discostu, its a simple concept. corners dont win you superbowls. qb's do. therefore if your best player by a mile isnt a qb, or if you dont have a balanced and efficient offense, then you trade that cb and get as much as you can.

we all would have liked more, but there was no market for him. coming off the injury and knowing that we couldnt franchise him next year, meant we had no choice but to trade now or let him walk for nothing.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously you were not gifted with the ability to reason. How sad.

6. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Get more from who exactly? Nobody else wanted to make this deal.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree, it is disappointing, but it is disappointing that is all the market was willing to offer for him.

I have been advocating that the Jets had leverage in this situation, and they did, and that leverage allowed them to get a very high 1st round pick for him. I had hoped the Jets could get more, but the Bucs also had leverage in this situation. this wasn't a situation that only one side had leverage, and Idzik had to make a decision about what was in the best interest in building the Jets into a contender -- getting that 1st rounder or getting nothing. The only gun he was under was the time running out before the draft and the Bucs stance that the 1st and conditional were willing to offer.

had we traded Revis last year we probably get more. but this year, with his injury, and the fact that the world knew we were going to trade him, it reduced what teams were willing to offer. or in this case, team, because nobody else was interested. I also think most teams did not want to have to deal with Revis himself, regardless of how good he is.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Overwhelming majority liked the move.

Good to know!

9. Falco21

Just so everyone is aware, here is what our cap number would have looked like if they signed Revis to that deal:

10. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Really surprised that 85% of this board likes this move judging by how many critical posts I've read.

Reason prevails!

11. nyjunc

that means absolutely nothing, 90% like the Brett favre move too.

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Because at that time, it was a good move. Hindsight is 20/20.

13. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Junc:

Your augments against the move in this, and other threads are justified. But you always look at the long term and its that long term perspective that people respect what you post.

SO my disagreement with you is, what happens if Revis doesn't return to form and can't be at least 80% of what he once was. Does this turn out to be a good move then? Curious if you are willing to change your stance.

14. Falco21

LOL

You crack me up

15. nyjunc

It was bad at the time and now.

I'm not necessarily against it, I hate giving up revis but understand why we did it. My biggest problem is what we got back.

If revis is never his old self and becomes an average corner due to the injury then the move looks better. I am basing my judgements off my expectations that he will again be the best corner in the game and one of the best defensive players.

16. nyjunc

The point is, it may be a great move or it could be a terrible move. Whether most fans agree or not doesn't mean it will be good or bad.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It doesn't match the post ratio which seems to be more 50/50 but I guess in the long run when it's boiled down to a yes or no, most people see this was the only move

18. Falco21

I never said because majority of fans agree with it that it automatically is a good move.

I think it was and it's nice to see majority on here thinks it was. You're the one making false accusations.

19. nyjunc

I didn't make any false accusations, I commented on your post. I apologize if it bothers you.

20. goat784

goat784 Banned

Nobody is gonna give us good value for that 13th.. 5 teams are reported to have already made calls looking to move down and that means it will lower the trade value.