Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Im glad all the fussing is over we can now move on and do what we have to do future wise. I still love Revis and will Root for him on the Bucs but the dude should just be a man about the situation despite what may or may not have happened and just move on and stop talking to the media about Idzik lying to him or Rex Needs to be fired etc. Only way to show the Jets they messed up is come out and dominate. Funny thing is we play them this year and as of right now Pre draft we dont even have a worthy WR that can make it difficult for Revis . We dont possess that #1 WR so I guess we shall see how this will play out .

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes, Gilbert,Feinswine, and Schwantz...have nothing to do with it. You are such a douche. Mevi$ in his televised press conference said.....with a straight face...that the Jets GAVE UP ON HIM BECAUSE OF HIS INJURY.

You are a joke.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Fuck that. I hope he plays week 1 (doubtful), and hes got to cover Hill sprinting down field all day long.

Lets see how that Hammy Holds out.

And Holmes is worse for him, because Holmes will catch balls in the middle of the field trash, where protecting himself, will be on his mind.

And regardless Eric Wright aint a great cover guy, so its likely to be Revis/Holmes, until Wright gets torched by Hill. Just pray he catches it.

#3643 Hobbes3259, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why does their behavior absolve Revis from withholding services under a contract he signed? You seem to have a double standard here. I didn't absolve ownership and management and I don't absolve Revis and his agent either. Tanny isn't here anymore.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Where did I absolve Revis?

My recollection of the off season before 10 was that Tanny had said he would do a new deal with Revis, and then did not until after Revis held out. Did I like that Revis held out? No. Did I understand why he did? Yes.

In the NFL, under most contracts the owners can cut players with no repercussions. If here and there a player outperforms their contract price, as I think it is fair to say Revis did, and the team says he has to live with his contract, he has the legal right to hold out. It is a negotiating tactic. I do not think it appropriate to equate it with some significant moral turpitude, as you imply you do. It is not theft any more than when a team cuts a player under contract. which happens far more often than a player holding out.

No, I don't particularly like holding out as a tactic, but that is what it is.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that isn't honest at all. there are several repercussions to teams for cutting players, whether it be cap hit or losing the services that you paid up front money for. that is why players go for as much guaranteed money up front as possible -- to ensure that if they get cut at some point they have made an acceptable amount of money on the contract to begin with. there is actually a method to the madness of how contracts are structured and why players and teams then negotiate their contracts accordingly.

7. Big Blocker

I meant to say that there are no repercussions in many cases. Your argument is a red herring. You certainly do not dispute, I would hope, that the NFL has many cases of players who were not able to negotiate guaranteed money and who are cut during their contracts.

And cap hits are beside the point, as they don't do the player any good.

Anyway, my main point stands.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

certainly if a player isn't good enough to warrant a significant amount of guaranteed money than yes, he has more to lose than the team. but the cap hit certainly does the player good because it is a result of the money the player got paid up front, so the player isn't walking away with nothing.

whether all players are paid equally or not, and thus have different repercussions to being cut, is irrelevant. at the end, the value of the contract doesn't eliminate the repercussion of cutting players for team even if the effects of doing such vary with each player and contract

9. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Revis for all his protestations has a track record of ripping a contract up 2 years in...get ready TB...its coming in 2015...the Holdout pt 4 starring , Gilbert, Feinsod , Schwartz and Darrell Revis as the suffering CB..

10. NEJets

NEJets Member

No one seems to remember this guy held out for his rookie contact on the first day of his Jets life.
    I am glad he is gone!!!!

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Your analogy of cutting a player and holding out is simply BS. Revis took guaranteed money up front and the team gets the right to cut him for that guarantee.

Your analogy of the team having the right to cut a player and a player holding out being equivalent is nonsense. Revis had already taken the Jets money and held out.

12. Satire?

Satire? Guest

hmm, best player on 6-10 team. hmmm....

OH I KNOW! Let's trade him!

best idea ever.

13. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

In a flat salary cap era , there was only one team willing to pay $16m per year. Not one other team seriously considered an offer..that should tell you everything.

Does it hurt to lose a great player ...undoubtedly but long term we will benefit from this as we can start to build a defense based on 5 or 6 elite players instead of 1 superstar and then trying to fill the holes with average / below skill sets due to cap constraints. Tampa will face same issues in 12-18 months time when rookie contracts hit negotiation point.

You can do this with a QB RE $16M as their play dictates the whole offensive unit but a CB is to much of a luxury in the modern era to earn that kind of money.

To have caved in to public demand and satisfied Revis at $16m + would have been a worse decision than any they could have made.

14. Satire?

Satire? Guest

it sucks pro athletes get addicted to money.

but i guess what are you gonna say when your teammates ask you what you do with your money? oh i save it.. cool let me borrow 10 grand, bro.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

People that see Revis trade as a life threatening impact to our defense are way over stating the value of a CB in today's NFL
    1) if this is such a premier position with an All World CB available why was it that NO OTHER TEAM was willing to let go of the first and NO OTHER TEAM except TB was crazy enough to consider a salary of $16M for a CB. Because on any good team you put your money on the best QB, LOT, NT, DE AND A PREMIER RUSHING OLB FIRST.
    2) with that said the Jets were going to use a high pick to get some help at rushing the passer first, Revis or not. The trade does not change that.
    3) so now we can use the 13th pick to either continue to beef up the D or trade down and get more choices that we desperately need. So for those that think we are now forced to pass up on drafting the O, in my opinion is much to the contrary. It gives us leverage.
    4) finally, having Revis on the team was a hold out in the making, like it or not. If he would have stayed through to course on his prior contract, instead of holding out, come in late and play below his level because of poor football shape, he might still be a Jet
    5) it's TB problem now, and when the elite teams rip passes down the middle to the second, third receiver and stud TE, I hope TB has the horses to stop them, because it will take a lot ore than a overpaid CB. Not to mention hat the better save money to get the elite QB they desperately need, just like us.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis is bitching because he just signed a long-term contract with no guarantees in it. Whatever else is true the contract he signed with the Jets would have had big guarantees, probably alongside language making it very hard for him to hold out.

17. Big Blocker

It is not nonsense to compare different negotiating tactics and approaches to enforcing, or not enforcing, contracts.

When you say Revis had already taken the Jets money, I am not sure what you are referring to. But since you must have been talking about his rookie contract at that point (the only time Revis was under contract and held out, ftr), it helps to remember that the six year deal he signed was effectively turned into a four year deal by his hitting (quite easily) the performance triggers on that. While guaranteed money was definitely part of the overall contract, by 2010, the fourth year, he was scheduled to make only $1million in salary.

Was it reasonable for the Jets to expect Darrelle Revis, who should have been DPOY in 2009, to play for $1million for 2010?

I think not. And Tanny claims to have offered him better deals before camp, so it wasn't even the Jets' position that Revis should have been expected to play 2010 under his rookie contract.

So, if you are saying Revis should have played 2010 for $1million, and not complained, well, I guess you would say that was some kind of principled stand or something, but I think that would have been unreasonable.

Here's a link to a discussion of his rookie contract:

http://www.nyjetscap.com/darrellerevis.html

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You ignore all the upfront money he took and complain that Revis was only playing for 1 million in 2010. He signed a deal with gobs of up front cash and a huge roster bonus in 2009. He signed that deal because it gave the Jets an option to extend him for 2 years at an absolutely stupid number or give him the right to be an unrestricted FA.

Revis essentially didn't bet on himself as a rookie he took the longest possible deal with the most guaranteed money he could. He asked for more in his 3rd year and held out in his 4th year.

#3658 Biggs, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  19. Alpha Alpha 408

Alpha Alpha 408 New Member

What's up kids?

Buc Fan here...been reading the board here to gauge Jet Fan thoughts on the trade...and wanted to give you some insight from the other end. I'm NOT speaking on behalf of ALL Buc fans...but the concensus is pretty clear:

Most RATIONAL, Buc fans are absolutely STOKED over this deal. We don't feel like we over-payed (in draft picks) and we don't feel like you guys got "fleeced". I'm not sure why the national media is crapping all over y'all over this deal. In my opinion, it was a fairly even deal. The Jets HAD to deal him before the draft. Any REASONABLE person could see this. By the same token, BUC FANS KNEW that we had to make this happen. We were 30+ million under the cap. We know that the major issue this team had last year, was the collection of turds that made up our defensive backfield. We are ALL expecting this team to upgrade the seconday this off season. Specifically at CB. Outside of signing a great SAFETY, we hadn't done jack shit.

IF our team had gone into THIS season WITHOUT upgrading at CB...there would've been a friggin' MUTINY in Tampa...amongst the fan base.

I've experienced "rebulding" efforts before. I've been a Buccaneer fan since the team first started playing (1976). TRUST ME...I've seen it. Multiple times.

You guys are in a much better position to do this than we EVER were. You have extra draft picks...and the opportunity to parlay those into even MORE. And lets face it...ANYONE you guys pick, will be an upgrade.

Anyway...good luck to y'all. It's gonna be a rough couple of years for you but you'll be back on track in no time.

20. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

My gut is telling me we're gonna trade the 13th pick and move back, thus getting more picks for Revis.