Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

In the firepit my friend!

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

No, in all honesty give it to a poor kid who would love to own a jersey...Do it the right way fools

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Preach on. Love Revis the player but not Revis the businessman.

4. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Revis was obviously butt hurt during his interview he was asked
    Why does he think Idzik traded him,he responded "Maybe you should ask him"
    When asked did he think Woody wanted him as a jet he responded "Am I a jet anymore ? That should answer your question"
    He went on to say trading to a team he referred to as a "Playoff team" is a blessing. He also deflected taking shots at NYJ.

In my opinion it sounds like Revis never wanted to go but was so hung over on that money he let himself keep his contract need at 16mil,plus he can't go out and say I hate the team I was traded to ! That's why he expressed fake ass gratitude. I don't think he ever wanted to leave us,you can honestly tell he is hurt during this interview and misses us already. As he stated "I am human,i have feelings too" But what happened has happened the hammer has dropped.
    He will get use to it over there. And he might open up a little more and run his mouth I us like Farve did or like Keller did. Time will tell.

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I love the way Revis is "hurt" but when it came to his holdouts..yeah...he was real honest and loyal to his team and coach back then.

Hey...an NFL player should get what ever buck he can in a career thats sometimes short..and could end at anytime. Nobody knows that better than Revis and no Jet played that card better than Revis.

So dont play the "I was getting corporate answers" bullshit when the team treats you the same exact way you played the game. Revis was treated differently because he played the $ game as hard as anyone. Again...good for him...just stop with the my feelings were hurt bullshit when by holding out...you pulled a hamstring and hurt the team that year, which was directly related to you holding out.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Best case scenario:

Revis has a crappy season due to rehabilitation and whatnot and the Bucs realize he is no longer worth the contract. They cut him, then we resign him for 12m, plus we'll have a bunch of young talent and Revis returns to form. Haha yeah I know.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

1 issue he had was looking at the 2007 Draft Class and he seen Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley and Ben Grubbs all getting huge deals by their respective teams except Grubbs who signed in NO but maybe he felt somewhat slighted and didn't feel like a franchise player.

Watching the press conference Dominik was sucking his dick and Revis was eating that shit up so in essence thats what he wanted and he got

Hopefully we max out the potential that 2 1st Round picks gives you and we turn this ship around and we can forget about Revis but that starts on Thursday

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Even though there was only the previous unsubstantiated rumor that Revis said he wanted Mario Williams like money and it was questioned in this thread if Revis actually said this, it now seems he probably did say something along those lines.

If I am looking to negotiate with someone and I find out they want a ridiculous amount that is well above what I am able to pay then I am going to focus my energy on something else that is actually achievable, the trade.

Yes, they may have told him they wanted him to remain a Jet but what they didn't tell him was that he was bat shit crazy if he thought the Jets were going to pay that amount.

And now we get to hear more of his whining, he needs to learn how to move on. Guaranteed if they would have told him their plans it would have been leaked through his agents and would have weakened the Jets bargaining position.

9. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

the fact that revis is bitching about idzik not telling the truth makes me think he really liked being a jet that kind of warms my heart

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And unfortunately for the Jets neither did the 30 other NFL teams that could have traded for him..none wanted to deal with his sorry act any more than the Jets did.

Good article here and one great line that puts it all into perspective.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323735604578438812007184052.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

"Yes, Revis is the NFL's best cornerback. There isn't a close second, and the chances are slim that the Jets will select a player of the same stature with one of two draft picks (including a first-rounder this year) they received in this trade. But by drafting even a very good player at a more meaningful position—a franchise quarterback, an elite pass-rusher—the Jets in theory could get better more quickly than if they'd kept Revis."

#3630 Don, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis crying about the owner not talking to him is almost comically. This is a guy who's idea of negotiating is refusing to deliver services he contracted for.

Revis is a great player and I would love to see him as part of our team but the guy is a weasel and I can see a new GM who is trying to build something might not want him as the leader of the team going forward.

If Idzik can turn this around in a couple of years nobody is going to care. If the Jets go down in flames this will be considered the turning point although reality is the turning point will have been drafting and staying with Mark Sanchez.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you clearly don't understand how the NFL works.

13. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Junc lecturing someone on not understanding is amazing for someone who witters on relentlessly about our "franchise" qb.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, I see this thread has for the most part become a mutual reassurance jag for Jet Front Office Homers. And some posters here sound as if they are Woody's relatives.

But regarding the bolded part, let's be clear about one thing - there is absolutely no reason for the Jets to have failed to even try to negotiate a deal with Revis. It was not an either/or choice to see if some other team would trade for him, or try to negotiate a deal. In fact the widespread and it turns out justified perception that the Jets wanted him gone and would not try and do a deal with him no doubt undermined their ability to get better compensation for him.

A first in this year's lousy draft, and at best a third next year??? AYFKM? Who here in the Trade Revis crowd said back in the winter that they would have thought that was all the Jets would get and that those picks were ample compensation???

No one said that.

But now, to make yourselves all feel better, the homers here say "Well, it was the best the Jets could get" and "The Jets had no choice to trade him".

Nonsense.

And Jet fans actually here and there say they hope Revis gets hurt? Wow, now that is the very definition of a Front Office Homer. Are we not fans of football? The team did not even try to keep Revis, so he left. I say good luck to him. TB is not even in the American conference, let alone the AFC East. TB is not our concern, other than opening day.

This is all about Woody being hoit about how the contract negotiations went in 10, and him being a football moron making such a key decision for hte franchise. When it got out that Woody wanted Revis gone, and Woody did not publicly address that, the Jets lost a ton of leverage, and never got it back.

Nice work, Woody. Now we get to see major league suckage for at least one season, probably more.

15. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

All the damage for this was done when the Jets pressured by the public perception in Hard Knocks agreed to a deal which basically was the financial equivalent of a payday advance loan

16. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

All i can hope for now is that week 1 he allows a touchdown. Im saving up money now I will be there with my revis jersey

17. Big Blocker

Let me be clear despite my view that Woody has mishandled this situation from beginning to end that I have not predicted that Idzy cannot turn it around. It is possible. It will take great picks, possibly some big FA moves next year and in 15, and of course getting rid of Sanchez and replacing him with at least a mid pack Qb.

But in the meantime the Jets have shortchanged their D most egregiously. And that talent downgrade for the D is going to make them look hard at using high picks on D when the O is in dire need of high picks being invested in it.

I think hte mountain the Jets have to climb has gotten much taller with Revis gone. Starting Kyle Wilson (and who is the nickel back now?) means the Jets lose tremendous flexibility on D. They probably have to try and get an OLB with a high pick now. And we get to watch a lot more of Kyle Wilson.

Or maybe find something better to do on Sundays.

18. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

if Revis signed a 10-12 million APY then it would be expected for fans to be upset because that was do-able but 16million? lol fuck outta here

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I love Revis the player but you can't ignore the guy doesn't believe in living up to a contract, he held out while under contract that he signed.

By having that kind of POS as your team's best player and leader when your rebuilding creates other issues. Building a great team in the NFL is never about 1 player with the exception of the QB.

There is no deal that management could make with Revis that would guarantee us flexability. Revis is all about tying up as much cap as possible and being the highest paid defensive player in football. That isn't inconsequential in the equation.

20. Big Blocker

I do not absolve Tanny and Woody for their part in creating problems in the negotiations with Revis. As many here do.