Did Idzik Do Good w/ Revis Trade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 22, 2013.

?

Did Idzik Do Well w/ Trade?

1. Yes. He took the best possible offer given the circumstances.

216 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No. He dropped the ball on this one and should/could have gotten more.

38 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. goat784

goat784 Banned

Who u Rather pick

Mingo or Jones?

2. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Does any-1 here "hopes" that Revis posts a big *FAIL* this season w. the Bucs?

I mean....I truly appreciated what Reev bot to my Jets however here's hoping that he amounts to nothing more than yr basic CB who no longer cannot contain receivers even on "Gilligan's Island".

3. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I wish Revis a speedy recovery and to continue a great career he was my favorite jet,my favorite player... BUT the NYJ mean more then he ever could. I hope we get a nice W In week 1 against him just because we need every win we can get this season ! Plus ... Lets face it the media will slobber over the fact Revis beat us if it happened.
    But besides that,I feel Idzik did what he HAD to do I thought he was slightly pressured into trading a little more early then he wanted to but hell... Don't think he was squeezing much else out. Will we have know if that's true ? NO ! So anyone saying "OH ! OH ! We could of got wayyy more for Revis we had leverage!!" Sounds ignorant as hell because unless you know the Bucs GM personally you really don't know shit.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

To get the big picture, consider:

1. Revis would have walked. That results in compensation pick in the 3rd. That is 97th at its best.

2. For that, Idzik essentially a. picked up 1st round pick and b. got better than 97th pick for the 3rd. All that for one year of CB production.

3. What you must also consider is the drop off in the secondary production; if last year's performance is any indication, they didn't lose much.

So did Idzik do well? He damn sure did. Of course I would have liked to see more compensation, but it is not like there was a bidding war going on either, right?

5. goat784

goat784 Banned

He got robbed in the trade. Tampa was desperate to get him and we Shoulda landed the 13th a 3 rd this year and a pick next year.

6. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Oh I'm sorry,you have insights that let you know they were willing to go that far ? Well shit... Your right Idzik sucks get his ass outta here !

7. goat784

goat784 Banned

If this is what is to be expected then the Jets are in for a nightmare.. Getting only one pick this year is a joke.

8. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I'm done. This is ignorance in its purest form ^ first you say Mark Sanchez is the best we got and now this unthought out idiotic post ? Don't be a clown 2 first round picks go a long way we can trade down and get more since the draft's late 20's 1st round to 2nd is all productive players we could get 2 studs. We NEED OFFENSE. Revis is a luxury not a need. We were 2nd without him as a pass def.
    our D will be fine it's our O that have scored over 20 points almost 4 -5 out of 16 games last season it HAD to be done and it was the best we were getting without letting him just play out the year and walk.

9. flagator07

flagator07 New Member

Right on. Plus it's pretty rare to get much more than a #1 for any player that's not a QB, even if he is the best at his position. I think teams have learned from the Herschel Walker trade.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You can tell me all you want but TB was desperate and we could have held out for more.

if I was Idzik I would say "go get Dee Miliner", Dee's peak is not anywhere near where Revis is today.

Sometimes you have to take chances, I'd rather take the chance the deal blows up than to getting less than proper value in return but I get it that Idzik was under the gun from Woody so that's why he did it. I am alloed to dislike the trade, right?

Desperation doesn't mean they give up the farm at first discussion, the pressure was mounting and would have been greater the closer we got to Thursday night. It's a negotiation.

For those worried about him going to the Pats, when is the last time the Pats broke the bank to sign a FA? when is the last time the Pats broke the bank to sign one of their own? they underpay Brady who is the man responsible for all their success. I have a hard time believing Revis would have been a Pat unless he took far less than he was worth and that's not what Revis is all about.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We had great safeties..they need to be replaced or you will see the real dropoff this year.

I still think it was a good traded and had to be done.

12. nyjunc

we saw far fewer passes b/c we were always playing from behind.

In the 13 games w/o Revis opponents threw 395 times and ran it 398 times. The #s look better but you have to factor in how bad our offense was and how opponents played more conservatively against you. The 2 safeties were good but not great, Cro was excellent but Wilson was hit or miss. I'd feel much more comfortable if Wilson was back at nickel back. we have major secondary issues right now outside of Cro.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ +1

If nothing else, the extra #1 pick gives the Idzik an additional OPTION come Thursday in a draft not top-heavy but with value depth throughout rounds 2 & 3.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

here is the problem with your argument. you haven't shown that the Bucs were desperate, you simply were willing to find out how desperate they may have been and risked losing the deal all together.

so stop claiming they were desperate, because you haven't presented one bit of evidence that they were, and your argument in defense of that assertion doesn't defend it at all and instead simply is your own preference that the Jets would have been more willing to find out how desperate they were in risk of losing the deal all together.

problem is, that isn't a very good argument -- that you would rather have gotten nothing than the 13th pick if the Bucs weren't desperate.

I make one joke and people are actually discussing it. the joke should have been obvious.

15. nyjunc

all reports have show how desperate they were, w/o any of us being in the rooms w/ these guys or on the phone we'll never know how desperate either side was. Sometimes we have to trust info we see. This was making or breaking TBs offseason.

Sometimes you have to take risks, I would have risked getting nothing rather than underselling Revis BUT I understand Idzik had orders from above so I do not blame him- this is a Woody issue.

add smileys if you are joking and others have discussed it seriously.

16. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

i totally agree that he was probably the best player in franchise history, but you cant lock up more money on a corner than the pats have locked up in tom brady. thats just stupid.

i honestly dont believe at this point that we would ever win with him, simply bc he will command too much money. my thoughts on this cnahged btw when he got 16 mil a year. thats absolutely ludicrous money. any team that invests that in a position that cant outright win you a game is retarded. plain and simple. its about time we had someone in this organization that sees this.

and also. fuck him and his agents. yes i know its a business and i dont blame him one single bit for wanting as much money as he can get. but i root for the team, and he was attempting to hold this team hostage for his own personal greed for the 3rd time. im sure you cant pin all the blame on him. im sure his agents have a substantial amount to do with it. (after all, they have had revis, vjax, and roddy white hold out over the last 3 years alone. its their tactic du jour).

so at the end of the day, the return plus getting that negativity out of the organization is a plus in the long term. we dont have to deal with the nonsense and cave to the obscene demands of a player and agent that only care about numero uno, and we can use the return to rebuild a long term, successful team.

now just dont fuck up with these picks idzik :)

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

For his talent alone, he is worth more than what the Jets received, but (and it's a big "but") Revis has baggage. The baggage is the fact that he wants too much money for someone playing as a cornerback. The greatest cornerback ever to play the game (Revis) doesn't have as much of an impact as the best QB in the league at any time, not now and not in the past and not in the future. I mostly blame Revis and his legal team, not the Jets or Idzik.

18. nyjunc

your last sentence says it all, it will come down to how he drafts. if he drafts well we will be able to look back at the trade as a positive, if not?

19. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

How on earth does 85% of this board think trading away the teams best player was a great move by the new GM?

Honestly, I'm off this team til Woody sells. Dudes got no business owning an NFL franchise if he can't bring himself to pay one of the NFL's elite players.

And the draft doesn't factor into it for me, asking the 13th pick in the draft to live up to and replace the best player in franchise history is a pointless endeavor. Woody Johnson is the one who has to live up to what he just did, and there's no way he's ever going to.

#79 discostu570, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You don't need a player as skilled as Revis in order to be as valuable as Revis. If someone were so inclined, they could assign a numeric value to each position and multiply it by the individual player's numeric skill rating... what I'm saying is, if you take someone at a more valuable position who maybe is very good but not Revis good, then the Jets are still winning in the end.

There are a lot of factors that made this trade a necessity. When you consider the reality that one way or another Revis was walking out the door this year or next coming away with two high draft picks is a good thing.

Also, and not to abuse the transitive property here but Revis was picked with the 14th pick overall. If our scouts have done a good job the Jets could come away with a player who is a mainstay for the Jets for a long time. The Jets will NOT replace Revis at CB, but they could lock down another position that they have needed. Just like when we replaced John Abraham with Nick Mangold. To this day, Mangold is one of the top 5 Jets on the roster.

Ultimately its up to Idzik to make the lemonade but losing Revis is not a death sentence for the Jets.