Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Re-read my post you quoted - that's exactly what I'm not saying. Unless he has a catastrophic injury I'm fairly positive they are going to want to keep him because of what they gave up. My question is what happens if his on field production is $8-$10 million short of his actual salary this coming season? How willing are the Bucs going to be to enter year two of the deal voluntarily committing a potential $8-$10 million overpay?

I just think it's a real possibility that has some interesting consequences. I'm intrigued much the same way at what happens from Revis' side next offseason if he is back to being Revis this year.

2. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

Waaaahhhhhh! The Jets lied to me...... man even with the trade we have to listen to this bullshit......Take the sideshow to Tampa. It's time to show the players that no one is safe on this team. Play football and keep your mouth shut.........Good luck to Tampa trying to negatiate with this guy next year

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

You can't throw out 12-13 games of data. Like below, the numbers are based off efficiency not quantity. Efficiency stats can be misleading in small circumstances (ie Joe McKnight plays 1 snap and defends the pass and never defends again, 100% rating) but the numbers take into account that and set a minimum limit. That was 12 games of Wilson covering the #2 receiver and Cro the 1 receiver. The pass defense isn't going to be lost without Revis, and if we add a pass rusher or Wilk/Coples/Ellis improve, a pass rush can cover back end deficiencies than vice versa

Yeah football outsiders is nice that way. They negate the quantity differences which is helpful is truly judging players.

My thinking is now Cro will primarily cover the best receiver, Revis' job and Wilson will primarily cover the 2nd best receiver, Cromartie's old job. By this thinking, Cro is stepping in for Revis and Wilson for Cro. Will the switch be bigger for Wilson than Cro, yeah, but I still don't think Wilson is replacing Revis by covering the #1 receiver.

If we look at it in a vacuum and ignore the offensive players on the field, Cro stays, Revis leaves, Wilson joins. By that logic, yes Wilson replaces Revis. But why would you ignore what each person's duty was. Cro is switching into Revis' role of covering the best wide receiver and Wilson slides into Cro's role of covering second best. By this logic, Wilson replaces Cromartie who replaces Revis.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Idzik was smart about not showing his cards to Revis. You know damn well he would have went and cried to the media if Idzik told him he was getting traded. And that would have given TB all the power in the negotiation.

All Revis cares about is money. That's why he's no longer a Jet.

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

You just can't call it replacing him if the guy was a full starter anyway. It's not always so cut and dried with 1 covers 1 anyway.

To me, the replacement is who takes the snaps that the other player would've received.

It's not the same in baseball, because they don't take the field at the same time, but say your team had two top starting pitchers. One leaves. Would you say "No big deal, our #2 replaces him"? That's not replacing. Or if you had a great CF and LF. The CF leaves and the LF moves into his position. That's not replacing either. It's merely shifting around existing pieces.

But in any case, your wording doesn't change anything. It's either Revis leaves and is replaced by X (just one downgrade), or Cromartie replaces Revis (downgrade) and as a direct result, X replaces Cromartie (bigger downgrade, and then you combine it with the first part). Either way, it's a significant downgrade.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Funny stuff, reading through this thread and seeing how peoples ideals change.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

If you guys want to be pissed at anyone, it should be Tanny 100%. He's the one that got us in this position with all the shitty contracts and roster management. Idzik is just the guy trying to clean up the disaster Tanny left behind. This trade was inevitable, Idzik is just the one that had to deal with it because of the situation he inherited.

He's handling it as best as I could want... Lets see about this draft now

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

And its blatantly obvious he was just in it for the money. He said he wanted to stay a Jet, but only if he was offered a contract like Tampa did... Selfish player. No way around it.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Different mindsets then.

I see Cromarties primarily covering the top receiver while Wilson primarily covering the 2nd best receiver. Since Revis primarily covered the top receiver, I see Cro as replacing him.

Wilson is replacing the empty the CB spot created, but Cro is replacing Revis' primary duties. I'm putting more emphasis on the second one, you the first one.

Yes it creates a downgrade, but I still don't think it creates a hole at the CB position. I think that position needs 0 upgrades heading into the season as of right now. I'm not sure about our depth, but UDFA/7th round can take care of that

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

From your point of view, Revis's departure creates two downgrades. Revis to Cro is significant, and Cro to Wilson or whatever else is maybe even more significant.

Or actually three downgrades because what about the nickel spot?

Will Cro be used the same way Revis was? I'm not convinced. If not, he's definitely not replacing him.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Amazed at how pro-Jets and anti-Revis Cimini's tweets have been since the trade was announced..who would have guessed....

13. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

thank god i never bought a revis jersey

14. AlToon

AlToon Member

Tannenbaum screwed up with Revis. They should have held tight in 2007 and 2010. Too much money in the rookie contract. They should have held tight in 2010 to the 2007 contract. Play or stay home. Then they gave him the opt out after 4 years. Sean Gilbert influence.

15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I thought I'd sleep on it and feel better about it. Nope, still feel lousy.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I expected Revis to keep it real and he did, Woody didn't want anything to do with him so he moved him.

Also Sapp calling Revis selfish is crazy to say on the field and in the locker room Revis is 100% a team player but his personal shit is his business and he's got to do whats best for him.

If he would have gotten his long term deal earlier he could have easily moved money around to help the team cap wise but he was never in position to do so except signing a deal he thought he wasn't worth.

At the end of the day its sad to see him go but we're on to new things and I'm interested to see where Idzik goes from here

17. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Sapp is a clown who has no business speaking to anyone about money issues.

It is sad to see him go and the way this all went down but you're right: we'll see what happens Thursday.

I hope we make the right decision but who knows with Idzik. Maybe we will trade the 13th for some conditional 2016 picks because there was no better offer. lol.

In all seriousness though, the spotlight is on Idzik to make this deal truly worthwhile and prove he knows what he's doing. We shall see.

18. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

When a player demands more money for playing well, he's selfish.
    When a team cuts a player for playing poorly, it's just business.
    Ridiculous.

19. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Well said. I don't know why Revis demand was ever an issue. If the team doesn't want to pay him, that's their prerogative, but no one is wrong just for asking for a certain number.

20. ibleedgreen7476

Can someone just tell me what the conditions are on the 2014 pick? How high or low can it be, and what has to happen. I tried looking for it, but there are just too many pages to cover, thanks.