Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we could have, Idzik panicked. TB was desperate for Revis, we could have gotten more. we should have gotten at least a 1 and a 2. If it was going to be a 1 and 3 we should have gotten a later rd pick too.

we know we were trading him this year, the point is we could have and should have gotten more for him. By all reports TB was as desperate to get him as we were to trade him if not more desperate. we had TB where we wanted and Idzik panicked.

I don't blame Idzik, he had his orders from Woody and had to unload him but it's still a failure as of now. I like Idzik, I think he'll do a good job here but yesterday made it a little tougher.

Losing Revis hurts, Cro did an outstanding job in his place but our #2 was Wilson instead of Cro. That's a huge difference.

20.25 pts is a lot for a good offense and our O was incredibly bad. The point is not to bash the D but to realize our D wasn't nearly as good as the #s.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It is about money. Can't pay $16 mil a year while rebuilding. Knowing that, it is actually impressive Idzik got a 1st and a 3rd for a guy coming off an ACL injury that he couldn't afford to pay.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

No. Woody did.
    Idzik just did his best to get what he could out of it.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If they draft CB (Milliner or Rhodes) with one of their 1st rounders, I will literally break something...

Not happy about the trade but at least get offense out of the deal. This offense has been putrid.

Idzik will be defined by this trade. It's a ballsy move for a young GM's first big move to trade away the teams best player by far. I didn't like the return on him and I felt they could've done a lot of things different. I admire Idzik for being bold enough to take such a risk though (if he wasn't told to do so by Johnson - then its a whole new scary ballgame), but I worry it wasn't the right move.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's not that impressive. They'd got a 3rd anyway even if he walked next year. Essentially he absorbed a cap hit, and traded this team's best player and leader for a 1st round pick in a weak draft.

Tampa made out like bandits, getting a player of Revis' caliber who is far and away better than anything they'd got with the 13, without a guaranteed contract.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

They did not create a hole at CB. That's ridiculous. They took a position the Jets were #1 in the league in to what now top 10 maybe. Cromartie, Wilson, Trufant is a solid 1-3. It's not as good as before obviously, but it's not a hole. What they did do was add another 1st rounder to address one of our actual holes.

I will be furious if we go CB too. That would negate the whole point of the trade. CB is fine on this team, other teams get by with a lot less at CB because of a pass rush. Something we could really use. Build the defense inside out now, most of the successful (SB winning) defenses are built this way this time around.

7. displacedfan

They'd get a 3rd if they signed no other FA who were starters. If they signed one, it removes the pick. So with all that cap space next offseason, if the Jets didn't use any of it on a starter they would have gotten the last pick of the 3rd round. So unless you think the Jets are staying pat with all that cap space, they were getting nothing. But I agree what Idzik did wasn't imrpessive, but it was necessary.

8. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I don't see how anyone can lay this on Idzik ... in fact in my opinion he should be lauded for getting what he did, pushed into a corner as he was. Before he was announced as GM it was decided that the Jets would not attempt to meet Revis's price.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Interesting quote from Idzik..

“We had some discussions with his representation, and it became quite evident to us that there was a substantial difference between Darrelle's view of his value and ours,” said Idzik in reference to reaching a mutually acceptable extension.

What we'll never know.......did they really put forth a concerted effort to reasonably re-sign him, or was this a trade at any cost decision by Woody?

They better nail this draft.
    Blue chippers at 9 and 13, or trade 1 of the picks down for more picks.
    No developmental 'talent' prospects unless a QB.

10. 518

518 Member

Can we all agree our defense is not the problem? It held it's own without Revis last year... This team needs some explosive playmakers on offense to put POINTS ON THE BOARD. We need touchdowns. I hope this #13 pick helps us do just that whether it be a Tavon Austin or an EJ Manuel.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I never said the Jets made out better than the Bucs. Clearly, they did not. Still, I am not sure how much more the Jets could have recieved.

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If the trade essentially becomes Revis for Austin I might literally vomit.

Edit: If we pick Smith and Austin then I definitely will.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 12m
    Jets have sent out word they're interested in trading down to accumulate extra picks, per source. Sound strategy. #Jets

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

youre absolutely right. Junc's claim that TB was desperate is predicated on the hypothesis that the ONLY way TB could improve their secondary was to get Revis. That hypothesis, obviously is beyond ridiculous. Unless you believe that theres 31 bad secondaries in teh NFL because they dont have Revis. Hhahahaha

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Bingo. I feel like half this board is missing this point. Woody wanted Revis gone. Idzik was dealt a shitty hand he played it to the best of his ability.

TB was the ONLY suitor for Revis who is coming off an ACL injury. The Jets had ZERO leverage in this situation and Idzik still managed to grab a 1st and 3rd for him.

I'm pissed Revis is gone like most on this board, but my blame lies with Tanny (for giving him a band aid contract 3 yrs ago) and Woody (for wanting him gone way back when).

16. displacedfan

Good good good. That's what I like to hear.

17. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Lmfao did someone really say that trading the best CB of all time and replacing him with a league worst Kyle Wilson wasn't "creating a hole".

We made the team worst yesterday, and unless the player we get for him is a HOF level player, the trade would have accomplished nothing besides letting Woody have his ego stroked.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

FWIW, everyone keeps saying we would have gotten a 3rd rounder as comp anyway. 1) it would depend on whether or not the Jets signed a class A free agent or not and 2) the TB pick can be 10, 15, 20 spots higher than a 3rd round comp.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Quit talking sense. It's frowned upon here.

20. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

That's good at least.