Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Stop clouding the argument with facts.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Picks me shit to me. I want to know who we are targeting. Players win games not a 31st and 34th pick. If the players we want will be at those pick trade them if not keep the picks.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He is in his prime and still has numerous years left in his prime, this is not 1970. knee injuries are not career enders.

Idzik failed, I don't blame it all on him. I think he took his orders from Woody so this is more of a Woody issue but either way Idzik failed w/ this trade.

TB was every bit as desperate to acquire Revis as we were to deal him. We had TB right where we wanted them w/ the clock ticking towards the draft. You have to get more than a 1 and a 3/4.

I understand Revis was being traded no matter what, we got virtually nothing back for him. I get it that the folks who love the draft more than actual games are thrilled b/c we got 2 more picks and they hope we trade down and get more so they can have fun filling out more mocks but this trade was not a good trade in terms of value we received for our best player.

right now all we have to go on is what we got for him and what we got was not much.

4. Don

I agree with this. We will have a ton of picks next year with everybody we lost as well as TB's 3rd. I want the best players we can find with the picks we have this year and only even considering trading down if there is no one we want.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That'd be ideal.

I was in that camp too but living with an unhappy Revis while you are starting the rebuild was probably a bad idea and the pros in the Jets management suite realized that.

It was a good deal. If Revis wasn't rehabbing an ACL and if he didn't want a zillion dollars and if he wasn't Capt Holdout and if more teams were interested due to all of the above the Jets certainly could have gotten more for him. And if my Aunt...

6. Br4d

And this will become apparent particularly if we trade the 13 for the 25 since I highly doubt that would be a straight-up deal.

I'm not sure anybody has ever been traded for more than the Jets got for Revis coming off of an injury season in which the player missed 80% of the games. In fact I'd kind of doubt it.

7. Don

How many of the 14 1/2 games he didn't play last year did we lose because we didn't have Revis and how many did we lose because our offense totally sucked? We still had the 8th best defense in football but woefully only the 30th offense. That 16 million a year will be must better spent on the offensive side of the ball.

8. Br4d

You can't really use last year as a comparison for anything because for most of the season the Jets WR's and TE's were about as bad a group as I have seen take the field in the NFL. The RB's were no picnic either. The QB? 'nuff said there.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Junc, thats when you let the player go. He was in his prime, but hes going ro be 29, hes got a coupke years left....and given his history, and demands, he made it untenable...

Amd hes a breat yalent, but lets face it.,.being a cap killer is almost as bad as Badtonios act.

10. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

QFT

love revis as a player and as a man. Hate the way his camp treats contracts.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Revis is going to be 28 in July. By the time the Jets are a legit contender again, he may be in his 30s. I'm not sure what value Revis would have on this team in the next couple years during a rebuild.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Can you please plug a keyboard into your fucking Ipad? Your posts are descending into pigeon-Lithuanian.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That wasn't the only options. We are still taking the cap hit this year for Revis we could have showcased him for a few games. We lose value by not having the extra pick this year but if a key guy gets hurt in pre-season or early in the year and Revis is playing well it might have driven up his value?

There are no perfect solutions. The key really is how good Idzik is in drafting and filling in with FA's. If he is one of the 2 or 3 best in the NFL we will be fine, if he is a JAG at talent evaluation and our coaching staff can't quickly develop the players trading Revis for 1 pick this year and a mid rounder next year is going to be an outright disaster?

Tanny didn't make the decision to unload Revis, Idzik did.

My guess is Revis is damaged goods and I have little expectation that we are going to get a game changing player like Revis with the pick, I'm pretty sure that with the money we ultimately save on the cap and Revis being damaged goods, this will ultimately work out fine. We aren't just getting a pick, next year we get cap room to sign additional players. That's the good part of this deal that can't be overlooked.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, he is saying you should be happy you got such a high pick for a player that already had one foot out the door and was going to leave you with nothing but a $14 million cap hit next year while playing for another team.

15. nyjunc

We were 8th in yds, 20th in scoring D. That's not a good ratio.

Our D was good but it looked much better than it was b/c of how bad our O was and how teams played us so conservatively knowing the only way we could beat them was if they turned it over a bunch of times.

Yet another example where rankings w/o context don't mean much. Watch the games, understand the game.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If people want complain:
    -complain about the fact that he had a band-aid contract that wouldn't let us franchise him
    -complain about the fact that the agents/Woody/organization's relationship deteriorated so much the Jets and them couldn't negotiate a reasonable contract
    -complain about the fact he got hurt in week 3 ending his season hurting his value
    -complain about the fact due to missed picks and other high contracts 16 million would be unrealistic for the current state of the Jets right now.

However when Idzik walked into all of the above, he had 1 option if Revis wanted 16 million, trade him to whoever would take him. Only the Bucs would take him which stinks for us, but he shipped him off because well the above led him to that choice only.

17. nyjunc

I'm thrilled we gave away the best player in franchise history for one premium pick. How could we not be?

18. nyjunc

I don't blame Idzik, I blame Woody more than Idzik but that doesn't change the fact that Idzik failed and was fleeced by a desperate TB team.

19. Br4d

This is how language changes over time. It has nothing to do with culture, it's all about one person scribbling all over the place with a blunt crayon.

20. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

How can you love the man and hate the way his 'camp' treats contracts? He is a big boy, he hired his representatives, etc. The man youre lovin' on has screwed the Jets a few times now. Love his talent? Absolutely. The person? Not so much.