Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I am shocked that someone who considers the 13th pick in the draft giving up nothing has the ability to even type, nevertheless figures out how to use a computer.

the 13th pick is gold. only people who wanted their ego stroked and think we needed to "win" this trade would minimize what an opportunity it is to have the 9th and 13th pick in the draft.

the Jets didn't need to win this trade by being able to brag about receiving a bunch of picks; they needed to receive a great pick that would put them in a position to rebuild the roster.

this is a good trade right now, because of the opportunity, regardless of who we draft. but depending on who we draft, this can be a great trade in a couple of years.

but nobody should be whining about making a good trade, unless it is just about their ego.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Very well - that did help me regain my sanity. It is true.

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Revis blows his leg out: We win the trade.

Revis holds out: We win the trade.

Tampa Bay fails to make the playoffs: We win the trade.

We draft two studs: We obviously win the trade.

The only way Tampa Bay wins the trade is if they make the playoffs/win the Superbowl with that contract. This isn't a bad trade. It just isn't. The compensation is on the low side, but we're coming out the winners (ignore the JETS ARE A JOKE media spin).

4. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Wish we could hear the conference call

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Again, which means it is even a better deal for the Jets.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Dude, there was only one buyer.

7. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I remember ESPN's Mike Golic (not that he's known for being an insider, or insightful, or, well...smart) insisted for days that the Jets would get no better than a 2nd for a player coming off an ACL injury who's a soon-to-be free agent.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

the media will tell all

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm sad to see Revis go. He's a great player and played exceptionally well for us. Considering all of the circumstances though, it is a fair deal and one that I believe the Jets had to make. Good bye Revis Island. Time to roll up our sleeves and rebuild this franchise.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

And for those saying the Jets will just draft a bust - don't forget they got REvis with the #14 overall pick so they can strike gold from time to time.

11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm really disappointed that there weren't 3 picks involved in this deal. and I'm REALLY disappointed the conditional is a low conditional next year. To me if your getting 2 picks, one this year and one next year the conditional should have had a maximum value of at least the 2nd round next year, aka a condtional 4th-2nd round pick at minimum. Now the only chance this deal has of being equal value is if the Jets can trade down a time or two in order to gain additional picks.

12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Cimini wrote $12 M of dead money on cap this year after the trade.

Not that we were gonna sign any FA anyway, but that sucks.

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Hobbes said the same thing. I killed him at the time for it, but realistically, the Jets put Revis out there, and there was only one buyer. Yes Revis is the best corner in the game, but what were we really going to get given the players injury, holdout history and contract that didn't allow for him to be franchised?

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Meh - I feel like we got fleeced a bit here and I was hoping for more out of our new GM. That said, there was no way we were paying that kind of money to a CB - it's fucking stupid.

Hopefully Idzik has something in the works for trading back at least one of those first orund picks.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Craig Carton ‏@cc660 2m
    memo to Jets fans: Even with Revis the Jets were not going to be good, lets not act like we just lost a shot at the super bowl

this is funny because guys act like getting the 13th pick will bring us any closer

with Revis we have a shot at the playoffs we've had it the 3 years he's played and almost went to the SB, without him we're picking 9th

16. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

On the other hand 16 million a year is more than Revis is worth, even if none of the money is guarenteed, which in and of itself is suprising.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I love Revis more than most but for those who think the only thing we got out of this trade is 2 picks you are wrong. 16 million is an insane amount of money that we can use to fill other holes. Especially now that a first round draft pick makes chump change early on we are saving a lot of money in the future.

I think we will have to wait at least 2 years until we are competing for championships again. Most likely more than 2 years. I'd rather build for a good future then keep trying to be decent right now.

Its sad but getting a first for Revis after we almost definitely would have lost him anyway was the right move.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Revis betting on himself with the no guaranteed money; gotta respect that.

19. AlToon

AlToon Member

20. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Not really sure how all the cap stuff works but how much money do we save this year, if any, with Revis off the team?