Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can you please recognize the fact that TB and the NYJ are miles apart in readiness to win the superball.
    There was no way in hell we could afford the $16M hit, nor apparently was any other team but TB. We need players at a number of key positions including QB. We need draft picks, not a great CB with too large an appetite and an injury that can adds risk. We would not have been a seroious contender with or without him, but now we have an opportunity to draft an immidiate starter at a key position, a a solid 3rd next year.
    Given the absolute lack of leverage our GM had he did a super job.
    Now, what do you think the chances are that Revis will not be in the roster in 2014 after TB shelling out $16M for the first year? If he is there we get a 3rd, if not that means TB really got screwed on this deal. Win win for the Jets

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

If he wins 6 games he should be COTY

3. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Don't think Sanchez or whomever is behind center will throw at him.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Think about why only one team was willing to spend that much... it's not like they're the only team with cap room!

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

History...just show me the Super Bowl champs that paid their CB the moon and went on to be great teams.

Who on earth are the teams with their greatest player being a CB. I will show you many teams that won Superbowls with a great front four and a good D backfield.

Yes..the Bucs were able to do this because they were the cheapest team in the NFL the last few years..and their fan base was almost about to kill the ownership there if they didnt start spending money.

Top it all off, and I read none of that money is guaranteed. Has a Monopoly feel to it.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

EXACTLY. This was the ONE AND ONLY bargaining chip we had and Idzik has flushed it down the toilet. Unreal.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am reading only 1 pick next year: a 4, conditional to a 3. And Revis gets no guaranteed money. Will he hold out next year? Nothing guaranteed. That amazes me.

8. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Can I just point out that the inverse argument can be made as well...Revis and the Jets went to two AFC champ games with Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, and a bunch of girl scounts rushing the passer...oh and Mark Sanchez at QB.

It is debatable whether a pass rush is more valuable than a CB, depends on the scheme, depends on the player...but what isn't debatable is that CB, Pass Rusher, Tackle, and QB are the 4 cornerstone positions in football, so all these people posting about how a CB doesn't matter, please enough already

9. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

It's a 3rd. You really don't think Revis will be on the Bucs roster next March?

Idzik was able to get a 1st and 3rd working with NO LEVERAGE. Not only that, the Bucs were the only seriously interested team.

Idzik played the hand he was dealt, and he played it very well.

With that said, I'm still pissed Revis is no longer on this team and for that I blame Woody and Tanny.

10. Mr. Green Pants

If that's yer attitude, what's the point of hanging onto him when the GM isn't going to be able to draft well enough to surround him with a winning team? Your best move is probably just to switch teams.

11. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100% bro.

12. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Recent history of the 13th pick. I wouldnt call it nothing...

2012 Michael Floyd Cardinals 1 13 13 WR Notre Dame
    2011 Nick Fairley Lions 1 13 13 DT Auburn
    2010 Brandon Graham Eagles 1 13 13 LB Michigan
    2009 Brian Orakpo Redskins 1 13 13 LB Texas
    2008 Jonathan Stewart Panthers 1 13 13 RB Oregon
    2007 Adam Carriker Rams 1 13 13 DE Nebraska
    2006 Kamerion Wimbley Browns 1 13 13 LB Florida State
    2005 Jammal Brown Saints 1 13 13 T Oklahoma
    2004 Lee Evans Bills 1 13 13 WR Wisconsin
    2003 Ty Warren Patriots 1 13 13 DT Texas A&M
    2002 Donte' Stallworth Saints 1 13 13 WR Tennessee
    2001 Marcus Stroud Jaguars 1 13 13 DT Georgia
    2000 John Abraham Jets 1 13 13 LB South Carolina
    1999 Troy Edwards Steelers 1 13 13 WR Louisiana Tech
    1998 Takeo Spikes Bengals 1 13 13 LB Auburn
    1997 Tony Gonzalez Chiefs 1 13 13 TE California
    1996 Walt Harris Bears 1 13 13 DB Mississippi State
    1995 Mark Fields Saints 1 13 13 LB Washington State
    1994 Joe Johnson Saints 1 13 13 DE Louisville
    1993 Brad Hopkins Oilers 1 13 13 T Illinois

13. jaywayne12

Ok...a couple things..and if he doesnt show up and "ball"?

You rarely get trades during the year that are huge. The biggest thing is this..if Tampa gets off to a 2-4 start...you really think they make that trade? When they can sign him in 6 months?

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Look at JPP, elite pass rusher didn't do shit this year and the Giants suffered because they had shit CB play

Denver had 2 stud pass rushers and couldn't beat the Ravens because of a shit secondary

the 49ers had a legit pass rush and got beat down by Anquan fucking Boldin

I dont care how good your pass rush is if you corners cant stop their receivers you aint got shit

I cant count how many times I've seen a pass rusher disappear in a game while I've rarely seen Revis get owned(Stevie Johnson in 2011 did a great job and really thats it)

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm ok with the 13 and the conditional. A couple of months ago people were talking about a 2nd and a 5th. The 13 is real value for the rebuild and we'd never have paid him $16M a year to play CB. Those are Al Davis funny numbers. If the Bucs pull that off and win a championship my hat is off to them.

The Marlins spike a payroll every decade or so and shoot the moon with it. Maybe that's the South Florida formula. Won't work in NY though, the pay scale up here doesn't accommodate CB's looking to get paid like QB's even if it is just for a year or two before you cut them.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Dominate what? We just do what every other team does and throw (if we have a QB who can..you know..actually throw) to the other side of the field..all he will dominate is your mind if you let him.

17. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If Revis finishes this season healthy, he'll hold out to turn some of that money guaranteed.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yes, but they also had Rex's brand new scheme in place that due to the multiple exotic looks, made it easier to generate a pass rush. Just because you say "oh the Jets only had Calvin Pace and BT rushing the passer", doesnt mean that is a bad thing. We had a pretty good pass rush then. It may not have been due to one on one battles being one, but we still pressured the QB.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

You need 2/3 players and other top stars to be underpaid or on rookie contracts. Currently on our team we don't have that

20. jaywayne12

Does anyone really believe with all of the crap that has gone down that Revis would sign with us after this year? Come on guys...did you really buy that crap that he wanted to be a Jet?

He just signed a 96 million contract that isnt guaranteed. This is a no brainer..no brainer.