Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Was really expecting more back in the trade. Wonder what we could have got if the first was in 2014, which I preferred anyway so we could get our QB.

That being said, no way we pay him that money so at least we got more than a third round comp pick.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

As I said before, it sucks to lose Revis the player, but not the contract. 16 mill a year for a corner in today's NFL, where teams will spread the feild and avoid him, is not a good way to build a defense. In est they money in a couple of disruptive defensive lineman and get more value for it your dollar.

I would have loved more picks, but lets face it, we had little leverage. We had a player rehabbing a knee injury from a play that involved little contact, who wanted a record breaking contract at a position losing value, that our owner did not want around. Getting the 2013 first involved helps the team long term.

Idzik obviously knows he has a long leash here. Now will see if Rex can keep a reloading team competitive.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

• Pay 16M/year for a CB
    • Watch Revis leave for nothing AND take a 9M cap hit for it (thanks to Tannenbaum's impressive contract-negotiation abilities)
    • Trade him for a 13th overall and a 3rd round next year
    Yeah, pretty much a no-brainer... I know what I'd go for.

People need to understand that our (by far) best player having been a CB, says more about the team than the player.

And all the comments about Revis being the best defensive player in the league and you don't trade the best player on the team is completely irrelevant.
    Because he is a CB.
    He's majestically good at playing CB, but he's still "just" a CB.
    His position doesn't warrant enough impact to be paid quality QB-dollars.

If the impact a certain position has didn't matter, and Revis being the best defensive player in the league, then I'd be delighted to have seen us trade Revis for eg. JJ Watt... something the Texans gladly would've done considering they get "a better player" for it.

He may be the best at what he does.
    But he's still a CB.
    Ie. a luxury on an otherwise crap team.

This was good.
    We would've gotten nothing next year, except for a 9M cap hit.
    I would've loved some higher picks, but it is what it is.

Keep steerin' that boat, Idzik.
    Keep steerin' that boat.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

A healthy Revis would have been crazy in draft value. Like you said, his injury really hurt us off the field as on the field.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

so I guess them not being able to throw to their #1 WO isn't a factor, OK

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm trying to find parallels to this trade and having some difficulty. The Vikings traded Randy Moss to the Raiders for the 7 and Napoleon Harris in 2005.

I'm not sure there have been any other trades of vets for higher draft picks than the 13. In 2009 the Patriots traded Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a 1st rounder in 2011 that turned out to be the 17.

Anybody else recall trades of 1st rounders for vets? In the two examples above the Raiders basically lost both times trading the pick for the star.

Ah, idiot me, Keyshawn brought the Jets the 14 and the 27 and we got either JAbe or Shaun Ellis out of that. Can't say the Bucs lost the trade though because they won a Super Bowl in 2002.

#2946 Br4d, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

How about this way of looking at it.

2013: Jets don't win the Super Bowl, Revis ditches the Jets after the season, Jets get a 3rd rounder in 2014.

OR

2013: Jets don't win the Super Bowl, Jets have an extra 1st round pick in the 2013 draft AND a 3rd rounder in 2014.

Option B is much better. We need to build for the future. Keeping Revis for one more year wouldn't have made a difference. That first rounder, plus all the cap space that we can use to build the team up, is much more valuable.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is what I'm excited about. If you don't hit a QB, rebuilding takes a while and Idzik is acting like he is going to here a while. A long term approach is much more comforting than a short term one

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

We traded our 1st in 2005 for Doug Jolley and another pick.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

A pass rusher has less effect on a game than a CB

Most good pass rushers get what 1 sack game maybe 2 or 3 pressures when every defensive snap Revis literally makes a tough for a Wide Receiver to even touch the ball

You guys are crazy

11. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

No I am not clueless. Bucs had all that cap space so yes they are going to give him a huge deal and revis agent is going to get it. Being in new York and taking 13 million a year is worth more then the deal he has now. The thing is we should have locked him up long term three years ago instead of giving him the "band aid" deal. We wouldn't have had to pay him 16 mil a year. He is the best corner and was the best defender till last year. You pay your top players you don't trade them. Flacco isn't worth 22 mil and no one is worth that much. But he's there qb and got paid. Yes qb and cb are totally different but revis is still the most talented jet to ever play. And for a first and third it's a bad deal. From here we need to trade down and pick up more picks.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

when so many teams are looking to ape the Patriots with lots of athletic TEs, slot receivers, multiple receiver packages etc - then it isn't a non-factor but it isn't the factor it was a few years ago.

to be clear I am not over the moon about the trade, but I am a lot happier than I would be we were sat here after the draft looking at Revis going for nothing at the end of the year.

#2952 JetsUK, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

And Sanchez, scott, Holmes, pace, and Harris deserved there deals right? Harris is getting $12 mil this season he is no where near worth that money. At least with revis you know he's the best so you pay a guy like that

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Should we just close this thread and re-open it in a few days? Why can't we have an initial opinion now, another on draft day and another years from now?

15. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Honestly, I feel bad for Rex, he had no say in this. He is being setup for failure.

16. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

You're half right.

All the talk about "just a CB", and a CB being irrelevant are people that just don't know all the aspects of the game.

However, a stud pass rusher does MUCH more than just getting 1 sack per game. A legitimate pass rushing threat makes offenses change their blocking schemes to compensate. Just like people say "coverage sack", a "pressure pick" also exists.

Watch games of LT, and you can see teams doing everything they could to get him out of the picture. With defensive backs, you don't need to do that. If the defense is playing man, you can neutralize a shut down corner in situations by taking him out of the play (without using extra bodies to do so). This isn't the case with a pass rusher.

Hence, an elite pass rusher is rated slightly higher than a CB.

17. AlToon

AlToon Member

Idzik did very well. The Jets were not giving Revis a big contract. The Jets options were a trade or keep him and allow him to walk at the end of the season. The Jets aren't a Super Bowl caliber team which you could justify keeping Revis and allow him to walk. Idzik got the #13 pick in the draft and a conditional pick 4th in 2014 which becomes a 3rd if Revis is on the TB roster on the third day of the league year next March. Revis will be on the roster. A #1 and a #3. TB was the only team willing to trade and give Revis his money. The Jets couldn't franchise him next March. Idzik did very well in this deal. Go Jets.

18. Mr. Green Pants

I'm guessing a great majority of GM's and coaches in the game would disagree with this. Success in football, on both sides of the ball, starts with controlling the line of scrimmage.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yeah because they are ready to contend, we're light years away from there.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

OLB and OL, by far. Very good safeties can be had at 3rd (Safety class is very deep, but there is no sure-fire 1st rounder in that group. Picking one up in 1st round is a disaster written all over it.)

1st round QB/WR is another way to spell disaster.