Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What the fuck does a year of his services matter when you're going to finish 4-12? That's a very dumb point. Then you let him walk for a pick that might as well be in the fourth round? This is just stupid logic.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

it's actually not as bad a deal as everyone on here says...

1. We are in cap hell thanks to Tanne and couldn't afford to give him 16M per

2. An ACL injury can be very hard to come back from at FULL speed! Not everyone is AP.

3. 13th overall + 3rd/4th will give us 1 great player and 1 solid player... They wont be Revis BUT they wont be demanding 16M with a ACL tear...

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Exactly. We weren't going to win the Super Bowl with him anyway so we might as well get rid of him for better value.

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

If you have NO OTHER options, how much better could the deal have been? Revis's shitty contract and injury killed ANY leverage the Jets might have had.

I guess we should have played with Revis in 2013. A season in which 3/4 of this forum thinks will be 4-12 or 6-10. THEN, we lose Revis next year when he's looking for 16mil and get back the last pick of round 3 in 2015. I suppose we put off the rebuild till 2015? Perhaps 2016?

Oh yeah on top of that...Revis's number counts against the cap while he isn't even on the team.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

HA HA , bravo :beer:

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The big point here is the money he wanted. 16 mill a year for a CB? Really!? We're lucky a team was willing to inves that much on him (partly because of all the cap space they had).
    Let's just put that pick to good use now (pass rusher or playmaker).

Also I don't understand the comparison with the Seahawks trade. #13 + 2014 3rd rounder > #25 + 3rd + 5th ! You can probably trade down from #13 to the late teens and get an extra 3rd rounder...

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Man I wish we could have at least gotten a 5th this year to trade for Ivory. That would have taken away the sting a little bit. Now the only thing we'll have to show for it in 2013 is whoever gets drafted at #13 if we don't trade down.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

A great QB, OLB, is more impactful on a team than an excellent corner. THat's the way the NFL is built currently.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Bad deal for Jets. Pretty upset we only got a 1st and conditional 4th. And no guaranteed money for Revis makes me more pissed. Couldn't we do a similar deal with him instead of giving him for cheap?

10. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

I don't hate the trade, I am split. Obviously I know we couldn't afford 16MM and am glad the GM recognizes that no matter how good a guy is you can't bend (if he even got a chance to talk contract with Revis--- maybe not) and compromise your salary cap and availability to build towards the ball.

I just know Revis is great and the Bucs value CB highly this offseason, otherwise they wouldn't be going after him. Idzik should capitalized on that and squeezed another pick out because we are so depleted. I guess he couldn't but I don't like the value we got back, especially considering the lack of depth in this draft. We'll see how he works teh draft and years from now will be the more appropriate time to evaluate the trade but I'm just saying, Revis is a potential GOAT...it's not out of the line to be disappointed with two picks.

#2930 Going4TheGreen, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  11. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

Bucs are the winners in this trade. only giving up a 1st and getting Revis with a non guarantee contact. smh

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If they do that or flat out cut him, we won the trade. If they don't make playoffs, we've definitely won the trade seeing how they'll have a high fourth that can potentially go into high third (which, at that point, might as well had been a second).

I'd say it's a 60/40 benefit for Jets.

13. vinbrando

vinbrando New Member

You're an idiot. We got a first round pick and we don't have to pay a CB QB money. The fact that Idzik was even able to get a first in 2013 was a miracle.

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Anyone saying Revis doesn't deserve 16M a year is crazy

Watch when Tampa Bay adds them a legit edge rusher on top of that with Barron and Goldson over the top that TB defense is gonna be crazy. Get them a Quarterback and now they're a contender

So you can build a team paying a Corner 16M, Tampa Bay just proved it

15. vinbrando

vinbrando New Member

They're paying 16M a year for a player who can be avoided for entire games.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am willing to wait until after the draft but my feeling rite now is we should have gotten another pick,,,,,,,,,,can anyone explain how this effects our CAP , I mean do we really still take a 12 mil hit and we are we cap wise rite now ?

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Your argument would have more credibility if he did not get hurt last year. The jets can get two players at the #9 & #13 pick that can help out immediately.

Idzik got the best he could for the circumstances, lets wait and see what he does on Thursday.

I hope he picks an OLB with the 9th and deandre Hopkins with the 13th.

18. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

No one, we trade with no one. A year with Revis + the chance of resigning him + a 3rd rounder if he walks > a 1st and 3rd next year.

19. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Yeah, going to be interesting as to where we go with that money. The list of FA isn't that enticing, but on the off chance the Falcons are dumb, Ryan could get to the market.

Exactly, the money was the biggest factor here. Which was why, I thought it was a strategic move by Tampa to let it out that they were willing to go 15 million for Revis, just incase Revis thought he might not get as much as he was hoping for.

It just sucks we couldn't get more for him. Almost like the team is cursed. The whole Manning going back to school screwing us for a decade. Revis getting hurt to hurt his value. The year we have to trade him is a weak draft. Like everything just conspires against this team.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes if you already have an established team and a QB on a rookie contract, you can do that. The cards have the play extremely right for it to happen. If Freeman busts, the Bucs are going to be in the same problem as us, except they are paying a corner 16 million while having no QB.

The Jets and Bucs are in different positions. We are clearly not in position to be portioning 16 million of our cap to a corner without a QB, RB, or OLB. The Bucs believe they are in position to do so because they think Revis will push them over the top.