Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If the Bucs make playoffs, they're not cutting him.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Percy Harvin is ALWAYS hurt. He's never started 16 games in this league, he's played in 16 just once, he's never had more than 53 recs or 6 TDs and he got more for Minny than we got for Revis.

revis allowed us to have a top D w/o a pass rush, we knew we didn't have to worry about Moss a few years ago, about Welker if he was matched up[ w/ him, about Calvin or Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace(who we now face 2 times a year) and whatever other top WRs there are. Cro is really good, he isn't half the player Revis is.

3. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

Thinking about this a little more, I suppose we can't really complain. Revis was in no way going to stay with us beyond the 2013 season. The fact that we were able to get a 1st/4th rounder, which will be with us for at least 3 years, for essentially a player we could have had for only 1 year isn't all that bad. I'm a little ticked that the cap hit of 12 million still applies to us.

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

lol says who? This trade has been going on for months. You don't know shit.

5. Windeos

Windeos Member

I thought it meant the 3rd day of 2014 season as in next summer, my bad

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If they cut him, anyone can make an offer on him. I bet the NFL has something in place to stop this

Revis is important, but there's only so much he can do with a OL that needs rebuilding, a misssing OLB and safety, and no RB or QB. He's amazing at what he does, unfortunately what he does impacts the game less than a QB, RB, DL, OLB, WR can. He can push a team over the top, but he's not single handedly carrying a team, his position doesn't allow it. We don't have the team where we can afford to throw him 16 million a year.

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

But whether the player we draft is as good as Revis, which is extremely unlikely,
    isn't the only consideration. We're trying to get younger, and fix our cap woes,
    which we couldn't do, if we kept Revis, and paid him what he was looking for.

8. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Wish we got a little more

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He was costing $9M before the trade so net of -$3M on the cap as a result of the trade.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And we save a ton of real money and 6 million of cap space as well.

11. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Not nothing, but the hate for Revis is absurd. I would not be shocked if Sanchez completes more passes to Revis than his own wr's in week 1.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So did anyone actually figure out what the trade actually is?

Is it the 1st and a 2014 4th that could become a 3rd? Or is it a 1st, a 2014 3rd, and a 2014 4th? Because the first isn't the best of deals, but the second is a pretty good deal for both teams.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If we let him walk, which we would have if he was demanding 16 million, we would have gotten the last pick in the 3rd round.

We traded him, meaning we got 1st out of this deal and most likely a mid 3rd rounder. This is rebuilding, we got the 13th pick this year. We have multiple holes. We have so many things we can do with that extra 1st too. I'm excited after taking a few minutes to think about this. Yeah I would have liked more from the trade, but I'm still happy for this.

14. nyjunc

so we take another cap hit to get rid of the best player in franchise history and get very little in return. Brilliant move. I understand we were getting rid of him no matter what but to lessen the blow we needed fair compensation in return, we clearly did not get that.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And that would have been 9 + 9 if we kept him..at this rate we will have 50 million in cap space next year.

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Not to mention Revis is 10x as good at his position a Harvin is at his. The difference between Revis and the second-best corner is bigger than the top and second-best guy at any position.

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Your evaluating it wrong if you don't include what he could get with the 13th pick in a trade down since we got that ammo from this deal.

18. nyjunc

yep, we got a 1st rd pick that may or may not turn into a quality NFL player and at best a 3rd next year for the best defensive player in the game.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

What if Revis' injury is recurrent and he's never the same player again? It's a gamble.
    Thing is Revis isn't going to win us a SB on his own and by the time the rest of the team is rebuilt, who knows he may be past it.
    Would have loved to see him stay a Jet, but am realistic to know that his value is going to help rebuild our team

20. milo

milo Well-Known Member

1st and 4th conditional. Just two picks. NFLN fucked it up when they reported it as 3.