Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Lets hope you are right!

2. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Please, let us be sending Sanchez along with him.

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Talis cant help but think looking at your avatar Revis is high, he is far, he is gone!:)

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would assume Sanchez would be going to Tampa to take a physical as well. I think this was a pipedream from the get go.

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

My prayer too, Dirty...LGR!

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well good thing I didn't buy that Revis jersey after all! Buying a Jets jersey is almost a waste nowadays

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here is my two cents on this. Trading Revis based on the overall condition of the team was by far the right thing to do. To your point, what we do with the cap space and draft picks remains to be seen.
    I have full confidence, however, that our new GM will make each $ and each pick count. We will not squander precious dollars or draft picks to get a guy that is half way through his career and sign him to a long term deal to the detriment of the team.

8. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Meh, ACL injuries aren't the concern they used to be. They have the space to give him a considerable front loaded deal. I'd be more upset as a Bucs fan if the team sat on over $30M in cap space.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Oh really?

10. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Just glad this is over , we get ammo to trade down and potentially get 4 picks in first 40 players...that fills me with hope that 2013 will be the start of something good. No more circus, no more picks squandered on a whim and build a core of young, quick players for the future.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Can't wait to see how the rest of the Bucs react to the team giving Revis a guaranteed 50 million if that is what it is..they may be 30 million under now but see where they are a year from now..besides they now have the best in NFL history to teach them the nuances of the hold out.

12. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

You have every right to feel that way, and as a Jets fan I hope you're right....but personally, I'd rather keep the bird in the hand, Revis is a known commodity (albeit coming of injury), than hope to fill the void with other unknowns.

Yes I am a huge fan of his and clearly I'm not hiding it, maybe this shades my view, but I don't think I am completely illogical.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is probably his last big deal. He's made his money. I would expect him to settle down and begin enjoying playing football for a living for the few years left to him to do that.

You can't be a mercenary your entire life without coming out of it old and jaded at the back end. The Jets had the misfortune of being the guys trying to hold onto him before he'd made his score. The Bucs may get the better part of the bargain as Revis ages and mellows some.

14. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

I think players should always be happy when someone signs a big deal.

They've positioned themselves pretty well with the cap. They have less than $100 million committed to next season (albeit without a QB). They've added their vets the last couple of years and figure to return to building mainly through the draft. I don't see this being a cap killer for them. An eventual holdout is a legit concern, though.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Well now you're talking a lot more rational and a lot less like a 14 year d aren't ya? I'm the biggest dark wider there is but we had ZERO option other than trade Revis. Unless u wanted him on the team next year so u can wear your jersey and cheer him on as we go 7-9 and then he leaves for zero compensation

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every CB in the NFL is going to breathe a sigh of relief if Revis signs a long-term contract with the Buc at $12M+ a season. First of all, he won't be on the market competing with them next year, secondly the franchise tag for CB will receive a needed boost after the cap cuts this year, and lastly a deal like that would re-establish the top end of the CB market which at the moment is very soft after a weak showing by FA CB's in 2013.

17. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

I'm done responding to you and your condescending language...why you see the need to act the way you do I don't know

#2577 AlmightyRevis, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  18. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Needed for the cornerbacks I guess. I like the way the CB market was heading this offseason. A precise pass from the best in the game equals a completion.

It's the Jets luck to get a top player of all time at a position that is currently at the weakest value it's been since before the forward pass, in the salary cap era.

This is the right move and the Jets can't allocate that much money to eliminate one out of three, four or five options on any given play.

#2578 Going4TheGreen, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  19. Don

Less than 100 million with or without Revis? My point was that sure the other players will be happy and now they will want theirs too.

20. Don