Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

We did just fine without Revis. If we were to sign Revis, it would have only hurt us as a team even further. This move had to happen, our secondary will still be good next season. Pending the Safety play..

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Anyone else a little down after that Coz tweet that we will only get the 13th this year and all the other picks are 2014? I mean it is Coz and it is the NY Post and he does suck, but suppose its true.

3. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Or we could have paid him what he deserves. I know that's foreign to us Jets fans considering we only seem to shell out big bucks to overrated players.

4. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

This is what's most frustrating.

Revis isn't worth 15M. That being said, I'd much rather pay Revis, a homegrown talent who is arguably the best Jet to ever put on the uniform, 15M than pay Santonio Holmes 10M. Or Bart Scott 8M.etc.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think this is an argument at all, Curtis Martin meant much more to the Jets than Revis, and Revis is a great player. Class act, leadership, his productivity over a period of time.

Man getting that 13th pick can do wonders for us, I hope we trade that pick down for more picks

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I guess we'll find out in a few hours. I think the way the two organizations handled the entire deal put more pressure on the Bucs than on the Jets despite some attempts to change that dynamic.

For more than a month we heard how the Jets had low leverage and had to deal Revis and only one bidder was out there, etc. Then in the last few weeks the media perspective began to shift as the Jets steadfastly held to their low profile. By last week a fair number of people had shifted to arguing that the Bucs had to go get Revis. The overall pressure points on the deal had shifted alongside that.

Suddenly nobody was thinking a 1st, 3rd and 5th was out of bounds if the trade went through. You won't find anybody who believes the best the Jets can do for Revis is a couple of 2nds. That was a common perception when the rumors started in late January and early February. You won't find anybody who believes the Jets will have to settle for a 1st round pick in '14 to get the deal done, another common perception of a couple of months ago.

The Jets handled this process about as gracefully as you can, with the only bump in the road being the tussling over their requirement that Revis come in on April 15th to fulfill his bonus requirement. Even then we don't know that the Jets forced him to do this. His contract would have allowed him to miss every day between April 15th and the draft and still get the bonus.

What I believe is that it was important to have Revis in-house in the week leading up to finalizing a trade. Having him in Arizona would have fostered the perception that the Jets didn't really have control of the situation. It was a smart move to ask him to come in, using the contract as leverage. it was a smart move on his part to come in, even if he used the request like a bludgeon against the Jets, who like everything else in this situation just sat back and deflected the conflict.

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I wish Revis was a Jet for life to but the holdouts and the salary cap have ended his reign short

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Chance Warmack at 13 please.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Amazing to me how many people are excited about this, and applauding Idzik on a great move, when we don't know what the trade comp or new salary looks like.

10. BroadwayAaron

Yea lets drop a shit ton of money on a guy that will be on the downside of his prime when we are just about ready to start competing, just so he can hold us hostage again when we either need him on the field or need the money he's tying up.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We will have to take Chance at the 9 spot, no way does he make it past Tennessee @ 10. Take Chance at 9, trade the 13th for that late 1st rounder and 2nd rounder. From there I would pick up Justin Hunter (WR) from TN. Jamie Collins (OLB) could be available in the 2nd round also. Atlanta Falcons could an intriguing trade partner.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm not excited until I know what the terms are but word is their 1st this year and then picks next year. Picks are picks but this is such a deep draft you'd want the picks this year unless of course next years pick is a 2nd or something like that.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yep initially. But with this years draft I'm not that bothered, but we should be able to pick up some decent players we need and then have time to regroup and see what we need in 2014

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is no way that the picks next year do not include a 1st or 2nd rounder (compensatory if he reaches All-Pro or whatever kind of incentive they come up with) + whatever 3rd or 5th they wanted to throw in.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

K coo :beer:

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

My son just got a text saying the Jets agree to the deal

17. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Competing with who? :rofl2: The practice squad? We have huge question marks at every major position damn near and I'm supposed to be excited we traded our best player and created yet another one? FOH

18. BroadwayAaron

You know that you need cap space and draft picks to fill out those holes correct? I don't get this ass backwards thinking that some of you have here.

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Damn. this really sucks. it stings knowing the last time we saw Revis in a Jets jersey was down in pain at Sunlife.

20. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

We've had cap space and draft picks many times...but the ones we get from trading Revis will magically bring us a complete roster and a championship, don't you all see that?