Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

From Rotoworld per Manish:

The New York Daily News confirms the "framework" of a trade sending Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay is indeed in place.

Completion is expected late Sunday or early Monday, pending results of Revis' physical at Bucs headquarters. The physical is taking place today. ESPN New York reports the sides have "agreed to trade compensation," while the NY Daily News' Manish Mehta confirms "general parameters" of a Bucs-Revis contract are "also done." Coupled with Dashon Goldson, the acquisition of Revis will give Bucs defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan an ability to dial up heavy blitzes without fear of opposing wideouts running free in Tampa's backend. Also capable of matching up with Julio Jones, Steve Smith, and Marques Colston or Jimmy Graham, the Revis deal has major implications throughout the NFC South.

Original source : Manish

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/326009444532113411

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

2. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Why do you think it was the Bucs that moved their compensation, instead of the Jets? Is there anything out there that even hints that the Bucs blinked? Or is this just your speculation based on you being a Jets fan?

3. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

I understand your point as a whole, I just don't think that you can say trading Revis gets us any closer to that point. We were pretty damn close with Revis (closer than the Knicks will get this year I assure you), and a Shonn Greene injury, a Drew Coleman mis-timed jump, a sleep walked first half in Pittsburgh were the reasons we came up short....the point being, in a single elimination format it's based very much on luck as much as anything.

Now granted you must put yourself in that position, but this notion that trading Revis puts us in such a better position to do so, and will ultimately bring us championship glory, is farfetched to me...I have no reason to believe this move helps us in that regard, so I simply see it as the player I love watching the most in sports departing from my favorite team to the wasteland that is Tampa Bay. In my logical opinion, this could have been handled better and because of that, and the result, I am extremely bitter and disappointed.

4. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I've been a NY Jets fan my entire life and I'm not going to pull for another team but seriously.... FUCK the NY Jets. I'm not going to be a turncoat and they'll still be "my team" but seriously...this organization ain't shit. You all can believe that "business decision" shit if you want. Bottom line is, when you have a guy who's the best at his position, your GM shouldn't be making his departure priority #1. From the moment the season ended, we've been trying to get rid of this guy. Yet it took us forever and a day to realize Eric Smith sucked. It took us forever and a day to realize Schotty was an idiot. It took us forever to realize Drew Coleman sucks. We make dumb decision after dumb decision and I'm sick of it. If this rant brings on an onslaught of "you'r an idiot" comments or "you'r trolling" comments or even a ban...so be it. I just have no confidence in our team. I have very little confidence that our draft pick will amount to half the player Revis was. And I KNOW we're going to suck next year and probably for the next few years. We don't make moves to win. We make moves to sell tickets. The fact that Tim Tebow is still a Jet and Revis won't be absolutely disgusts me. I'm a Jets fan and I may be overreacting but seriously....fuck this organization right now.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This sucks but realistically it was a long time in the making. Our new gm is making the best of a bad situation. Let's just hope that the draft picks we acquire help the team move forward in the post Revis era.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

You're overreacting. People get traded all the time.

7. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Bullshit! We all know there is no news coming out of the Jets FO so this is all speculation and guess. Unless Manish has moved to TB and is getting his information from the Bucs, we can assume that this is completely false.

8. Clovis

Clovis New Member

^^^ This

Take those 2 first round picks, turn them into multiple 2nd-4th round picks, better value for this years draft. Way too many questions at the top of the draft for the money that has to be spent on early 1st round picks.

9. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

It's pretty much on every sports news outlet

10. L3JET

L3JET Active Member

With all due respect, you seem to have forgotten Curtis Martin. You know, the Hall of Famer. I truly believe he was greatest Jets since Joe Namath! Anyways, the fact of the matter is that Darrelle Revis was always holding out. The Jets cannot use a franchise tag on him for the 2014 season. Blam Mr. Mike T. for giving him a no franchise clause contract! The Jets cannot take the chance of letting him walk without receiving any compensation. Why would he negotiate a new contact with the Jets this year, when he knows he could go to the highest bidder next year?

Peace out.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is just a guess but if the Bucs didn't move towards the Jets significantly in the last weeks and particularly this week I think we're still going on the trade front.

The only reason this deal had to get done this week as opposed to in May, June or July, is that the pick(s) coming back were this year. If the Jets weren't satisfied enough with the compensation to make this deal a few weeks ago they likely wouldn't have been satisfied enough to do it today.

The indications that I see are that the Jets had a position they wouldn't move off of, which was reasonable enough that the Bucs ultimately couldn't say no. That's likely what we're getting here.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yeah I understand what you're saying, I was only referring to Cro completely filling Revis' shoes as there's always going to be a gap between "league best" and others however small you judge that gap to to be. Does Cro fill Revis' shoes 90%?.. 95%?....or "completely" as in 100%? But the gist of my point was really about how much of a liability will Kyle Wilson be trying to fill Cro's shoes.

Again, no knock on Cro, but for example, Revis doesn't get 'lost' on the ball and field awareness in the week 2 Rothlisberger-to-Wallace TD that turned out to be the ball game (assist to David Harris taking a bad angle with Rothlisberger dead in his blitzing sights).

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Espn is reporting the deal is done pending physical.

14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

naw i didn't forget about curtis martin. i know he was absolutely awesome and a hall of famer and i didn't mean any disrespect.

but since 2009 (atleast i think 2009) darrelle revis has been the undisputed best CB in football. He was ranked the 6th best player in the NFL by the players. curtis was great and awesome, but i think revis was better at his respected position

not trying to get into an argument, just stating opinion

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We weren't going to win anything with Revis this year so what's the big deal? Besides, we don't even know if he will ever be the same that he was. These idiots would squaking now would disappear as soon as he walked away at the end of the year or worse they would want the Jets to pay a CB entering his 8th year 15 million a year. Good riddance, we just avoided another holdout or three.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And this is where the discussion should end on whether or not this was a good move. This summed it all up real nicely. It's such a no brainer.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Deal done?

#2477 macbk, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Pending physical.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

19. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Again, why is it that the Bucs moved from their position? Isn't is just as likely that the Jets lowered their demands? Isn't is just a likely that the Bucs had compensation in mind last week and if the Jets offer didn't satisfy them last week, it wasn't going to satisfy them this week? I just don't see anything out there that says it was the Bucs that upped their offer as opposed to the Jets that lowered their offer. Several people have indicated that Idzik did a great job os holding his ground and staring down the Bucs and getting them to fold. We don't know that and we don't know the compensation. All we really know (based of the media's informed comments) is that they have agreed to compensation. Anything other than that is pure speculation and we constantly rip the media for doing it.

20. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Also Curtis arguably had 2 of his 4 best seasons with New England,