Predict Jets 2013 #1 draft choice

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Al Dorow, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Gotta love logic...The most productive college defensive player the last two years in a row has 'bust written all over him' and this years Vernon Gholston 'is a beast'. I'll pass on that Kool Aid...No Thanks!!! I'll take Jones' production over Mingo's disappearing act seven days to Sunday.

2. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I agree with the BPA posters. Defense definitely needs help, but I think Warmack will be the pick. I know it's debatable, but he could honestly be the best at playing his position of any potential draftee this year. Low, low bust potential :)

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Star is overrated. I watch him play and he reminds me of dewayne Robertson.

Geno. Lol

Mingo- I don't understand how this guy is possibly in the "experts" top ten picks. I think he is going to be one of the guys that falls very far. Happens every year.

I honestly think we try to trade back and grab a playmaker for the offense. Anything can happen though, I'm so excited to see Idzik work. We are close to seeing how our new GM works.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm all for a trade down but we may not need to if we trade Revis. The big caveat here is Austin's stock is rising and some are projecting him as a potential top 10 pick. So getting him at 9 may not be as much of a reach as some are making it out to be. The Bills are reportedly high on Austin at 8 but could be a smoke screen IMO as they have CJ Spiller whose dynamic...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ustin-gains-steam-high-on-buffalo-bills-radar

5. Right now Austin's stock is right around pick 9..so the value is there. Bottom line is the knock on him is his size. If he's 2 inches taller he's likely a top 5 pick.

Jets can't afford to pass on this type of dynamic difference maker. He's a guy you can move all over the place & creates plays on his own. Something the Jets haven't had in a VERY long time.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm getting to the point where I would be pissed if we passed on Austin. This kid is electric, I can't even remember the last time the Jets had a playmaker like Austin could potentially become.

Good possibility he is BPA and would fill a dire need. Chance he doesn't even make it to 9, wouldn't surprise me at all if Bills grab him.

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I don't really see the Bills drafting him, but I can see the dolphins getting him. I don't necessarily want Austin (depending on whoever else is available) but I definitely would be happy with him on the Jets or hopefully outside the AFCE.

8. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Milliner, Jordan, Star, the tackles, and Geno are gone.

Who do you think they take?

It looks like none of Ansah, Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Warmack or Cooper are a part of the Jets official visits (source) at least yet.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

My prediction: Star L is the pick

I like Jordan and Milliner as well, but think they will be gone, and Star ends up BPA when we pick.

If we have the pick 13, i'm looking for Jarvis Jones, Austin, Warmack or Cooper.
    Cleve, to answer your question above, i double down on these prospects if above guys are gone at 9. Jarvis Jones and Austin would be a nice combo of picks to really amp up our speed.

10. Jonky

Jonky Banned

If he was two inches taller, he'd still be a smurf and would have a ton of questions about his size. Do you really want a WR that Sanchez has to throw perfect passes to because CB's are draped all over him? If we had Manning, I might (not definately) consider Austin. Without playing 'what if' he would get creamed as a Jet and another wasted first rounder.

11. JetsNation06

Wes Welker? A half inch taller and a few lbs heavier than Austin so comparable size. Plus Austin can easily get up to 180 on an NFL weight program. Add to that, Austin has more speed and quickness than Welker. Size is a non-issue if you can make people miss.

12. Ok fine. Have it your way. We'll pass on yet another offensive play maker b/c he isn't the perfect prospect. One day this magical perfect skill player will fall from the sky into the Jets laps & the team will finally have a player that strikes fear into the opposition & can make a great equalizing play in the clutch.

We'll just take a safe low bust rate player like a guard that Jet fans will be calling a bust come training camp regardless.

13. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Listed college heights and weights are rarely accurate. Plus Welker plays the slot, not on the outside.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He's 5'8" - 174 pounds.

Here's the thing: Austin isn't just a receiver. You sprinkle him in on reverses. You use him in the slot. You use him out wide on occasion. You let him go in the backfield on some plays.

If you plan on using Austin solely as a receiver, you're completely missing the point what he can do. The question is can he stay healthy doing it? As long as he's healthy, he's a dynamic, dynamic playmaker, one of the best this draft has had to offer this decade.

15. JetsNation06

I was just responding and saw this. Couldn't have said it better myself. He's a weapon in so many different areas including ST's.

16. Jonky

Jonky Banned

When you cherry pick my comments, you miss the point. I don't care what he is officially listed at, Austin is no taller than 5'6". He can put on weight and he will lose his speed. With the right QB, Austin is a definite threat. The Jets don't have a Brady Ora Manning or a Rodgers. Do you really believe Sanchez can throw pinpoint passes to hit Austin in stride?. I don't. If he doesn't, Austin is a cripple waiting to happen. I hear the Welker comparisons, but Welker had Brady. If we draft a WR early, he needs size to take the hits when he is exposed on inaccurate passes. no thanks to Austin or anyone like him until we have a real passer.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

They officially size people at the combine. Unless you think he's wearing high heels to the combine, his playing size is not 5'6".

Austin has elite separation and elusiveness. Obviously, you worry about injuries with a guy like that, but he didn't lose 2 inches from the combine.

The size difference for Patterson may make a difference. I don't love his ability to catch the ball, and he's dumb as a rock, but his explosion with the ball is elite, and he's got a ton of upside at that size. His coaches loved him.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Assume Revis will be traded for the 13th overall pick +

This is what i would LOVE the Jets to do

Trade 9th overall + our 3rd for 5th overall

DRAFT: Dee Milliner CB

13th overall

Draft - Barkevious Mingo OLB

39th overall

DRAFT: Margus Hunt DT

19. snipes824

snipes824 Member

Tavon Austin because you just don't pass on Percy Harvin clones when your team has no offensive playmakers.

20. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

The more I think about it the more I think we go Warmack or Cooper with our first, likely on a trade down unless the Revis trade happens. If so Warmack or Cooper at 13 and a OLB or DE at 9. Jordan is gone so Jones, Ansah or Mingo.

Immediate starters that can have an impact IMO.