NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Maybe if we had a great running game last year, Sanchez wouldnt have been so god awful? Maybe he isnt asked to do so much and he doesnt regress? He's still probably not a franchise QB at that point, but it might be more manageable.

With a rebuilding team looking to find the new long-term solution at the QB spot, who's running the ball could be extremely crucial. Do you think the Falcons regret having Michael Turner on their team? No, because he helped take a lot of the pressure off of Matt Ryan at first. If Ivory can come in here and be a massive upgrade over what we have, and can take pressure off of a rookie QB, its more than worth it.

We are sitting here arguing over a 4th round draft pick. What did we do with out last 3 4th round draft picks? McKnight, Powell and Tim Tebow. Draft picks are valuable, but only if they are used correctly, which is a lot harder said than done.

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about Ivory.

It would an emphatic NO if I trusted the scouting department to recognize late round RB talent.

Lamar Miller
    Robert Turbin
    Alfred Morris
    Bryce Brown
    Daryl Richardson

All guys that were drafted 4th round or later last year.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It would be a waste of a resource to give up a 4th round pick for a RB. Greene still rushed for over 1k two years in a row. We can plug anyone in there and get production. RB is not a high priority right now.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We are not looking to replace the QB. Its almost comical...this morning on NFL net, whoever the player was that was guesting, pointed out...Sanchez, was the most talented offensive player on the team, echoing what Kurt sad the other day. Thats not my opinion, thats a guy in the game...

Dont confuse, coaching and or injury....

Sanchez is going to remain here for several more years, barring injury.

Garrard, will replace McElroy, and Tebow...my guess would be Simms stays.

Heres whats going to happen, the Jets will return a healthy offensive cast, win more than 9 games, (like the year Mangini came in and got a healthy Pennington) and Rex, and Sanchez will be cemented long term.

As a fan your best bet is to hope, that the staff can realize the potential of the player, rather than rooting for him to fail.

And....

Geno Smith will not be a better player.

5. Hobbes3259

Did I miss something...isnt Ivory a second round pick?

You could get Barnard in the Second, and Gilleslee in the fourth...

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He will be 28 by the time this offense gets fixed.

The Seahawks brought Marshawn Lynch when they still had Hasselbeck. And Russell Wilson's don't come around very often. It's a bad comparison.

7. Hobbes3259

This offense is fixed, now.

They were 2 plays from 8-8 with no OC, and a slew of injuries.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

I guess our difference is, is that I would rather have someone in the backfield that scares the opposing defense and cause them to stack the box; someone that can take over a game and can truly help a young QB, rather than just a placeholder.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ivory would be a nice signing if they can get him on the cheap. He's a saavy vet who could get the tough yardage.

I would wait until after the draft though at this point. See who's available in the draft before settling on a guy like Ivory.. no need to rush anyway with him, it's not like people are blowing their doors down trying to sign him.

Edit- nevermind, I didn't realize he was a RFA. I wouldn't go after him then.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why must you make everything a Sanchez argument? Holy shit.

You are honestly long past the point of being delusional. The fact that the team is bring in highly ranked QBs in this class doesnt speak to what they think of Sanchez? Or the fact that the organization will no longer back Sanchez as the starter (which is the right thing because he doent deserve it). Or how about the rumors flying around that Sanchez could be part of the trade to Tampa? The sentiment around the league and everywhere (except for your brain) is that Sanchez is NOT the future here.

Just because he may have been the most talented player on offense last year, doesnt mean its saying much. We had one of the least talented rosters, and we still do. Unless a QB is talented with his legs (RG3, Newton, Kaepernick), talent to me isnt nearly as important as what lies between the ears. I seriously question what lies between Sanchez's ears at this point.

He's as good as gone. You're making yourself look like a fool.

11. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I think you're looking at the 2nd round tender. If Jets want to acquire Ivory with an offer sheet (that Saints won't match) then it'll cost them a 2nd round pick.

According to most articles, Idzik has called the Saints and expressed interest in trading a late pick for Ivory. No offer sheets. Jets 2nd rounder stays with us no matter what.

12. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Ivory for a 4th round pick is about right. For a 5th round pick like Peter King says in his column is a no-brainer.

13. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

What about Mike James from Miami? 5'11 222lbs 4.5 40 time. He is comparible to Ivory and he is getting a 4th-7th round grade. Looked at his film and he catches well out the back field and does special teams as well.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Assuming James does not have a real injury history he'd be a much better bet than Ivory.

Most of the time a player who has had trouble staying on the field due to injuries will continue that progression until retirement which is usually early.

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I agree. Wouldn't hate Mike James depending on what they were looking for. IIRC, James was a smart, do-it-all kind of runner, which may be what the FO wants. However, if they're looking for a later round North-South bruiser, Spencer Ware should be there in the same rounds. Six, half-dozen to me :) Your point is well-received: there's tons of options out there!

16. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I seen another guy named Latavius Murray from UCF 6'2"/6'3"(depending on which site you check) 225ish runs a 4.3 40 time .... He could be that work horse back we are looking for and he will be a change of pace back and a bruiser as well. I think of a Eddie George or Eric Dickerson with his height. He probably will go in the 6th, 7th, or UDFA being at he had a ACL injury.. I'm gonna look at that guy Spencer Ware you mentioned.

#156 tanknyc, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  17. This is a play maker's league. You've gotta have that one guy who not only strikes fear into the opponent but also produces that 1 or 2 mega plays that win you a whole lotta games.

Alot of Jet fans need to get past this "build the lines/fill holes until you have a complete roster" way of thinking. While something to strive for it is extremely unrealistic in a pass happy modern salary cap era. Dependable depth & reliable play making is what wins in the NFL.

That's not to say I think Ivory is that guy. More likely given all the needs the Jets have combined w/ the way the board is looking...RB may not be something the team is gonna be able to address. Ivory is a good young player..injury prone yes..but so are most RBs nowadays.

#157 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Kurt, How have we run the ball with finess guys on the left side the past two years? Dont get me wrong, Shonn Greene wasnt a "play-maker" but look at his first 2 years in Green and WHite. The line has regressed since we had Woody and Allan F.

We should be drafting Warmack or Cooper (only if Chance is gone) with 9 this year. With that said, we need all of our other picks to help get a few guys that strike fear into the Defense. It really dosent matter however if we dont fix our issues up-front IMO.

19. DBWarren23

DBWarren23 Active Member

Why isn't Montee Ball getting any hype? Obviously his durability issues fall him out of the top rounds, but his production was fantastic. I think whoever ends up with him will get a steal.

20. That line w/ Faneca & Woody was arguably the best offensive line assembled in the last 10 years. Offensively it was this team's backbone. Then again..what happened on the road late in the playoffs to the Jets? They again lacked play makers.

Yes, the line regressed over the last 2 years..but lets keep things in perspective. This has been an above average unit for the last several years. One you can win alot of games with.

If building an elite Oline again is the goal..so be it.Some things have changed since 2009. To me, Oline doesn't matter quite as much due to the emergence down field passing attack. That said it has worked for the Jets in the past & is a good place to start.

But when is this team finally gonna draft a game changer? That has been the missing ingredient for a very long time. I remember having this exact same conversation over the year's w/ people favoring us passing on play makers like Darren Mcfadden, Pearcy Harvin among others. How much different would this offense/team look now if we had just one of those guys? More importantly why are so many Jet fans opposed to addressing this long time need?