Multiple Explosions at Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by devilonthetownhallroof, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

An 8 year old is one of the dead...

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Cowardly. This act is nothing but cowardly. An eight year old who had no chance to defend himself. Very sad.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Sadly these scumbags have no balls, anybody who kills civilians like this is a coward. Hearing and seeing the reports it seems we are very lucky that hundreds of people haven't been killed. My guess is the death toll goes up but considering they've found unexploded devices, they waited until 17K racers had already crossed the line it could have been much much worse.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just saw all of my college buddies this weekend. Most of them live in Boston now. They are all ok.

This is enraging. I don't understand why the world is like this.

6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Makes me sick.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

So a person who appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent was scared by an explosion. Xenophobia at it's finest.

8. VanderbiltJets

Assuming you're being at least a third serious here, North Korea doesn't have ties to terrorist organizations in the same manner that Middle Eastern countries do for cultural and practical reasons.

Assuming it was somehow North Korea providing material support to this incident, it would be revealed public ASAP as a (true/false) flag excuse to take a hard-lined stance. Plus, it would rally support within the int'l community and empower the U.S. on the UN Sec council.

Assuming politics are trumping the truth, then it's Iraq all over again.

I'm confused as to why anyone would think al-Qaeda wouldn't be able to "pull this off" unless you're citing their weakness/de-centralization. However, by the magnitude of this operation, it's more realistic that al-Qaeda's behind it. al-Qaeda is less equipped to conduct organized terrorist attacks within the U.S. a la 9/11 but one individual funded by al-Qaeda is a possibility.

#108 VanderbiltJets, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. VanderbiltJets

This is pure speculation, but the person of interest on a student visa could be attending BU (based on reports that a BU student was injured)

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As if NoKor needs a reason to pull something of this magnitude. If it was truly AL Qaeda, do you really think the body count would be this low? This was a message more than anything. If the end game was to have a high body count, then those bombs go off during rush hour on subways. Those bombs would have been packed with nails making homemade Claymores which would have resulted in many many more casualties.

This was a message sent to us from whomever "they" are. The coordination rules out amatures. This was a professional attack and the short list includes not only the usual suspects, but our newest enemy as well.

Now, if it was some offshoot of AL Qaeda, then they spent a lot of time and resources pulling this off and have suddenly become a major player. Normally, rejoicing could be seen all over the Arab world when something like this happens but so far? Nary a peep.

The IED's used were not comprised of C4? Makes them harder to track. The upside is that they all didn't go off and that means, analysis can be done on the bombs that didn't. Chances are pretty good that the same hand built all the bombs. At the very least, it gives us a place to start looking.

If NoKor has publically stated that they will give no warning to SoKor before an attack, what makes you think they're not capable of doing the same to us?

Like I said, I hope NoKor was behind this. Why? Because I'm sick an f'n tired of everyday hearing about Little FatAss and his threats. Before you go there, I was stationed in SoKor in the early 90's. I was stationed there during Tianmenen Square and those were nerve racking times indeed.

I'm no War Monger, but at some point, the FatKid needs a hard lesson to be taught. If NoKor is indeed behind this, then retailation will happen. If you listened closely to the Pres, you might have noticed that he didn't say those responsible would be "BROUGHT" to justice, but that they would "FEEL" the justice. Sounds like a personalized bullet with a name waiting to be written on it.

11. Barry the Baptist

CNN just reported that officials are seeking out a black or dark skinned male with a black backback and black sweatshirt who attempted to gain access to a rescricted area and apparently turned around, threw his hood over his head and walked away. They say he had a foriegn accent.

12. Cman68

Somali perhaps? Nigerian? The surveillance videos will tell the tale in the end.

13. Barry the Baptist

The underwear bomber was Nigerian, CNN is also saying that the person of interest is a Saudi National and suffered a leg injury but they are stressing he is a person of interest.

14. Cman68

I would imagine there's a bit of a delay in all outbound international flights out of Logan tonite. Perhaps any Airport within several hours driving distance from Boston. Providence, Manchester?

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me at all if DHS has all outbound international flights on a temp hold until all passenger manifests have been triple checked.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

The truth will come out of course but this seems more domestic to me. Terrorists obviously go for a body count but also symbolic attacks (I.e. WTC for economics, Whitehouse for admin, pentagon for intelligence, London tube station, etc.). What's the symbolism of global importance connected to the Boston Marathon? It's a big marathon, sure, but so what? They could have killed ten times more people in a busy mall or subway station, etc.

It has far more significance locally. Plus I heard someone talking about the symbolism of this being the day for federal taxes being due. I wouldn't dismiss the overseas terrorist organisation connect ions but I also don't think it's a slam dunk case of al Qaeda or something similar.

Edit: isn't it also Patriot Day or something

#115 deerow84, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'm with you..its fucking stupid to think a person looking middle eastern is automatically considered as a suspect. I'm with the guy here who thinks this is a domestic case of terrorism.

Just a hunch...look at all the psychos and their gun shootings recently. Would not surprise me here too..and if its North Korea then let's commence a war, that's what would happen

17. VanderbiltJets

If it were NK then it's not about reason, but instead means. They don't have the means (a terrorist organization) to directly be behind the attack and it's not really possible they established anything similar. al-Qaeda was formed over 12 years before 9/11 and that's no coincidence (terrorist attacks take a lot of planning, infrastructure, and resources).

If this was al-Qaeda with only one suspect then this attack was of great magnitude. I think that statement assumes that there weren't unsuccessful bombing attempts (same question in the context of 9/11: what if all but a few hijackers didn't successfully board their planes).

Yes. Patriot's Day/important sporting event/"relatively" new method of attack in the U.S.

This is a great point. Pertinent graphic: [​IMG]

Assuming this wasn't one person like the Oregon Christmas Tree lighting bombing attempt suspect or OKC bombing.

Not necessarily two homemade portable backpack bombs with timers would've done the trick. Plus no one would really think of anything in that crowd if someone, for example, casually puts down their bag and walks away (like if they put the backpack up against the trash can).

The Algerian Gas Plant hostage crisis was an offshoot of al-Qaeda so this wouldn't really be a turning point.

Normally? Are you misremembering 9/11? Not really worth discussing but the first link I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_the_September_11_attacks#Islamic_world shows that the majority of the Arab World doesn't celebrate violence in the manner you just described. Also http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=44b_1359356589&comments=1

That just makes no sense. Just because they said they wouldn't warn SK doesn't mean they will attack the U.S. without warning within a proximate time of said warning and that also doesn't mean that NK would be responsible for an attack they're incapable of carrying out. Harsh rhetoric wouldn't magically transform NK's capabilities nor does it indicate a shift towards terrorist activities/support.

#117 VanderbiltJets, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  18. VanderbiltJets

I just get peeved whenever someone acting naturally and normally is called-out for being suspicious just because of their skin color. Everyone knows that person, if they're innocent, wasn't acting suspicious and that the person(s) who chased the "suspect" down just concluded he was acting suspicious because he happened to be within the vicinity of a bombing.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i had the same thought

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

To your first point, it is an international event. Many countries send runners to the Boston Marathon. I don't know how globally popular the event is though, but lots of countries were represented in the running EDIT: To word it better, many of the runners come from different countries, not that countries send them to participate

Yeah it's Patriots Day. The Red Sox played an early 11:05 AM EST time game so it lets out right around when the bulk of marathon runners finish. Schools are closed and many people take off to run the marathon from work. The final mile goes down Boylston street, a street filled with bars and hotels and right past the Prudential Center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.