NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Didn't know that was possible. Sucks for Ivory because I don't see him pulling down a 2nd round pick in trade. At the same time, Saints got too many RB there for him to get a lot of carries this season also.

Undrafted player works his way onto an NFL team & having a tough break when trying to finally leave to get playing time (and money).

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm pretty sure they can still trade him for whatever they feel like trading him for.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Ivory received 2nd round tender. That tender determines his salary this season from Saints. It also forces any team that tries to acquire Ivory via offer sheet to surrender a 2nd round pick to Saints.

So if the Jets offer Ivory, a 2-year $4.5 Million dollar deal (and Ivory signs the offer sheet), Saints can:
    • Match the offer & keep Ivory
    • or, Let him leave & take the 2nd round pick compensation.

====================
    What if the Jets don't want to obtain Ivory through an offer sheet? He's still on their roster. Just like any other player on the Saints roster, you can talk to their GM about a possible trade.

Jets would be telling the Saints:
    • We want Ivory.
    • No way we give you a 2nd rounder though.
    Now it's up to the Saints to Take It or Leave It.

=================

Here's a total hypothetical scenario.

Howard was given a 2nd round tender by the Jets. Rams can call up Idzik & offer to trade Howard for 3rd rounder. If Idzik agrees, then Howard is exchanged for Rams 3rd rounder only. No 2nd round pick exchanged between Rams & Jets.

Of course Idzik will ask for the 2nd round instead but Rams can simply tell him it's 3rd rounder or no deal.

#63 ajax, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Another question I have: Would making Ivory an offer - and then paying compensation to the Saints with a Draft pick - be considered a trade?

I ask because I'm wondering if the Jets offer something like a 3rd Rpund pick for Ivory, but also demand like a 5th Round pick from the Saints, along with Ivory.

*edit* Wups, I posted this question as you typed your response to my original question. Thanks for the breakdown.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Why give up anything for him? I like Ivory, but RB's are a dime a dozen, and are the final piece of an offense. You don't waste a pick bringing one in when the offense is in flux.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There was a rumor last week that the Jets and the Saints were discussing swapping the 9 and the 15. I wonder if this may tie in with the possible trade of Ivory. Or maybe the rumors last week were mistaken about what was being discussed.

The draft is so deep between rounds 2 and 4 I am not a big fan of trading a 4th. Picks 6 and 7 have such little chance of success it would be a great deal. If they have brought Ivory into NY on Friday it must be pretty serious.

7. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. Quality is obviously a factor but we aren't talking about Peterson or Rice or someone like that.

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Well if we do the Revis Deal then that might include another pick besides the first rounder maybe a 3rd or 4th we could throw at them .... But if the deal goes down then the draft would you still want a back like Franklin, Gillislee , Bernard etc basically smaller back or get a bruiser like Le'veon Bell?

9. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I tend to disagree that they are a dime a dozen. If thats the case then every team would have a great running game. You saw how dime a dozen worked with Shonn Greene.

10. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I would do this. After Dion Jordan, it's a toss up. Pick either Austin, Warmack, or Vaccaro with 15.

11. Murrell2878

And still he was a 2-time 1,000 yard rusher. We just signed Goodson, and have Powell and McKnight. Why send a 4th round pick (or any pick for that matter) for another RB when our offense is not set? RB should be the last piece that you bring on board.

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If we add Ivory, I think we bring in a mid round QB. A running game like that would be a perfect way to get a new QB into groove

13. SienaSaints

Why the last piece though? There are no QBs to be had in this draft that people think are the franchise players so why does it matter what order the offense is built in?

14. Murrell2878

Because RBs have a short shelf life and play the easiest position in regards of going from college to pro.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

They are a dime a dozen? Yeah, how has that worked out for us...? Not so well. Our scouting department clearly can not scout talent at the RB position and a late round pick may break out once a year, but has that happened to us yet? Nope. We've spent a 3rd on Greene, 5th on John Conner, a 4th on Powell and a 4th on McKnight. Clearly that idea of "RBs are a dime a dozen" hasnt worked out for us.

Now we can either test our luck again, or we can get a proven very talented runner. If he can stay healthy (he wont be asked to carry the load as he will be splitting carries with Goodson who is a great compliment and also Powell), he's an immediate upgrade. IMO, other than Lacy, Bernard and Franklin, Ivory is a much better option than anyone in the draft. For a 4th rounder? Id say that very good value.

As for a RB not meaning much in an offense thats in flux- whats a young QB's best friend? A great run game. I was banging the Doug Martin drum last year, and I got the same response that "RBs are a dime a dozen", but what did Martin do? He carried the load and tremendously helped that offense. I truly believe that if we somehow drafted Martin last year Sanchez's career might be headed in a different, better direction.

If the organizations idea is to draft and try and develop a young QB (which seems to be what they are thinking), why not give that young QB as much talent as they can possibly get?

#75 laxin, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

James Franklin who fell to the 4th round in our draft possibly.

I am fine with getting Ivory for a 5th and 7th though if NO takes it but its not terrible if we give up a 4th for Ivory. We could get 5-6 years out of him. Its why RBs in trades can get undervalued because recently, RBs just do not have much of a shelf life anymore so you get a back in a trade but won't get him for too many years.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Idzik is coming from a situation where his team benefited greatly by trading for an oft injured running back who clearly had talent and was working in a crowded backfield. Granted, Lynch was a first round pick and showed a lot more production prior to being traded to Seattle, but there are some similarities that I have to think are on his mind.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Seattle got Lynch for a conditional 6th round pick that could turn into a 5th (sick, right?). I'd assume Idzik would want to make a similar type deal if he made a move like this.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I rather draft Miguel Maysonet

Ivory is no threat in this offense and I doubt we run the ball 35 times a game

19. SienaSaints

He is not 30 hes 25. If they can get him, Goodson and a tight end and a wide receiver in this draft. Then a QB next year that sets up the offense for years to come. I dont think it makes sense to pass on talent in this case.

If you don't think he is talented however, that is a different story. But you saw what Idzik was a part of in Seattle. They got Marshawn Lynch before they got Russell Wilson and it has paid off.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id probably rather Franklin simply due to age and injuries, but I personally dont see Franklin falling to the 4th like he did in our draft. JMO