NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

4th round pick seems fair.

2. This is all about creating competition. Powell likely is the between the tackles "A back". There shouldn't be any issues w/ that.Although unspectacular he is consistent & very good as a blocker.

The hope is somebody between Goodson,Ivory & Mcknight steps up & becomes the explosive B back who can get into the open field & create big plays.All 3 have alot of talent.Can somebody rise to the top?

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You guys want Ivory instead of Zac Dysert or Stepfan Tayor or Christine Michael or Hugh Thornton?

The guy cannot stay on the field. He just doesn't have the toughness you need out of a RB, let alone an NFL running back.

I'd scream if the Jets gave up a 4th for a guy with 24 games played the last 3 years after being injury-prone in college.

4. Br4d

Yes, but if you're in this mindset you spend a 2nd on Giovanni Bernard or a 3rd on Joseph Randle or a 4th on Christine Michael. You don't spend one of those picks on a guy who has been injured coming out of camp 2 years in a row and has then missed intermittent games in season both years. The guy has played 6 games in each of the last two years. That's not an NFL running back.

Remember last year with all the injured WR's in training camp? You want that to be the RB's next year?

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Tebow for Ivory ... let's go.

6. Br4d

Now, we're talking, although Ivory is going to cost more against the cap than Tebow. The 2nd round tender establishes a cap number of $2M+ for him and whatever deal the Jets sign him too is likely to be in the same range as the Goodson deal.

Remember in all of this that the single most likely thing to happen with Ivory next year is that he winds up on IR. I'm just not sure you want to spend cap space on that at RB when there are so many other needs out there.

7. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I am sorry dude but I am pretty sure Idzik knows what he is doing more than you do.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It could always be made a conditional pick based on performance/playing time, but you make good points.

I don't know much about the prospects you mentioned, if we could get any of those rd 3 or 4 I'd be all for it instead of trading for Ivory.

9. Unless of course for whatever reason the Jets don't like any of those guys or think Ivory could be better?

The Issue w/ Bernard appears to be that he may not make it out of the first round.A playoff team looking for an immediate contribution could pounce on him.

Michael is a guy we all seem to like. The Jets have spent a TON of time w/ him. Maybe they just can't get past those off field concerns?

I'm not a fan of giving up draft picks either...but it's hard to argue about adding ANY potential play maker to this offense.

10. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Don't want to give up any picks. If the Saints want to do it for an existing player on the roster such as Busy, Allen even McKnight than I'm in.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i would trade McKnight for Ivory in a second.
    also agree on not trading any picks in rounds 2-4.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I would like a trade instead of signing him and potentially giving up our 2nd round pick.

13. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to see if the Jets could give up some defensive pieces to Rob Ryan since he is the new coordinator in New Orleans. Kyle Wilson for Chris Ivory. Send the finger wagger away.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

My guess is it's going to be a conditional 2014 pick... this way we can protect ourselves from injuries in 2013. Like a 5th that can escalate to a 3rd based on games on the field.

15. This makes alot of sense..and I'm not sure the Saints would have any objections to this. They've got 4 RBs in FRONT of Ivory on their depth chart.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Chris Ivory is better than any player we are going to find in the fourth round. Him and Goodson would be a perfect pairing for the West Coast offense, with a little of Powell sprinkled in here and there. When you are rebuilding you have to take chances on young talent. I would prefer going with the talent that has proven he can be a productive NFL running back over a guy that hasn't touched an NFL field yet. Just like with Goodson, you gamble on health to hope you find a diamond in the rough. I would be absolutely fine with it

17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Yeah a conditional that could go as high as a 2nd pending production would be the most I could see us giving.

As previously stated I would rather have Lattimore for a 3rd anyways.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No higher than a 4th for Ivory. I think he can be a good back given the opportunity however I'd rather draft Bernard or Stepfan Taylor if they're available in the 2nd or 3rd. Money wise Ivory makes sense for the Jets as the Saints are only offering a 1 yr $2mil tender.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id rather Ivory than everyone of those guys other than Michael (who is a 3rd round pick, and has major injury concerns himself). As a pure runner, Ivory is a top 10 back in the NFL. If he could stay healthy (which is a big if, but same for Michael), then he could probably rush for well over 1250 yards. Zac Dysert IMO, has about a 5% chance of becoming a successful starting QB, and he could very well be there in the 5th. Stepfan Taylor could also be there in the 5th, and he doesnt have half the talent Ivory does.

Compared to this years class of RB's, there's only 3 that I would prefer- Bernard or Lacy in the 2nd or Franklin in the 3rd.

For a 4th round pick, the Jets get an immediate starter who could potentially lead the AFC in rushing. They also get a very good compliment to Goodson. It also allows them to use the higher picks elsewhere. I will say that the injury part does worry me though.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Saints would never do that. McKnight is a good ST player and that's it. Ivory has more value.