Braylon Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 27, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I never want to see Clyde Gates ever run another route for this team. People want to blame MS for all of the interceptions but man the routes I saw Clyde run are one of the worst

2. Ahh..I'll be honest..I haven't seen the routes you are speaking of w/ Gates. That said..he has alot of raw talent & is currently coming very cheaply. Hard to put much stock on anything that happened last season w/ him. He was thrown into a starting role mid-season w/ no prior knowledge of the O amidst one of the worst offenses in the NFL.It wasn't gonna go well.

The book on him is highly talented guy who struggles running routes. So it's already well known that the guy struggles w/ route running.It maybe beneficial to keep him around at least through TC to see if he makes any strides. Not like his salary is hampering anything anyway.

3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Bring him back for sure, IMO. Hill has proved nothing to me other than the fact that he doesn't consistently catch the ball and for all his down-field blocking ability, who knows. From what I've seen Braylon is a far superior blocker than him anyway.

Resigning Braylon should have no impact whatsoever if the Jets draft a WR higher in the draft. As it currently stands the Jets have 3 WR's returning from injuries - Holmes, Hill and even Braylon, to some degree. The only caveat to Braylon is if he decides to overvalue himself and wants way too much money.

Competition at almost every position can do nothing but help...

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

What Braylon can bring is a mentor for hill. A guy with a lot of upside coming out of college but had a big issue with drops. Really turned that around in NY and become a very sure handed receiver. Also a guy that has similar size and can really teach Hill how to use that to his advantage against smaller corner backs.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

How is Braylon Edwards a culprit? We were losing games and were out of the playoffs long before he joined the team last year. I'm not angry at 6-10, I'm happy for 2 reasons. 1. We get a high draft pick. 2. Our best playmakers were injured most of the season. We were clearly a better team, than 6-10 would suggest. Yea, we've got a QB situation, but we're not looking that bad at this moment. We have some holes to fill and work to do, but some folks act like 2013 is a wash already and we haven't even had the draft.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I thought Gates looked decent at times last season. He looks like he has some upside. He's probably not going to break into the top three even if Edwards does not come back. But top four appears very doable for him. At least he doesn't seem to have the dropsies.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We aren't competing though, this is the time you let players sink or swim. The year doesn't look too promising and Hill was hurt by injuries all year. Let him start.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a very sloppy route runner. Very undisciplined and some led to interceptions and incomplete passes. He has amazing speed but you will not succeed in this league, if you cannot run crisp routes to keep the defender honest - I didn't really see any major progression throughout the season when he was given the opportunity. I remember one game, where he ran a simple slant route and he couldn't even run that right and it led to an interception.

He's not a special teams guy either, if we end up drafting a WR in the draft he could easily be an out-man out. He's got talent I agree, I just feel he hasn't progressed much since his time in Miami, when they were complaining about the same thing. West Coast offense is all about timing and route running, he will not survive in MM's offense if he doesn't improve that aspect of his game. I've seen him make a nice leaping grab here and there so he's def got some ability. That will only get you so far though

9. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

Re-sign Braylon Edwards! This is a must for the Jets

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Idzik had experience with him on the Seahawks and he was cut by that team, so i think Idziks feelings on Braylon may be diffrent then Mr.T's or anyone elses

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

When your "stud" receiver is Clyde fucking Gates, you RE-SIGN a Braylon Edwards.

12. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Didn't he call the Jets Management idiots in a tweet? That's who you want as a mentor?

13. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

10 receptions for 125 yards and no TDs last year (in 3 games). Instant upgrade? What does that say about Hill?

And besides, I thought everyone wanted to get younger and faster. The defense is going to be so much better because it is younger and faster and hungry. But you want to bring back an older receiver?

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's also about price. He's not that old, he just turned 30. Are you seriously quoting stats that selectively only include a season when he played 3 games for us and was injured most of the year? Yes, it is an instant upgrade, and it says that Hill is still young and raw. He's only played 11 games total in the NFL. WRs don't usually break out that quickly. Edwards should be there to show Hill how to over come the dropsies. Braylon did exactly that, and since it's Hill's biggest weakness, it could be the right thing to do. Hill is the future, but Braylon could easily have a few more years left in him. It's worth the financial risk because there will be virtually none. Youth is good, but if you don't sprinkle some vets in the mix, you will have the inmates running the asylum. Leadership is important. Bringing Braylon back for the short term while Hill develops makes perfect sense and I wish we did it prior to last season.

15. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Boom. End thread.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This is an after-the-draft move. After the draft, if we didn't grab any receivers in the first few rounds, then sign Braylon as competition and depth. I'd like to see him back, but he's far from a top priority.

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I guess I shouldnt be afraid of someone else picking him up before hand, but I still am.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Was he lying? Let's go ask the GM...oh that GM is gone because he was an idiot.

19. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

So you want him mentoring the young guys to speak out against the management when he doesn't agree?

20. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

OK. I'll quote the stats from his time LAST YEAR with the Seahawks. 10 games, 9 receptions for 74 yards. How about 2011. 15 receptions for 181 yards and 0 TDs.

Everytime I see a thread about bringing someone older in, the overwhelming response is "We want to get younger and faster, no older and slower" except when it is Braylon. And he doesn't seem to have the stats to back up the love.