Braylon Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 27, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Or take the 13th, trade down and grab Justin Hunter from TN :up:

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Since I want the Jets to go OG and either LB or safety with their two top picks this draft, I do not want to go wideout. So, bring Edwards back.

THe logic at wideout is the current roster has too many question marks, but with some luck (I know, we are talking the Jets here, but still) we could see Kerley improve more, Hill start to justify his draft selection, and Holmes return to top form, in which case a high draft pick would be better spent elsewhere.

But as protectino the Jets could have Edwards there in case all three of the above do not happen. I don't like the idea of Hill thinking he's number 1 on the depth chart at second wideout before he gets to camp. Let him earn it. He should be under some pressure. Edwards in camp can help provide that. Edwards as others have noted can still play. Keep him and go fill other positinos iwth high draft picks. If a mid round selection of PBA turns out to be wideout, that is fine, but not a first or second pick I think.

3. Tenn_JetsFanatic

I say bring him back, the up side is greater than the downside

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'd bring Edwards back. He seems to be passionate and loves playing here, not to mention he still did a whole hell of a lot better than our practice squad caliber wide receivers. I also think that he seems to be a good voice to have in a locker room.

Not to mention the fact I follow him on twitter :p. So, bring him back.

He'll also be cheap

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Braylon is a June, July, August move if it becomes a percentage play on a cheap contract.

People pointing out that Idzik already knows a lot about him are correct. I'm pretty sure there's a small compartment in Idzik's conciousness titled 'Braylon Edwards'.

If Hill is ready to go there's really no reason to bring back Braylon. If he's not, well that's a different story.

6. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Cotchery not Coles?

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I like Hill, but i also recognize he's very raw.
    i think he'll get better as the years go on..

That said, Braylon would add depth and competition, and could help in Hill's development even if Edwards beats him out as starter.
    If we draft a guy, it is likely Holmes replacement for '14.

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Love the guy, would bring him back in a split second. Apparently though the CS isn't as high on him.

Read somewhere we might re-sign him after the draft... fuck, I don't understand this.

9. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Honestly, I can't think of any reason not to re-sign Edwards, it makes all the sense in the world. Sanchez's best year was with Edwards on one side, and Holmes on the other. I'll never forget the end to that Texans game in 2010. Kerley has been improving and I think will be better than Cotchery was in 2010 next season.

10. 518

518 Member

Can we all get over the fact that this is not 2010? Edwards is a mediocre WR at the present time. We cannot turn back the clock to 2010. This is 2013. We certainly need more depth at the WR position, we need to draft some talent that will get separation and make plays. Edwards at this point in his career would be a decent 4th or 5th receiver, if the Jets want to bring him in to compete with some younger talent we drafted that is just fine with me, the guy can block and would help with the depth. However the fans on here that are just a little too emotional when it comes to Braylon. Put your emotions aside and take a look at reality. Seattle (a playoff team with not that much depth at WR) threw this guy on the scrap heap. He did not exactly haul in huge catches for us in his short term here. Get him on the cheap cheap or let him find work somewhere else.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

agreed.
    also would add, bray doesnt seem to fit the mold right now. he is not young and does not have any upside.he might be a guy you add in t.c. to roundout the depth chart after some young guys don't pan out

12. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I love Braylon and want him back, and if anything just keep him here for depth purposes.

I never want to see a Clyde Gates or Chaz Schillens step on the field again for this team

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm indifferent on bringing him back. On one hand Hill needs more playing time and experience. On the other hand, our WR depth is thin and we need bodies, especially ones that would like being here. Yet on the other hand, we need to know if he can keep himself out of trouble.

Indifferent. If we bring him back, good for us. If we don't, oh well, we had fun times with Braylon in 09 and 10

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Hill needs to EARN his play time... enoguh giving players play time even though they don't deserve it (see Ducasse).

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Well, if they get a young guy to develop that they really want, there is no need to add a vet in decline like Bray. If they miss out on WR talent because someone beat us to thier guy or another player drops, they bring in Edwards as a stop gap.

The problem your having is you admit you love him, and prolbably over rate what he brings to the team.

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

See Dieon Branch, Randy Moss, (not putting him in that category), however you get my point. And i think its a no brainer that we have to get him for cheap. Rarely does a guy convey so much loyalty to a team, Rex loves him, so it wouldnt make sense not to.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'd be all about getting him back if the price is right (and it will be). He's better than Schillen's & Gates, and would be an instant upgrade over them or Stephen Hill until he develops. Holmes-Edwards-Kerley, would be a nice top 3 WR core. I'd bring him back in a heartbeat. Worse comes to worst he's not the same guy he once was, and we will have lost pennies. It's totally worth the risk. He was catching bad passes from Sanchez last year, which is a difficult feat on its own. Also, don't forget he's a free agent this year. It's not a given that he will stay, although I'd like to hope so. It def makes sense to wait until after the draft, to sign him. It's not like teams will be lining up with offers for him or anything.

#38 Barcs, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. Let him walk.It's time for a new era of Jets football on offense. Kinda funny how angry everyone is that we went 6-10 last year yet nobody wants to see any of the culprits leave. It's time to move on.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Braylon is gonna be a post-draft decision. If WR is grabbed in the first 4 rounds, he's pretty much a goner.