Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

That's why I said, "by numerous sources."

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The bonus is due Saturday, no idea when it is payable on Saturday though.

3. Boid Fink

Boid Fink New Member

Hmmm...if he is moved, I expect it to be by the morning. After that, Dom is packing it in. He gets done at 4, so he ain't got time for that.

;) (just a running joke amongst us Buc fans)

Going to be interesting. I am sick of staring at my phone waiting to see what happens. I am hearing New England is interested, but yeah...good luck to that Bellicheat!

What other team is realistically in the fold? Miami? San Fran? Denver?

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

From a Bucs fan, whats your view on the trade? Do you want Revis? What would you be willing to realistically give up? Whats your view on his contract/demands?

Just curious... Im assuming that you do in fact want him...

5. Boid Fink

Boid Fink New Member

laxin, as a Buc fan, I am inclined to want Revis a GREAT deal. ANY team would covet Revis, he is a damned animal. Just ridiculously talented. Deion Sanders talent.

Most of the Buc fans at the PR (the REVIS thread is epic...over 45 thousand views, 130 plus pages...absurd!) seem to want Revis, but the price is a big hurdle, as well as HIS asking price.

Some are onboard with giving up a first and a second and Blount. Some, like me, would rather just offer two seconds and Blount, and keep in the hunt for a solid #2 CB via free agency (Nnamdi would suffice as a rental). I just cannot wrap my mind around this game these cats are playing with each other.

Idzik HAs to move him, IMO, because he leaves for nothing and it is a slap in face of your entire organization.

We all have been over this a million times. My personal opinion is this though: we will NOT get Revis. Some other team will swoop in at the last second and get him for peanuts compared to what we offered. I just have that feeling that you guys are going to walk away pissed (we only got that!? For Revis?!) And us Buc fans will curse Dominik's name for not being able to pull off a trade to land the best corner back in the world for what seemed like small potatoes.

Who knows what will happen though. I have a headache from this crap, but it sure is fun as hell.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

let's make a simple hypothetical.

The Bucs want Revis but try to lowball the Jets because Revis will leave after the season.

the Jets don't bite.

Revis signs with the 49ers after the season.

The Bucs don't get Revis.

how did it matter to the Bucs that the Jets lost Revis if he doesn't end up with them, when they could have traded for him and given him an extension?

it doesn't. just because the Jets lost by him leaving doesn't soothe the Bucs who lost out on getting Revis.

7. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I'd much rather keep Revis at a "normal" salary than receiving a lowball offer.

2nd round pick this year and a 1st next year is the minimum I'd take. Teams are lucky he came off an injury cause a player like Revis is worth two firsts.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This exactly.

The reason the Bucs want Darrelle Revis is that he's a great CB, the best there is at the moment, and their CB's are a weakness on the team.

If the Bucs don't complete a deal for Revis they certainly don't have him for next season and in all probability not thereafter. They probably don't have him as cheap as they would if they were going to lock him up long-term and they were the only bidder.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I got you... From an objective view, placing myself in another teams fanbase, I would probably feel the same. If you are close to realistically competing, it would be a very good move. For the Bucs, it would increase the fanbase and media around the team- they would probably get crowned the best secondary in football if the added a solid #2 also. With some great pieces on offense, the only thing holding the team back from being great would be the QB position, even though Freeman is solid.

IMO, a first for Revis would be a good deal for about any team. With the market for CBs down, it may lower his asking price... He would have to argue he's worth more that double that of Sean Smith. I doubt he would accept less, but who knows.

10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Can you link to the thread? I would like to see more from TB fans' perspectives.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This weekend's bonus is only $1 Million... that's chump change in these circles.

I don't think it will have any baring what-so-ever on whether or not Revis is traded unless Woody really is that cheap.

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

This is exactly the type of Jet fan thinking that boils my blood. What have Woody and Idzik done to Revis this offseason?

Revis is the guy who is looking for Mario WIlliams type $, and he has publicly said this.

Revis has a history of holing the Jets hostage, while under contract.

Revis and his agents have leaked information about the Jets not negotiating his contract, thus he is "disrepected".

Revis is still under contract...

The Jets have not said publicly that they are shoping Revis, its all purly speculation at this point in time. Woody and Idzik are playing this perfectly, and its pissing off Revis as he no longer has leverage. If you are a fan of the Jets (and not a Revis family memeber or just a Revis fan) then you should be very encouraged by the direction we are taking. Its for the good of the team, not one player.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis doesn't have leverage at the moment because of the deal Mike Tannenbaum got from him. None of the leverage has anything to do with Idzik or Woody right now. Leverage comes from the contract not comments.

Reality is the only leverage the Jets have is how other teams percieve Revis's value which is based on Revis's play. Woody and Idzik have zero impact on Revis's value to other teams.

14. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Agreed and look at CB contracts no one is getting contracts that they were 2-3 years ago with the cap......He will not get more than 14M next year from any team!

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You know, the more this goes on for without the Jets reaching out to Revis, and while the Jets are simultaneously gutting their team, I am starting to wonder why if I were Revis I would want to stay with the Jets.

I could see redoing a deal with the Jets quite easily, accepting 13 as a down year, if I thought that they would be competitive in 14. With the moves the Jets are making, and not making, I am increasingly skeptical they can be competitive in 14 as well. Even 15 is murky at this point, but it need not be said the Jets will not, as of this juncture and where they are, be competitive in 15 as well. If I were Revis, that's too far down the road.

If he is not dealt he has to stay with the Jets for 13, anyway. So optimism about 14 would be, might be, enough to encourage him to sign up with the Jets for a long term extension. The advantages are obvious. He doesn't have to play through a final year at a discount, meanwhile risking an injury that could greatly reduce his value in FA next off season. His endorsements have more value if he stays in New York as well.

The lack of trust issue that some have gone on and on here about could have been addressed if Woody had stayed out of it, let Idzik handle dealings with Revis, and Idzik could say Tanny is gone, I am the new guy in town, and we have a fresh start, a clean slate.

But it is obvious at this point that Woody has not stayed out of it, that Idzik is doing Woody's bidding, and the fresh start opportunity is gone. Meanwhile the Jets look more and more like they will not be competitive in 14, either.

Add it all up, if I am Revis, I am thinking of some of the advantages of leaving the clown show behind, and of the attractions of the Tampa Bay area and team.

Thanks for helping me consider a new view on all this, Woody and Idzy. You guys suck.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Agreed. Those who thought this payment was some kind of make or break trigger point are not looking at the big picture. Anyone who would take the Revis contract in a trade would then have had to pay the money instead of the Jets. So that would minimize the value to them in getting it done before tomorrow.

It conceivably could have been more of a factor is multiple teams were expressing real interest in Revis. But they are not.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I've been saying for awhile 13.5 per year with lots of guarantees is probably the landing point this year.

If he proves healthy and hits the FA market next year, that price will escalate though.

18. benhamean

benhamean Member

NE rumors swirling up...

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Here is what is going to happen -- teams will realize there are still solid CB on the FA market that will cost a fraction of what Revis and his question mark knee are asking. If teams have two decent corners, solid safeties - they will be fine. Not many teams have a true legit #1 receiver that you need an elite corner to cover 1 on 1.

Revis will eventually come back to the Jets with his moron agents and sign a teal for $10 mil per. Which in the end is less than it would cost to trade him.

20. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Agreed Im good with a 7 year 75mil deal 30-40 up front or trade for a 2nd this year 1st next