Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That word is way too big for me. You need to simplify it for me to understand.

Aside from an actual GM, who would you consider to have had success in the nfl draft? As senior director of football operations at Seattle, he was likely involved in the draft as they built what they have right now.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

What you say is fair enough as far as it goes. But it does not go far enough imo to answer the basic question of arithmetic we seem to be facing here.

I don't blame Idzik for the current state of the roster in terms of the dearth of up and coming players to step in where the Jets are losing vets to FA and cuts that probably should be made. I certainly don't blame him for the problems Tanny left him with on the cap. In particular I don't blame him for the huge problem presented by Sanchez's contract compared to his woeful play, and how much that hurts the team, even going forward.

But back to the simple math, I don't see how a reliance on the draft, even over a two year period, can fill all the holes left by the FA departures and cuts. Perhaps you or some other poster inclined to feel great about Idzik can help me.

I count at least seven starters or key backups that must be replaced this year. And that assumes Revis stays and Holmes is healthy. Next year presumably the Jets can add Qb as well (since I don't see Garrard holding the fort in 14 with his condition being what it is). We can also anticipate that other holes will show up heading into next off season.

Let's be conservative, and say the Jets will need by opening day 2014 to have over the course of this draft and next year's draft come up with ten new starters and key backups.

It says here you can't do that with the draft. Not the draft alone, in any event.

Not even close.

3. Big Blocker

I assume you are referring to "dispositive", and not the longer mischaracterize.

Dispositive means disposes of the issue, acting to do so on its own. Nothing else needs to be added to the mix to make the issue or problem go away or be resolved.

What i am saying is the experience you refer to is too limited by itself to inspire significant confidence that Idzik will be a success running the draft.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I obviously don't know what Idzik's strategy will be, but if I had to venture a guess, its not to fill all the holes. At least not with high caliber players right away.

No matter what move the Jets make in FA, they will have to get very lucky this year to be in contention. Going into the season they are a major major major underdog.

The right play at this time is to let young guys play, and as Brad suggested previously, see who flops and see who emerges. The guys who emerge can be built around. The guys who flop give clear direction as to what the next steps are in building the team.

While I think it will be impossible to load the team up competitively in one or even two offseasons, I still think there are enough young core guys here that a rebuild won't take five years. Ferguson, Mangold, Wilkerson, Coples, and Harris is a pretty good interior group, hopefully to be bolstered by guys like Hill, Ellis, Davis, Wilson, and Bush. If most of the guys in the second group pan out, along with some quality drafting, the Jets won't be long out of contention.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'll leave it at this. I believe he has had much better personnel experience than Tannenbaum did. I believe their is reason for optimism given what has happened in Seattle the last few years.

I don't see much reason to be negative about him at this point.

6. Big Blocker

You might have noticed from my math that there are certain positions I did not include in that ten that will be a case of letting the young guys play and hope they pan out, as it is. Unproven players like Ellis, Davis, McIntyre, even Powell carrying more of a load at RB and Hil at wideout, Cumberland getting lots of time at TE, leaving RT alone, and of course no major injuries to any of the others leaving other holes, did not go into my count of ten.

I seriously see no one on the current roster who there's even much sense in seeing if they can prove themselves at starting for seven positions this year. So while there will be plenty of seeing what the young guys can do on the Jets the next two years, no amount of that is going to fill all the holes, and neither will that combined with even an excellent draft this year.

I know the cap gets much better next year, and perhaps by then the Jets will be able to be a player, hopefully a more effective one, in FA again. But I think that will be necessary in order to show real progress with the team in 14. And of course that and having a replacement for Sanchez.

7. Big Blocker

I do not think I am being generally negative. I just question why the Jets had to get rid of so many starters when it will not be possible to replace them all through the draft. And of course if they also go and trade Revis, that digs the hole even deeper, adding another position that must be fillled when there are already too many to fill through the draft.

Here's the thing. Idzik may think he's got as many as four years to turn this team around. But I don't think it need take four years, and more to the point i don't think the JEt fanbase is going to give them four years, no matter what I think. They need to show progress I think in 14, and with a new Qb, that should be possible.

It will not be possible if we have someone else's camp cuts starting at several positions in 14. That's all I am saying, that and that I don't know how Idzik will get there with the total of the departures we have seen so far. Not that quickly.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you seem like you are taking the extreme angle that j.idz is not going to sign any f.a's at all.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Anthony Becht ‏@Anthony_Becht
    Sean Smith off the board for #Buccaneers #Bucs I liked him.The void of CB and DE still their. As fans can't bank on Revis getting done.?.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The staring contest between the Jets and Bucs continues for now.

11. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

All of this Revis noise might just be a master plan by Idzik implying the Jets are interested in trade offer allows Idzik to test the market and if there was a deal that was good enough he'd take it, but at the same time it shows Revis what his value is as we see a CB saturated FA market and Draft I think Revis and his agents are realizing that no one will be really willing to pay 16 mil a year for him (maybe bucs?). So in the end this whole process might make Revis feel resigned to resigning here for less.

12. Big Blocker

I have not said he will not do so. But so far he has not. And if in the end he has not done so, the point is he will not be able to fill all the holes with draft picks.

13. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

http://ibnsportswrap.com/article.php?articleID=242

this is from our old pal incarcerated bob. i say fuck that cant trade him in the division, even tho that offer, if true, is good

edit: for those that dont want to click the link, the offer is this years 1st, next years 2nd, and a conditional 2014 pick based on performance, from the pats

14. boston_jet

boston_jet New Member

just saw that on Twitter as well..

I will lose my shit if this happens. The offer is likely the best we will get.. but COME ON. Not only will it hurt seeing Revis in another uniform, of all teams.... the Pats??!?!

:sad:

15. greenbeanz

yeah this cant be done. i just hope it makes TB get real and make a solid offer.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It might not be as bad as you think. First, he may never return to the same player he was and second, it will cost NE a fortune to find that out and cash strap them for years to come.

Personally I think it's all just a joke as we all know the Pats don't pay anybody not named Brady the kind of money Revis will insist on.

#456 Don, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  17. greenbeanz

i get that. and it is a good offer. but seeing him wear that jersey and having him across the field twice a year makes me want to puke

18. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

No.

The pats always get draft picks in the high 20s and low 30s, so it just wouldn't be worth it, especially because Revis would probably continue to be the most dominant CB for nearly a decade against us (given our luck).

I don't want the Jets to help the Pats get any more Super Bowls than they have already gotten.

No.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Are you honestly concerned that Idzik is so inept that he won't even be able to field a team or something? I'm sure the holes will be filled one way or another. Hopefully he's more interested in young developing talent than retread has never has beens.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Until we have an accurate QB tightly covering our WR isn't really a net plus.