Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This may all be true - but again, there's no reason for optimism. Idzik may believe that the draft is the lifeblood of an organization (does he? he hasn't acquired any picks yet), but still be a terrible drafter. His eye for talent obviously isn't that great if he's willing to ship out the teams most talented player in perhaps ever.

The only thing he's done is purge the team so far. Okay that's fine, but I refuse to be optimistic about that....

Make no mistake - this team can certainly be much worse than it was last year. So i don't believe that this might just be a valley or that team has nowhere to go but up. It can certainly get worse.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well, I'm an optimistic kind of guy. ;) (guys twitched all over the place wondering if that was a sig-worthy line)

Seriously, the path to doing anything well lies in a sound method well executed and based on what I know of John Idzik his methods are sound. Couple that with an owner who has kept the Jets in contention more years than not during his ownership, despite having QB issues all through it, and I'm feeling pretty good right now.

If Idzik can find us our QB I think we're on the way.

3. AlToon

AlToon Member

Harvin brought back #1 pick(#25),7th round pick in 2013 and a 3rd round pick in 2014.

A signed Revis. #1 pick in 2014. #2 in 2013. #5 in 2013.

The Jets will have 2 1st rounders in 2014. They will have the 5 comp picks from losing their free agents this off-season. Major influx of young talent. They have their #1 and #2 in 2013. The Bucs #2. They can trade down from #9 to add a mid to late #1 plus another 2nd.

Make more cuts next March.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What has happened thus far with the Jets does not really have that much to do with Idzik the plans were already made for the purge. There was a reason Rex was acting like a newly hired head coach in the presser.

We will bring in FA but in the over spending first couple day frenzy that was always the plan.

Revis is on Woody but nobody is giving up their one for a corner with an ACL tear if they do take it because it is a steal but my guess Revis is a Jet for 2013.

Sanchez or should i say QB is going to define the Jets and probably Idzik tenure as a Jets GM. If Sanchez can step up and be the Franchise Qb we drafted 5th overall in 2009 the Jets can concentrate else where in the draft to build this team.

If we go with Sanchez this year and he steps up the Jets will be a superbowl caliber team in 2014.

If we don't go with Sanchez or decide to draft a QB with the Ninth pick the Jets will not be a superbowl contender for at least two maybe three years and getting rid of Revis won't really matter

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean by writing off facts as assurances. I thought I said I do not consider the assurances that Idzik in fact knows personnel to be factually correct. In other words I have seen nothing to dispute the common perception of him at the time that his strength was the cap and contracts, not assessing talent. Of course this does not mean that he must be considered incapable of assessing talent. But I think it does mean one should take a skeptical view of the apparently widespread assumption, of course in homer optimist circles, that he will be a great personnel guy.

If I were Idzik, the first thing I would have done is cut Tebow.

I would have tried to trade Sanchez.

I would have tried to get Orton instead of Garrard.

I would have tried to keep Bell, given the likelihood as has happened that Landry would be leaving.

And I sure as shit would be trying to keep Revis.

It occurs to me that there is a very interesting dynamic going on around here. Some are saying Idzik is great as we seem to be seeing a 13 team coming together that probably would lose the Rose Bowl. They are optimistic that this approach will yield dividends in three years or so.

I count myself more in the camp, however small our numbers, that feel this team in fact could be competitive by 14 with Sanchez gone, if someone like Orton was the Qb, and of course that Revis was retained, and Bell holding the fort at safety. Get an OG with a high pick, hope the LB's can at least hold it together there, and use another high pick at safety and/or DE. Bring back Edwards.

Maybe Cumberland can get to the next level, and Powell. I am skeptical of Hall right now, but hopefully he gets to the next level.

By 14, this could be a playoff team with a decent Qb and the D still anchored by still young Revis and Cro.

So you see I am not really a darksider. Heh.

6. Big Blocker

Otherwise put, and i agree with you, if you are on the bottom of the valley, you just might never see the view from the mountain ever again.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

That makes sense, but a team can only be awarded a maximum of 4 compensatory picks.

9. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Exactly what Im saying, I think he's worth more. I'll bring up the Keyshawn thing again evene tho that was a long time. Ago but we got two firsts for him and revis is by far a better player then keyshawn

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see the report that we won't trade him just to trade him, we holding out for something we want. I thought this would be the case. Maybe Idzik is working on the side constructing a contract to keep Revis here with a holdout clause

11. Big Blocker

As you know but perhaps need reminding, a report is only that. It remains possible that such report is merely posturing, in order to try and get another team to offer more. Not saying that is what is definitely happening, but it might be.

12. AlToon

AlToon Member

Darrelle Revis will not play out the 2013 season with the Jets and become an unrestricted free agent. That is not going to happen.

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/312233895271747584

Woody is not paying Revis.

The other option is a trade. That NY Post story is a leak to tell other teams they need to improve their offers. Or TB needs to improve their offer.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Which is also fine in itself. We aren't getting what we want, hint that we aren't letting him go and are fine with holding onto him.

It's nice to see the NY Post reporting as "league source" and not "source within the Jets organization". It still could be someone with the Jets, but at least it doesn't seem that way

14. AlToon

AlToon Member

4 is good.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He was a football coach at the college level and came into the NFL as a scout with the Bucs (3 years). You may not consider that factual, but those are facts.

16. Big Blocker

I don't dispute them. I just don't find them dispositive to the issue.

17. Big Blocker

The Jets may still end up taking less than they are implying they would insist on.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What type of experience would you consider as related to having personnel experience? Apparently coaching and scouting is not relevant. So what is?

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree with this, cautiously. Knowing the Jets the floor can fall out in an instant and it shouldn't come as a surprise if it does.

That said, the Jets not doing anything in free agency isn't a bad thing nor the sign of incompetence on Idzik's part. The Steelers have run their team this way for a long time now and it works.

The draft is what will make or break the Idzik tenure. The draft is where championship teams are built. Free agency certainly can give temporary boosts but the real building needs to be done in April.

We'll see how it goes but so far I'm glad to see Idzik isn't giving desperate Jets fans and the media the same garbage they crave and expect, which is instant gratification moves. The Jets need to stop living for today and start building something that can endure.

Listening to Garrard on the radio made me realize that more importantly than having competition for Sanchez, this is a guy with a great attitude who is going to be a healthy influence in the locker room. Garrard will likely have 0 direct effect on winning a championship, but I think he'll be a good influence in the rebuilding process, helping mentor the young guys and providing a team first leadership presence. I think Idzik got it right with this signing.

20. Big Blocker

A record of success in the NFL draft.

And you are mischaraterizing my post. I did not say they are irrelevant. I said they are not dispositive of the issue.