Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

How does Blount fit the WCO offense? As a fullback?

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't know if he's a good fit as a pass catcher or pass blocker...he stinks at both but he's Shonn Greene with speed and ability to find holes. He's a 1000 yard back and touchdown maker just not a complete back....wish he'd learn how to be a better pass catcher or blocker. He should be a better goal line back but that hasn't translated.

Don't know if we find a better RB in the draft without use a of a high pick than Blount. He needs to grow up with the attitude though.

He's like Jacobs was for the Giants honestly but with more explosion ability.

#402 BakerMaker, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

You have some good points. But I must disagree and say, I'm not so sure if its a good time to be a jet fan. I'm 36, I may be dead by 2015. Lol I have seen more of my fair share of jet rebuilding attempts. Kind of sick of them at this point.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

But what was the alternative at this point? Clear some cap space and add another set of average free agents to the Jets for another shot at 9 or 10 wins before the team really collapsed?

I've had my fill of teams that were not quite good enough even though I enjoyed the one team in 2010 that was loaded for bear and just missed out. I want to see the Jets win 12 to 14 games a year for a few years in a row in here. It's not impossible to do that, you just have to find the QB that can make it happen and then give him enough support that failing is not an option.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Ultimately, we are in a position where we want the most we can get, and they want to give the least they can. We as Jets fans have watched Revis every week, and we know what we are trading away. Tampa fans only know what they hear, at least most. However, Tampa will have at least 4 games in division that Revis will be an impact player, and with Carolina on the rise, probably 6, and that doesn't count other NFC teams like Green Bay and Chicago (Marshall).

We as Jets fans also know that even though Revis is a player looking for every cent he can make, he will show up week in and week out. His knee injury will not hold him back if he is 100% going into the season, which he is expected to be.

IMO, the only way Tampa trades for Revis is they have already negotiated a new contract, and thus is worth a 1st round pick and a conditional pick. With this conditional pick, if he returns to form, he is worth at least another 2nd, especially in that division.

Here is what I would counter with. Tampa Bay offers their 13 pick in 2013, and a conditional 4th in 2014 If revis plays 50% of the defensive snaps (else voided). If Bucs make the playoffs, and Revis plays in 70% of the snaps. it upgrades to a 3rd, if the bucs win a playoff game, and Revis makes the Pro Bowl it upgrades to a 2nd, if the Bucs make the playoffs, and Revis is all pro it is a 1st.

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

There is no good answers, so I do agree with you on that point. you might as well tear it all down now.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Brazen331

Posted Today, 01:21 AM
    DRC off the market, Cox off the market, CB class is thinning fast. Bucs must be confident they can swing this deal. If Grimes signs somewhere, they might have to give up that 13th pick.

http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/index.php?/topic/18306-darrelle-revis-will-be-traded/page__st__810

This is what I was getting at.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I was all in favor of blowing this thing up and starting from scratch,,,that is indeed what is happening,,,but Rex should not have been spared . If you are going to do it do it right. With this purge I only hope they do not undersell Revis.i have zero problem trading him but do not just give him away.

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Rex and his bravado turned our franchise into front page news. No owner is going to dump that.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

11. wildaces

wildaces Banned

12. AlToon

AlToon Member

First round pick in 2014 is fine. How many teams are willing to pay Revis what he wants? Get the Bucs 2nd round pick in 2013. The strength of the 2013 draft is 15-40/50. The Jets will have their 2nd. The Bucs 2nd. Trade down from #9. Accumulate picks in that range. The Bucs get a signed Revis. Woody isn't paying Darrelle $15M plus. Glazer is willing to pay him. Idzik likes the cheap and young players signed to cap friendly contracts. Make the deal. Move on.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How can you possibly say that 2014 and such will be a revival? How can you possibly say this is a good time to be a Jets fan??

It's quite possibly the opposite! So far they've done nothing to indicate they are rebuilding "right". Maybe they will, but taken at face value the only thing we have happening is a purge. There is no real reason for your optimism other than blind faith though...

Idzik's drafts might very well be terrible, we haven't a clue at this point. Having an owner that craves headlines and doesn't want to pay top players would make things worse. 2013 is going to be rough and beyond that we have to hope that this guy hits on his draft picks. 2014 we likely have a new coaching staff..

You are more confident that a rookie GM is going to hit on his draft picks than you are that this team can win with a proven, HOF player and winner like Darrelle Revis?!?

I'm all for giving the new guy a early pass, but seriously? I'm not going all in on him like this... I sure hope in 3 years you don't have to change your name to "Idzik Sucks"

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we are 2 days into FA, things don't look good right now but things can change quickly in this league. The teams that usually make the biggest splashes in FA aren't successful. Look at the last 2 years- Philly in '11 and TB in '12, we can go on and on.

15. jet since '65

jet since '65 New Member

Revis in Paris? Who goes to Paris in March? Nobody! April, oui! March, non! It's cold now, leafless trees - so why is he there?
    Maybe because his agents told him to get out of Arizona, where interested trade partners could look at him & get him examined. Revis doesn't want to be traded to Tampa, since that could damage the Nike deal which will provide him with income past his playing days. The agents want him in NY, not Tampa. Also, he has an excuse to get lost until Saturday when his $1,000,000 bonus gets cashed.
    But, could this week in Paris backfire? A guy could put on 10 pounds in a Paris week - oo-la-la! The pastries, the sauces, the wine, no workouts for a week. Deconditioned, but a million bucks richer & still in NY!

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

the fact is Idzik has no track record of success in his current position. That is the risk the Jets took when they went with him. Despite the assurances at the time of his signing that he knows personnel, the fact is he was and properly so widely seen as a cap/contract guy, not an FO guy who knows alot about personnel.

So now the Jets can't or won't make FA moves, have a ton of holes with at least seven starting and key backup positions in need of filling, and the homer optimists here are just flat out assuming Idzik will fill those holes, even over two seasons while also replacing Sanchez, with draft picks?

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if he did that.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Ny post reports Revis may be a Jet in 2013 and the trade may not happen because no offer has been strong enough.Why not try and shop Cromartie at this point instead.It becoming obvious that no one wants to give us what Revis is worth.Idzik is smart enough to realize that this move could define his legacy here in NY and he has to tread carefully

#418 LongIslandBlitz, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I can say it because the Jets are in the valley at the moment and they have nowhere to go but up. I can say it because they have begun the process of climbing out of that valley in the best possible way, with a change at the top of the personnel hierarchy and too a guy that understands that the draft is the lifeblood of an NFL franchise.

Every move they've made so far is consistent with what they said they'd do. We haven't signed a single late prime free agent at a premium to come in and fill a gap. We haven't spent any money on maintaining the mediocrity that was on the current roster.

I was all for bringing Mike DeVito back. The guy is a class act and he's a solid player. But.. He's not worth $12.6M over 3 years. That's grass is greener on the other side of the fence territory for the guys who signed him. That the Jets didn't bow to popular opinion and blow precious cap space on a solid one-dimensional player in his late prime is a good thing.

LaRon Landry was a better player than DeVito but he's also late prime and he's injury prone even if he managed to put a full season together in a contract year last year. At $4M a year he would have been a great retention even given his age and injury history but at $14M guaranteed and $6M a year he wasn't.

Everybody else the Jets have lost or will lose is a non-core player for them. Solid citizens all and also solid players but not worth overpaying for. The NFL stands for Not For Long and for good reason. If you're not a star player the odds are pretty good that 30 is where you hit the road.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is all true, but most new GM's getting hired have no prior experience as GM. Either that or they are usually got fired. Either way you'd have a problem with it.

Idzik could be the worst GM we ever hired. He could also be the best. We have no way of telling how good or bad he may be at this early stage in the game.

If you want to write off facts as assurances, that's your prerogative. I don't know why you feel the need to do that?

We're probably going to suck in '13 regardless of what FA moves are made. Obviously it's a cap/roster purge year. What moves do you believe Idzik should have made already that he hasn't?