Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Likewise cornerbacks are going off the board day by day....Talib ain't returning to the Bucs he's burnt bridges, Nmandi has a sweepstakes going on, Grimes and the Falcons seem like a match made in heaven...

I mean they can take old man Winfield I suppose but he and Ronde Barber in the secondary together? Too many question marks in terms of age. Sean Smith's a nice cornerback but number 1 CB? Nooooooo. They can take Xavier Rhodes at 14 but to expect him to come in right away and be a go to shutdown cornerback in that division is unfair.

I think Idzik is hoping day by day CBs go and go and that the Bucs realize that they need to give up a little bit more to get Revis. Its that or the Schiano/Dominik regime may face a bit more steam as players have been pissed off as the "College-level" coaching staff last season and they still should be 4th in that division and all.

#381 BakerMaker, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

It's ALSO the worst case scenario for Revis. He gets little money and a year full of injury-risk. Think about that.

3. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Yeah, but that doesn't impact negotiating leverage in our favor. It's a bad scenario for Revis and the Jets, that just makes it easier for the Bucs to hold strong in their position. The next 24 hours should be pretty interesting now that only a few CBs are left. If Tampa Bay's plan B was to snag free agents, they're going to have to make a move. If guys like Smith and Grimes get signed, that gives us back a little leverage.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I think you read that wrong

5. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

So you think the Jets would rather hold on to Revis until week 8 and get traded, what, 2014 draft picks? Why not just take the 2014 first round pick right now and not wait, not deal with an unhappy Revis, not gamble that he comes back at 100% and plays his hardest as a lame duck player?

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Haha, that I did.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Right now it is a game of chicken and who is going to give first. The longer Tampa waits the more Revis is worth. If it comes to we pay a roster bonus, the price goes up, and the more corners that come off the board, the price goes up.

They just spent a bunch of money for a safety, but still have no cornerbacks to speak of, and the alternatives are aging cornerbacks that are no where near as capable of Revis.

I would take a 2nd and a 1st next year, but I am now thinking we should hold out and get a 1st and a conditional.

If Revis decides to sandbag this year, if we keep him, who does that really hurt?

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

No, I am saying the Jets have the control. It's not like we are fucked if we have to keep the best corner in the game. We realistically can sign Revis at anytime.

9. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Revis and us.

I agree that the price goes up if all of the CBs are off the board, but as they start going off the board, it might make the Bucs embrace plan B rather than wait on Revis. I think it could go either way. Plus, we're still in the position where only one team is bidding on Revis.

There's no harm in waiting on making a move and I think that's our best bet now.

10. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I wish they would just pull the trigger. Who cares this year or next first round pick, the jets have already thrown up the surrender flag for the 2013 season.

11. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Not really, yes we would lose a 2nd round pick, and a conditional, but Revis loses millions.

12. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Big difference is that there is tons of depth in next years draft at the QB position which is what the team needs and this year there really is a weak draft at the top. Having an early second this year and a first next year would be a lot better than first this year and second next year.

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I would love to play poker with alot of people on here. :beer:

14. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Right now, the Jets are playing poker with exposed cards and they aren't very good. This whole situation is a nightmare.

15. chris5533

You think the jets are playing poker? All the nothing they have done during free agency, and the way they have kept the desire to trade revis quiet. Lol this leads you to believe what? This is the rope a dope. They have some brilliant plan? Seems like there plan is to dump everyone, fire Rex Ryan in the off season and sart over 2014

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

2 days in and no real moves by anyone. People are still getting cut, and we are are just sitting back. We arent publicly airing our laundry, and are getting our info through second hand intelligence. Our team needs more than most, and limited money to do anything. Our only real play at this point is to call the bluff.

So you think nothing is going on?

17. chris5533

I follow what your saying. I feel this is more of a purge situation. I don't think they are invested in 2013 on any level. So yes they will field a team. Not one that will be competative

18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Why should they rush right away to the very best offer and not wait an extra day or so to see if someone jumps in to get in on the deal?

I think a deal gets done by Friday afternoon....Idzik will take what the best offer is.

I'd do 2014 1st, 2013 4th(Or 3rd if we can pry it), 2013 6th and RB LeGarrette Blount.......its not the most ideal offer but we are getting back 4 players in return.

19. chris5533

I don't think the problem is peoplle not wanting revis talent. I think no one want to jump in due To his never ending financial demands. Anyone willing to deal with that the jets need to let them have him. Even he signs a long term deal with a new team at his absurd 16 mill a year request, do you really believe he won't act up and demand more money if he plays well? He's broken 2 contracts with the jets, and coming off a majorly injury he's looking for almost double what any other corner makes. Business wise, revis is a nightmare for an organization.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's definitely a purge. However that will be followed by a revival come the draft.

Some of the players that the Jets have let go will really be missed in 2013. That's what happens when you have to let a prime to post-prime player go for economic reasons. However the flip-side of that reality is that a bunch of young players are going to get opportunities to play in 2013 that they would never have gotten otherwise.

Some of those guys won't work out and we'll notice that when it happens. It may cost the Jets some games. Some of the guys will work out and we'll notice that also. The odds are the Jets will find a star we didn't even know about because they're going to give a lot of guys the chance to be that star next year.

By 2014 the roster will be better than the state it was in going into 2011. By 2015 we should see a Jets team poised to open a window and since the master plan that got us there has changed some we may well see the ceiling the Jets have put on their efforts over the last decade plus lifted as well.

It's a good time to be a Jets fan. We get to watch this team get built from the ground up again. That hasn't happened since at least 2006 and really not since 1997.