Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Really a third or a second for Revis?? thank god you dont run the team. We still have Cro and we will also have two first round picks assuming we trade Revis for a first. Trading him for anything less then that would be just flat out stupid on so many levels.Id rather keep him for one more year then trde him for a third of even a second

#241 LongIslandBlitz, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. cambam71

cambam71 Member

I honestly think we're just letting Revis feel out the market while still being our asset.

I mean think about it - make up trades with other teams, have their FO talk to his people, see that he won't get the amount of money he wants in today's NFL (with an emphasis on drafting your team) and then tell him here's our offer - take it or good luck.

It's a jerk thing to do - but maybe make him rehab that ACL all season if he stays so he has to take a pay cut because he hasn't proven anything at the end of the year when he's a FA.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Not an option. Are you paying attention to what's going on with Revis contract status?

You can't keep Revis for one more year & then trade him. After this season he becomes an unrestricted free agent & he can not be franchised. Either you trade him now, or you keep him for one season & negotiate against the entire league to resign Revis. Btw, don't expect any hometown discounts.

4. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Rotoworld Report: Eagles pull out of Revis sweepstakes
    Sources tell the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Eagles have pulled out of the Darrelle Revis trade talks.
    The Jets are reportedly in talks with the Bucs and another mystery team. That unknown organization is not the Eagles. Although they have a need at corner and plenty of cap space, GM Howie Roseman is clearly wary of breaking the bank in the free-agency market once again after the failed "Dream Team" experiment of 2011. He made a sharp, cost-effective deal with former Rams corner Bradley Fletcher on Tuesday night.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Every team could pick someone like Gholston.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

$10 bucks this "mystery team" they speak of is Detroit. Wouldnt be surprised if Revis is swapped to them for their high second

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If these are the only two choices, which one do you take:

Revis plays out the 2013 season then heads to Belichecks open arms where we face him 2-3 times a year for the next 10 years

-or-

Trade him today to the Bucs for a 3rd rounder.

8. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

That bet is too rich for my blood. Struggling economy and all. :breakdance:

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

#249 Big Blocker, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I can't see anybody signing Revis rehabbing from an ACL including the Jets. If a team is stupid enough to offer a high round draft pick as is without knowing if he is still Revis island makes sense to listen.

Again, I don't see anybody trading for Revis or signing him until he proves the knee is 100% and he is still the same player. Not everybody is AP.

11. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

IMO this is being mismanaged. I don't see why we wouldn't let him come back and either trade him before the deadline or try to work out a deal midseason. Maybe that's what they're thinking when they are blocking other teams from talking to his agents.

He's more likely to have stronger feelings about staying a Jet midseason while he's actively getting the love and making plays. Right now he is distanced away from all of that.

Also his value is as low as a potential all time great will ever have. ACL surgery is one thing but demanding best corner in the league money while no one has seen you back pedal and react to a move or a ball is another. Teams are wary, as they should be. That's the Jets stance, too. Once injuries happen and patches in the secondary teams made come unglued, his value will be much higher.

IMO, the main incentive to move him now is that we are totally devoid of talent so we need picks this year rather than next.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

While I share your pov on trading him now, which you might have added makes even less sense since they have not even tried to cut a deal with him that would keep him here, underscoring the perception that this is just about Woody being emotional, there is unfortunately a problem with the scenario you suggest, that being a trade during the season.

I still think the best option for getting max value for Revis is, as you suggest, partly when he can show (assuming he can, and of course the Jets do not know he can't) that he will be back from the acl surgery. But it is also if he can be locked into a new deal, and not just be a 13 season rental.

Now in theory that could be included in a mid season trade. But the problem is on the other end - how can a team wait for that time, not knowing whether they will in fact come to a deal with the Jets, and meanwhile structure their roster accordingly, leaving cap space available to sign Revis? It can be done, but it greatly limits such a team in preparing for next season without there being any assurance of a payoff in the form of Revis going to that team.

I just don't see any other team waiting for that scenario to play out.

There could be a situation where a team would both see a use for Revis and have cap space and a roster where he would fit. In theory. But as a practical matter, it is unlikely.

To clarify by saying a roster where he would fit means that that team has not already gotten cb's that demand a certain amount of money, that to add Revis on top would be a problem. If a team today sees a need for Revis, but can't get him, they will presumably try and fill their holes at cb with other players. Having done that in the off season, there would be less incentive for such a team to sign him mid season.

13. Going4TheGreen

I think it's more likely that a team will be CB hungry in the middle of the season than right now at the height of FA and before the draft when every DB needy team thinks they can pick a stud.

In midseason, injuries will happen or those patches won't work out. And hypothetically, there will be some teams saying 'if only we could have stopped Andre Johnson or AJ Green this season, we would be sitting at 4-2 instead of 2-4.'

The one year rental thing is an issue, to be sure. But, like in the NBA, a player who is closing in on UFA will agree prior to the trade to re-sign long term with the team receiving his services. I believe that can happen in the NFL, and maybe in the case of Revis too. But apparently, he really loves the money (who can blame him?), so he may not do the Jets any favors and just play the year out at 6MM with us and let the bidding wars begin in the offseason next year.

Also the resources already tied into formulating the CB position for the potential suitors in a midseason trade is a problem but if zero teams are willing to commit X% of their cap to the CB position, he shouldn't expect the Jets to. Maybe that will be the great downturn/readjustment in terms of CB contract money relative to the cap in this league. Asomugha's been released now and Davis is dead. Maybe this will be the big slap in the face that Revis and all the league's cornerbacks need. It's just not financially sound to have these contracts for guys on the periphery of the field affecting one offensive option. It's a passing league and that is not a sustainable formula.

14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Check out this post on NYJetscap.com that shows the cap hit for 2013-2015 based on when he is traded. To me it looks like the best option is trade him prior to March 17th to absorb all the hit in 2013 and be clear of it next year.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articles/trade-timeline.html

15. Going4TheGreen

What is the 2013 Cash column?

It does look like it would cost upwards of 15M to have him for some # of weeks during the season to let his value build up and trade him midseason.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets wait until the trading deadline to trade him they're basically going to get a rental fee that will cap out at a playoff 2nd at best. There's very little likelihood of Revis negotiating a deal with his new team at that point unless it is a top of the market deal.

I think the break-even point at which Revis trade value will only decline from thereon is about August 1st. That's the point at which a team would have Revis for all of training camp in order to fit him into their scheme. After that his value to a team gets lower and lower, even assuming an injury to one of their starting CB's. No player is going to make a seamless move over to another team in mid-season. The offenses and defenses are too complicated to pick up on the fly.

17. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Thats definately some good info right there.I think he will definately be gone by the 17th.

18. Going4TheGreen

So is it impossible to do the NBA thing and work on an extension for the acquiring team so they can avoid his free agency next year?

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Hope we resign him, but if not get him out before then

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So it's game 8 and Revis is playing well enough to attract a trade offer, likely from a contender who lost a CB for the season. What is Revis motivation at that point to sign for less than $16M a year?

He's going to hit free agency in March '14 and the market will naturally evolve from there. An offer less than he perceives as top of the market in November of '13 is just going to get politely declined.

Revis may well not get what he is looking for in free agency but he has just 8 games to get through at that point to see what's out there. He'll also have a better shot at choosing his landing spot.

I'd say it's next to impossible to get a deal done during the season unless you're willing to bid against all the phantom offers that will be arrayed against you.