Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Mario Williams is far from a useless fucker. Yes, he had an off year last year but he got his contract based on his overall performance to that date. Don't write him off he is more likely to play to par next year then repeat last years level.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Mario got his contract based on hope, he has shown that he can be a really good player he just really hasn't been and he was entering prime years. He's never been a dominant player, never been on a revis level. he was badly overpaid by a desperate Buffalo team.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets need a WR. I can see us getting Boldin and a pick for Revis from the 49ers.

4. TurkJetFan

FWIW

The New York Daily News reiterates that the Jets are "poised" to trade Darrelle Revis "in the coming days."
    "Bet it," a source familiar with the situation told the Daily News. "If [Revis] isn't traded by tomorrow, Idzik is an idiot. One buyer might dry out. He has to move him. The risk of keeping him kills the franchise for five years and Idzik is gone." The Jets are looking for draft pick compensation and a team that is willing to satisfy Revis' contract demands of $12-$16M per year. The best time to do a deal is this week, before interested teams satisfy their cornerback needs via other avenues.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

When it comes to that headache, it is more a self induced one. There is no reason why the Jets cannot do a deal with Revis, but Woody does not want to pay him out of pride.

6. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Fuck me once shame on you, Fuck me twice shame on me, There will be no 3rd Fucking.

I applaud Woody.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no pun intended of course with harvin......

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

9. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

seems like our FO has as many holes as our defense with all these leaks

10. TurkJetFan

Based on what? Your own hurt feelings over Revis or the truth? How do you know this besides making baseless assumptions?

There is something to be said for keeping Revis yes, but at least acknowledge there is something to be said for trading him at this point as well. It's a matter of organizational direction at this point.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

:rofl: - sorry paying a CB 12M-16M is a pretty bad idea. Out of pride? Revis continuously tries to screw us. I think Tanny made some bad decisions especially after the Colts AFCCG promising to take care of Revis, but it's not out of pride

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

14. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The obvious plan for the Jets is to go into full rebuild mode. Anyone who can't see that is lying to themselves. This team is going to suck for a few years while new pieces are added to the puzzle. The Jets three or four years from now will be very different than the team you see today.

15. nyjunc

Temas get good and bad quickly in this league, the days of 5 year rebuilding projects are long gone.

16. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

NYJUNC - I generally agree with most of your posts, but your analysis on the Revis situation is flawed. First, we both agree he is probably the best player ever in a Jets uniform and if the circumstances were different we would like to see him retire as a Jet. That being said, what was possible in the pre-salary cap era is not feasible in today's NFL - meaning you don't pay a cornerback a franchise QB salary.

Your claim that Revis "shuts down half the field in a pass happy league" is completely flawed logic. In the NFL of the 1980s and 1990s, Revis would be a dominant CB and clearly superior to Deion when factoring in his superior run support skillset. That dominance though, would be based upon the offensive designs of 20 years ago where NFL offenses max protected and ran 2-3 receiver patterns. Having the ability to shutdown the Michael Irvins and Jerry Rices of the day would literally take away half the offense of the dominant teams of the era.

Unfortunately the NFL of today has evolved from 2-3 receiver patterns to 4-5 receiver patterns over the past decade. In many ways, Revis is the victim of his own success and his value to a defense is watered down. The way you beat him is by simply not throwing at him and running 3 or 4 other receivers out in a pattern. At best, Revis can only eliminate 20-25% of the passing game - a far cry from shutting down "half the field."

In the old days, you could get away with one stud WR and a good complimentary WR (think Irvin-Harper or Rice-Taylor). In today's NFL, a deep WR corps will effectively neutralize any shutdown corner. Plus Revis' worth to a team isn't as great as you would think given that the Jets pass defense was just as good with him this year as they were without him.

At the end of the day, you don't pay a player $16 million per year to shutdown a premier WR that factors in at best 6.25 plays per game (100 catch WR over 16 games). In a league where you have essentially only 8-10 elite receivers and the average NFL team may only face only 4-5 in a given scheduled year, paying elite CB money for a full season is complete overkill. It is the NFL salary cap equivalent of swatting flies with sledgehammers.

-K73

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

So much revolves around QB play in the league, if the Jets fix their QB situation they can be back in it pretty quick.

The Jets also have some good young players on defense in Wilkerson and Coples. After 2013 there will be a lot of free cap space when the Jets can get Sanchez and Holmes off the books and basically start fresh.

18. nyj8085

nyj8085 Member

It is so apparent that these leaks are from Revis and his agents to try to get the Jets to rush whatever timetable the team has set for the Revis situation to be resolved. The idea that there will no conerback market after free agency or the draft seems insane to me. The first training camp or preseason injury to a big name and expected starter as a db and suddenly Revis is back in the conversation. This would give the Jets the position of leverage which is what they expect to have. Not to be backed into a corner by Revis and his agents. The agents are clearly trying to win the public relations battle on this one. But I don't think ... read pray... that the Jets will budge til they feel they have to

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

My money is on Tampa Bay trade announced today.

Get your best guesses in.

20. nyjunc

I don't disagree w/ most of what you wrote but we don't know he wants $16 mil, we haven't even begun to negotiate and if he says he wants $16 mil that's a starting point not a negotiation. That doesn't mean he gets $16 mil but he should be the highest paid corners in the league and one of the highest paid defensive players. he's earned that and while offenses are different now than previous eras he's still an elite defender that has a huge impact on how good our Ds have been. I know people will point to last year and say we were fine w/o him but that's not factoring in how bad our O was and how opposing O's played conservatively against us knowing that they would win as long as they didn't committ silly Tos and hand us a game.