Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

this storm is completely AWOL, wtf - what happened?

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Lets answer all.

Yep...tons of busts and only parts of VA and western md did good. But the radar continues to show this thing moving back into the area and again...the best snows will be tonite and tomorrow am. Some in CT will be shocked how the main part of the storm brought them nothing...and the back end will give them over 6" because thats whats going to happen for many north of central NJ.

Numbers go up as you travel north with parts of NY State and Mass getting over 8 but the big question for some posters here is how far south does that get. Again, do not expect much today at all. Tonite, its just about watching the radar and seeing how far south the trough sets up. This is the only thing I have been positive about with this storm....the rest? a joke. But people along the shore will not agree...from a snow standpoint yes...but some really had major wind damage and parts of MD got over 7" of rain...bad situation down there.

But today is not a day to say what went right..but a day to say what went wrong. Im reading hundreds..and I mean hundreds of Mets patting themselves on the back how parts were predicted well. Are you kidding me? Horrible job..including myself who should have seen the warning signs that a storm that far off shore will not dump the snow the a few models predicted.

I even got in an argument last night with one guy who said the models did well with certain parts of the storm. huh? Because they got it right that it would be very windy? Come on...the problem people like him and MYSELF have had all winter long is that fool me once..shame on you...fool me twice..shame on me..fool me 4 times...whos not paying attention.

Now with that said, the public doesnt want to hear "well the models say 8-12 but they suck..so who knows." I even thought the models on the low end underestimated the strength of the storm. They did not. While the Euro busted north..it was dead on down here but most didnt want to buy into it.

Heres where the models did well...when its all said and done...prediction for 4-8 will probably happen north of I80 BUT...it will be over a 3 day period. Big deal.

So you live and learn. Cant even say Im frustrated by it anymore. Its been a horrible 2 years. Some will say Sandy...Sandy did well but it really didnt. Those that chose the right model with Sandy did very well and thats a good thing..but even Sandy on 75% of the models was just a normal ocean storm. Ask Bloomberg who was whispering in his ear waht model they were following when he said a day before that he sees no reason for concern.

So...thats where we are at and yes...by tomorrow morning there will be snow on the ground and in some places school will be canceled and business will be closed just not sure where that sets up..but will 100 percent know that by this evening when the trough begins to form. It stays pretty stationary over whatever area it chooses and will be easy to see on radar.

Sorry guys that I couldnt have delivered a more on target prediction but I hope during the past 72 hours I tried to convey that this was one of the toughest ones I have ever seen...and many would bust.

And if I tell you 2 weeks from now all the models show a huge noreaster would you bite? Good..lol..me either but thats what they are showing.

3. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

jay wtf are u saying?????

4. jaywayne12

lol..which part..about additonal snow? Or about how we all screwed up.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Double post.

6. Br4d

It's not AWOL, it's just not precipitating. I've got wind gusts to 60 MPH outside at the moment.

I went to the bank half an hour ago and had to stop to pick up several neighbor's trash bins that had been blown into the middle of the road. Trash day here and there were bins all over the place.

7. jaywayne12

everything but precip right now brad..but thats coming tonite..guaranteed.

8. Br4d

It's so windy right now that the turkey buzzards are all squatting on the lawn instead of up in the trees. We've go 30MPH gusts spiking up to 60MPH. I can't imagine what those are like a hundred feet above the ground.

9. 17a_tailgater

im gonna hold u to that REX

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

nothing going on in manhattan except overcast skys and random flurries or slush balls every few minutes

11. jaywayne12

Its amazing how being compared to Rex is a bad thing now...and no...I could care less about my wifes feet.

And yes...no problem 17...hold me to it...its deserved.

12. 17a_tailgater

[​IMG]

13. jaywayne12

lol...17..good one..ok..Im man enough to come back here when Im wrong...just make sure you naysayers are back here tomorrow morning.

Ok..the trough is beginning to set up..and if my eys are seeing this correctly, looks to set up from north jersey straight line into ny state..how wide and if NNJ stays in the loop will pan out in the next 4 hours but this will happen.

Now, some weather guys are saying the storm is coming back at us and that is NOT whats happening..what this is is that the storm is pulling a smaller disturbance over the Great lakes in to it and the lift from that will dump a pretty decent amount of snow. Again...some will get 2-3..some will get 8 or more. Really hope I get it because I would love to take the morning off.

Here in NNJ and north..it should start off as a mix of rain and snow and quicly turn to snow this evening. Lets see who wins out and gets tjhe most on what should be the lightest part of this storm..but will end up being the strongest precip wise.

14. 17a_tailgater

anything for the 5 boros?

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Keep em coming Jay :beer:

16. jaywayne12

temps will be an issue 17 for those locations but a 2-4 can happen if the heavier stuff comes down after 11pm when temps crash a bit.

Just checked the radar and the trough looks to be setting up from north jersey into south ny state and then east into western conn and central and western mass.

Other areas will get some snow but the areas mentioned...some locations are going to get 4-8.

The trough seems to be entering north jersey now and precip should start to pick up in the next 2 hours. Again, not until the sun goes down for a few hours will accum begin...but a turnover to snow should be rather quick.

17. jaywayne12

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thanks Jay,,,.,,,,,,will keep checking it

19. jaywayne12

Yeah...you can see the radar really filling in with the heavier stuff. Was a very light mix here..then light snow..almost moderate now. The whole state is slowly filling in and looks like central to southern NY state is going to follow suite if it hasnt already. These numbers will hit tonite.

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay I keep checking that link,,,,,,do you think the snow will come down heavy at all tonite or is moderate the best we / I can hope for ,,,,,,or is that something you just won't know ?