Jets work out free agent QB David Garrard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Rider, Feb 28, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The real questions will begin after the 2013 season. The Jets will hope that they are in a position to draft one of the two franchise QB's(Manziel or Bridgewater).

What happens if they miss on both of these guys? Because noone in their right mind can honestly say that Garrard, Sanchez, or McElroy will be the long term answer as our QB. It's just foolish to think so.

I'm fine with Garrard as a stopgap for this year but the long term answer at QB won't be answered until this time next year and if they miss on those two guys that I listed than what happens? Obviously another name or two could come out of the woodwork in college next year but it still puts the Jets in a precarious position when talking about how to address the QB position for the next 5-10 years.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I don't get the fascination with Manziel very good for freshman but he is a long way from pro ready.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Draft players on offense then have Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy each play a preseason game from start to finish. Then have the winner play in the 4th game as the starter. Then go with that guy and cut the worst one of the 2 because we can't the very worst one due to his contract.

Let's get our future QB next year.

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Tebow is getting cut soon

6. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

4205 yards 42 TDs, 6INT 71.2% completion on a shitty West Virginia team with no semblance of a running game. Yeah, he's totally overrated...

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He had explosive weapons all over the field. Can he handle a true pro-offense that requires progressions? Look beyond the statistics. I question him being a true student of the game as well. I don't think he's the answer at QB at all.

8. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I mean, its a bit of a crap shoot isn't it? Hes clearly got the physical tools to be a first round pick, not saying WE should draft him but I dont think hes overrrated at all.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He's only a hundred times better than anyone on the Jets roster, but I guess according to you he's not ready.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I can name you a projected late rounder/UDFA that threw for 4147 yards, 31 TDs, 5 INTs with a 68.8% CMP with not nearly the weapons Geno had while breaking Russell Wilson's NCAA record of consecutive pass attempts (444) in a career without an interception.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

And yet every football analysis keeps calling it a weak QB class with no real standout. He put up good numbers but he has some glaring flaws. Don't forget Tim Tebow put up some outstanding numbers in College too. How do you feel about him?

12. 101GangGreen101

He's going to need some really good coaching in my opinion. The Jets sorely lack that. He's def got the physical tools, I just worry about the mental aspect of his game. He's absolutely a first round pick though no doubt about it.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:rofl2: let your opening day QB play the 4th preseason game?
    did you just take up the sport?

Do you also advocate painting targets on his knees?

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

yet, it's all Nachos fault.

Interesting.

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Um, he's a system quarterback. Otherwise Colt Brennan, Case Keenum, Graham Harrell, Tim Tebow and a ton of other guys who put up huge numbers would be dominating the NFL.

He's got ability. But I don't trust taking guys from that system. At least not that high.

As for Garrard, I have no idea what to think because I have no idea what to expect. If he plays how he did before he missed the last two years, then he'd be a serviceable quarterback for very little money. But he hasn't played in two years, so it's hard to hate this seeing as he'd probably come very cheaply.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't see why so many are upset by this. We don't have the cap room right now to go after a big free agent and we have so many needs, we don't really have the picks to go after a QB this year. Not to mention, none really stand out in this upcoming draft.

Last I checked, Garrard was labeled as the starter in Miami until he got hurt. The guy looked solid and there was great feedback from everyone who watched him working out in Miami. I think it is a great fill in to get us some wins. We need to look for the QB in the following draft. IMO, Teddy Bridgewater should be our guy :)

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

If you knew anything about Geno, it would be his praise for being a student of the game and being a film room junky. He had Tavon Austin and a solid WR in Stedman Bailey... Thats really it. He didnt have explosive weapons all over the field. He had one explosive weapon and another good receiver. Tyler Bray had Patterson and Hunter, Barkley had Lee and Woods.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

He's played in 3 different systems in his college career. Im not sure which system he played in that you are worried about taking him from... He succeeded (and progressed) in all three and was allowed to make pre snap reads and go through progressions. He was also deadly accurate within 30 yards and has all the intangibles.

19. 101GangGreen101

I didn't see that in his NFLN interview. Just going by what I saw

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Which means us being at the very least a top two draft pick (assuming Clowney goes first). As bad as I think we can be, I dont see us drafting that high. This is just me, but I wouldnt pass on a possible franchise QB in order to have a shot at a better prospect.

Believe me, I would bomb next year for Bridgewater in a second, but its a lot more complicated than that.