Jets work out free agent QB David Garrard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Rider, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

In the early rounds of this draft? No.

2. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with Jets once they can work through cap issues, per source. "Both sides are feeling good about a possible deal," said source.

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    I'm told at this point #Jets not planning on taking a QB early in the draft. Want to roll with 2 FA QBs, Sanchez, McElroy and Simms..

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be a bad pickup at all. A lot better than Quinn

4. PJDA

PJDA New Member

No Upside

I don't understand the logic in picking up Garrard at all. It seems that you are just saying to the fan base "if it works out we can go 7-9 instead of 5-11". At least go after a Flynn or take a rookie where there is some chance that the stars align and you have an actual good NFL quarterback to build on. Not a certainty, likely not even 50/50, but at least there's a chance. If you were the old Ravens and could challenge for a Super Bowl with a mediocre but not terrible QB, then maybe you sign Garrard, but what does he do for this team?

5. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'm fine with bringing in Garrard and any other FA QB.

I have a problem with what some of you are posting about getting a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd. We can't just throw out a pick like that.. especially this year that there's some good talent in those rounds.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He would be a place holder to salvage a season if Sanchez does not play well. Why is this so hard to understand Sanchez is starting next year unless he completely collapses or gets hurt.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Just saw the Jets say they are looking for 2 FA QBs, to go to camp with Nacho, GMac, And Simms.

No trade, no draft.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The quarterback options in this draft suck, and Flynn costs too much and is very much unproven. He is not worth bringing in for that much money on the cap

It is a stop-gap situation until they find the right QB, maybe in 2014 when Sanchez, Holmes, possibly Revis comes off the books.

Look at the big picture.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Look, Idzik just came from Seattle, if he was intent on hauling some trash with him, we'd have heard about it by now.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Sanchez has already completely collapsed.
    Even if he won day 1 starter by way of a good camp, i would be beyond amazed if he started all 16 games.

Having a Plan B on this roster for 2013 is beyond necessary. Having a potential 2014 starting option on this roster (won't be Sanchez), is also very important.
    I like the Jets are doing their homework and working out a bunch of different options. I don't see Garrard fitting my criteria above though, unless he somehow looks healthy and spry again after having suffered all these injuries.

11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Sanchez - Garrard - Quinn - McElroy - Simms in TC. One of them would have to rise above the others, right?

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The cream rises to the top, but so do some turds.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

That is one frightening list, but I'm sure no matter what happens and who we get, Rex will most certainly say its the best roster he's ever coached.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Heard Palantonio and Lupica, I think saying they think Geno Smith would be great for the JETS to draft.

15. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Depends on who gets the most reps. Sanchez is your starting QB so he should get the most reps with the 1st team.

16. BacktoQueens

Who gives a shit if Rex praises his team during a presser. People take those pressers way too seriously.
    I don't think he'd go forth with the blatantly honest answer of, 'the QB play on this team will probably get me fired'. so take the pressers with a grain of salt.

I agree with Lupica regarding Geno Smith. He'd be a very good fit and a value at 9....i just don't think he'll be there.

17. BacktoQueens

Who said Sanchez is the starting QB? Idzik made it very clear its open competition. I think the reps will be split in the early stages of camp until someone plays better than the others.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Raiders may get Smith with the 3rd pick. I hope they do, Geno Smith is overrated. We need skill position players that can make plays on offense. Rather get Dion Jordan or Moore (DE / OLB) with that 9th pick - then follow up with a strong offense draft picks 2-6

19. PJDA

PJDA New Member

Flynn costs $8mm and is available because he's unproven, but I can see the argument for or against him.

I just think there is a reasonable chance that one of the rookies will surprise everybody and they might as well take a shot rather than wasting playing time on a Garrard. You play to try and win each game, but the increased certainty of a couple of marginal wins you might get with Garrard (for example, wins 6 and 7 on the season) are completely and utterly worthless. You might as well roll the dice and try for something that could conceivably provide more upside in 2013 and down the road.

I throw Flynn and potentially Quinn in the same boat as they haven't proven they are mediocre or worse and could still surprise, unlike Garrard and Sanchez.

20. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

Flynn will not be a Jet. hes too expensive. not this year anyway. we simply cant afford him if we are serious about rebuilding, due to all the money nacho is commanding