Report: Brady Quinn likely to end on Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by displacedfan, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I'll take him as low risk high reward if the jets don't get a QB in the draft.

I feel like DG is good enough in terms of adding a FA to the mix, but I'd rather the jets find a way to acquire a Maunel or otherwise and put them in the supposed final 5th slot.

This is a backup acquisition, pending a Revis trade or not in my eyes.

seems to not be an improvement though, he has about as much chance as Sanchez to make himself work in the WCO he played in college.

but whoever wins this should be put in another bout with a first round QB next year.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

like what, we know all we need to know

not to mention their offense has changed since he was there

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Am I missing something but why are people assuming that Sanchez would beat out Quinn?

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One of the number of problems I have with Quinn was the story that came out a few years ago in Cleveland, Where Quinn got caught giving the defense the offensive plays to make Anderson look bad. Mangini later acknowledged the story as true but downplayed Quinn's act. But then again after some of the things Mangini has done, like what he did to McCoy, he might just have been admiring Quinn's act.

I guess there certainly is the argument that Quinn has never been given a real chance to play and prove himself. The mere fact that Quinn has not proven he is terrible probably raises his ceiling far above that of Sanchez. But that would also apply to pretty much every QB that has not been given a chance to play. But there is likely a reason he has never been given that opportunity. I think we can do a lot better. If we are going to go that route I would rather see a guy like McElroy be given a chance to work with the 1st team, get practice reps and be given a chance to show what he can do than a guy like Quinn.

One of my favorite moments of watching NFL drafts was watching Quinn with his bad hair, bad suit and bad hair girlfriend sweat it out in the green room while he plummeted in the draft. I am not sure why I enjoyed that so much and maybe I feel a bit guilty about finding pleasure in him suffering but there is something about Quinn I have never liked.

5. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Love this move because it signals that the fix is on. We draft weapons on offense this year. We get the number one pick next year and get either Johnny Football or Teddy Bridgewater. Rex is Fired. Mark is cut. We get back on track.

I am really starting to like this new GM.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

so its March 1st and you're throwing the season away

SOJF

8. Mr. Green Pants

I'm always amazed by "fans" who think this way.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It worked for Indy didn't it...Perhaps a bit more subtle the results were the same. They put a lousy team on the field, got their franchise Qb. Amazing how that works. In the old days, they called it tanking. Now? its called "Planning". The Jets hopefully are doing the same thing to position themselves for 2014. Only the most Koolaid drinking diehard Homer would think that 2013 will be anything but a rebuilding year with all the bullshit that is sure to come.

#169 Cman68, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

You cant say they intentionally tanked their season.....it defies logic.

In theroy its a great idea and would benefit the organization and fan base in the long run......but what incentive did Caldwell or the GM Polian have to tank the season? So that the franchise that eventually fired them for the bad year can have a bright future? Makes no sense.....they even tried signing Kerry Collins (who ya isn't much but was prob best vet available once it was known Peyton was done for the year).

Tanking it is great for fans and the franchise long term......but the players will not have jobs if they suck.....same for the HC and GM.....so these guys won't be around to reap the benefits of a tanked season.

Sent from my LG-P999

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Quinn would likely beat out Mark Sanchez in TC. He's not great but I could see him taking the snaps for our Jets next fall and becoming our stopgap QB for a year or two.

12. Cman68

You have to figure that both guys knew that their run was pretty much over after Manning was allowed to walk. Big changes were in the wind in Indy and that those plans didn't include Caldwell or Polian probably wasn't that big a surprise to either of them. This discussion probably would be better in the NFL forum but the idea of putting a marginally competitive team on the field to secure the top pick isn't crazy at all.

As this is a semi new Leadership team in Jetland, Izdik has the incentive and the job security to pull this off. Most likely with Woody's blessing as well as the salary purge has already happened and they're in a wait and see mode with Revis.

Ryan is the one with the hot seat. If they bring in enough lousy talent to make Sanchez look good, then Ryan can say " I told you so" with a straight face. If the Jets are only marginally competitive in '13, Ryan has a built in excuse and most likely, will be given a mulligan. The Jets come out in '14 with a top 5 pick and with both Revis and Sanchez's contracts off the books for the most part, they will be in pretty good shape to finish the rebuild effort and be in the mix in '15.

Crazy you say? Like a fox!!

13. jacatro

jacatro New Member

Thought that was the plan for this year...what, we didn't do badly enough?

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

What if they come out of 13 with a bottom 5 pick? I mean, we can always trade up...

15. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

LOL not saying I believe this is the plan.....but it does make more sense in the Jets situation to me than Indy's a couple years ago.

Hey whatever it takes to get us that Franchise QB Im all for it. Any Jets fan that lived through the early - mid 90s has been through alot worse than what it would take to get a top pick in next years draft anyways.....hopefully wherever they draft they just make the right decision!

Sent from my LG-P999

16. Cman68

Or trade down and stockpile. Then again, they can do exactly that in this year's draft too. Thanks to the rookie cap, 1-5 isn't as expensive as it used to be and perhaps even more attractive to hold on to. With Tannenbaum gone, perhaps our DP's will be used as something more than bargaining chips. Either way, I think Izdik has a plan and we're seeing it right now. He may not be as forthcoming with it as most would like, but stepping back from the trees, one can begin to see the forest. :beer:

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets aren't going to be a disaster next year. No Rex Ryan team is ever going to be a disaster because his defense is always going to be decent and the defense sets the floor for the team.

If the Jets want a shot at a QB in the top 3 next year they better start acquiring other teams 2014 1sts now.

The Jets can't even chuck the works on offense and try to land the top pick. Not that they were trying but last year was about as much as you can do in that direction and they were 6-7 going into the stretch run.

18. Cman68

Right plan, wrong year to do it..

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Off with Tone's contract as well. That's good 30M off the book. (I just pray Jets don't extend that bitch OR guarantee sizable chunk of next year's salary. I want this bitch gone. Once and for all.)

2. Jets only have Revis to deal - so they would have to real good job of turning that into at least 3+ top 100 picks.

3. Jets won't be able to compete this season - that much is a given. I want to use 'next' season as a rebuilding season too. That would make it two. After that, Jets will have another draft, then they would be good to go, provided a. they can scout (They were known to have good scouting department, last time I checked.) b. they can coach their players. By 2015, with the cap mess behind, and 3 drafts, Jets should be ready for some serious run.

4. Hopefully, by then the gay bitch up north calls it quits after losing SB yet again.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Their offense hasn't changed since Charlie Wriss was there except for the one year Moss lit it up