QB's in the Draft, Best fit for the Jets. (POST COMBINE)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Colintes, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which QB should the Jets draft?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2013.
  1. Round 1 (9): Geno Smith

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Round 2: Matt Barkley

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Round 2-3: EJ Manuel

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Round 2-3: Tyler Bray

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Round 2-4: Ryan Nassib

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. Round 2-4: Mike Glennon

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Round 3-5: Matt Scott

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Round 3-5: Zac Dysert

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Others

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Don't draft a QB.

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. laxin

laxin Active Member

So what does Landry count as? Grade A- safety?

Personally, I dont think I could handle another 2 years of Sanchez... Hell, I dont think I can handle 1 more. I dont care about his contract, what I care about is who deserves the job. Sanchez deserves to be in the Arena league, not the starting QB of the NYJ.

Also, keep in mind with the "we can wait until next year to draft a much better QB prospect" thought process, that in order to get a prospect significantly better than anyone in this class, you'll probably have to be picking in the top 2 (or 3 assuming Manziel comes out). Sadly, I dont think we are that "lucky" to land a draft pick that can actually get Bridgewater or Manziel. I definitely think top 10 is possible, but Im not so sure about top 3. If they believe a guy like Geno Smith or Mike Glennon or Nassib can be a franchise QB (although maybe not as good as Bridgewater), do you pass that up just to have a chance next year? There's no guarantees we are in a position to draft a great QB next year.

Also, do you really think Ryan is going to be here after 3 seasons in a row of less than 7 wins as you are saying (2012,13,14)? I highly doubt it. He would be extremely lucky if he got extended if this upcoming season is similar to last.

One more thing- how is the offense being restocked for out new, young QB if we are spending our premium picks on a grade A safety and a pass rusher? I mean sure, we could hit on some mid to late round prospects, but I wouldnt count on our offense being "restocked" without some premium picks spent on it...

2. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

ok its starting to bother me how literally everyone thinks every god damn quarterback is a piece of shit and will be out of the league in 2 years. we were just so spoiled last year with andrew luck, rg3, and russell wilson. plenty of great QBs weren't taken first overall and weren't considered can't miss prospects (ben roethlisberger, matt ryan, aaron rodgers, andy dalton, joe flacco, colin kaepernick, drew brees, tony romo, matt schaub, russell wilson)

like jesus, it's become extremely apparent that everyone here is terrified of risk, but thats the only way you're going to get better. the only reason everyone loves renfree is because he won't go high so if we draft him there is no risk. its also why everyone wants chance warmack, he's as sure of a prospect as there is. this team needs PLAYMAKERS. they are boring as fuck to watch

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the lone wolf on Colby Cameron. On another forum, a poster did a detailed analysis on the QBs in this draft looking a per attempt stats (e.g., Comp%, Attempts/TD and Attempts/INT) against good defenses. This way, players who play in pass happy offenses wouldn’t have an unfair advantage and to weed out the guys that padded their stats against the bad teams but struggled against the top defenses (e.g., Matt Barkley). Using those guidelines Cameron was the best QB prospect behind Geno Smith.

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

What round do you guys see Tyler Bray bring picked?

5. -ChrisL-

-ChrisL- New Member

none of them do, we need a veteran QB, cant have a rookie leading this team again, sanchez still plays like a rookie.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Only top picks during this draft will go to the defense. Probably 3 out of 5. That should be enough too, provided Jets hold on to Landry. (I'd look to replace Harris too, but Jets should address that position once it is clear they have a need there. As of now, I don't think that has happened yet. If the picks pan out, Jets will have a ferocious, young defense for a good decade. Ah - they will have to replace CBs soon but that can be addressed in three years, once Cro hits 30)

2. Jets will be able to pick up 10 offensive players other than QB between this draft and next draft. Out of the top picks, probably 1 this year, but all four next year. That should count in some way, no? On top of that, if Nacho leaves after two years, the newly minted QB will have: one full season of learning period, AND two drafts full of offensive weapons, AND protections. Pretty good situation to be in, right?

3. I know we are all fed up with Nacho, but you know what's worse? Nacho Redux. You do not want another rookie QB starting for the team again.

4. I do not see anyone good coming out this year. I see a few good ones next year however.

5. This is with the assumption that Jets don't trade anything or anyone away. If Jets do trade Revis for more picks, and Jets do trade down for more picks, Maybe Nacho can get the hell out of here at the end of next year. I don't know who would be the QB but at least whoever becomes available won't be thrown into the fire like Nacho was.

6. With pass rush coming in and strong safety plays, Jets defense alone will be good enough for 8+ wins.

#26 Zach, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. Colintes

Colintes New Member

My issue with waiting till 2014 to draft a QB is stated pretty well here. We only won 6 games last year, with a few serious injuries to key players and with practice squad wide outs. I do think, while we are not a playoff level team we will win an extra game or two next whoever is at QB, our D is going to remain strong.

If we take the wait till '14 approach but are drafting in the 10-15 slot next year the top 3 QBs in that draft class are probably gone. Is Geno Smith really worse than next years #4 guy? What are we gonna have to give up to trade up in '14? If we see someone we think who can be an improvement at the QB in this draft, and we're not reaching too high to grab them, why not use a pick this year and see what we've got?

I know we have a lot of holes on this team, but QB is the most important position in the NFL. I feel we need to address our offense ASAP. If we can find someone we think will eventually be a decent QB this year, do it. If we want to stick with Sanchez this year, i think we need to resign Keller, get more weapons and beef up the O'Line.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a completely rational point of view. Waiting for next year only gets you to next year.

The Jets may decide they don't like the QB's in this draft but if they like one or more of them they probably should take them if the opportunity arises. The real tragedy in the Sanchez bust-out was that whoever they take next is probably 50/50 also. There's a reason a bunch of teams have never won a Super Bowl and that it takes decades for even the successful teams to get back after their window closes.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if geno smith is there at 9 you take him with no hesitation.

10. NFL

NFL Active Member

Your right, if this team won 6 games with key injuries, practice squad WRs and very little run game, then next year with better receivers and a better RB, and an actual OC this team should win a match or two more. Of course it also depends on schedule

I really like Geno Smith. I think that if he was to drop to #9, the Jets would be fools not to take him. Nothing next year is guaranteed, and that's including a top pick.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah exactly. Thats my point of view. Like I said, I think we will be around the same place next year, possible even better with MM and an increase in talent on the offense, but I dont see us being in the running for a QB like Bridgewater or even Manziel. After them, there are good QB's, but nothing really worth waiting a year.

A major trend in the NFL right now is that teams need QB's. We are a prime example. Look at KC- they just traded the 34th pick + a conditional 2nd next year for an average QB who was beat out by a 2nd year player (albeit, star). Kevin Kolb who played like 3 games of football was traded for a 2nd round pick and a solid CB. Matt Flynn who played TWO games in his career was given something like 9 mil a year. Carson Palmer netted the Bengals a 1st round draft pick plus more.

Bottom line is, teams are desperate for QB's. The point Im getting at is, say we draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round- for instance EJ Manuel. If he doesnt start next year but shows some signs in a brief game here or there or in the preseason, we could be in a very solid situation. Basically, as long as he doesnt look horrible, then we are good.

Either we have our future QB on our hands like the 49ers did, or maybe next year we are in position to draft Teddy Bridgewater and the value is too good to pass up. We can draft Bridgewater, and potentially trade EJ Manuel for a 2nd round pick. Its a win win basically. Look at Kirk Cousins- he did well in 2 games and people here were willing to give up a 2nd round draft pick for him. Nick Foles, a 3rd round draft pick did okay for a few games, and people here were willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Teams are going to start stockpiling QBs because they are a hot commodity. As long as they dont shit the bed, they will serve their draft position through being a future QB or through a trade.

EJ Manuel should be a guy we look at though. Probably the highest upside in the class.

Recommended article here on him-

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/27/the-kaepernick-project-fsu-qb-e-j-manuel/

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I don't like this year's QB crop at all. Especially after watching both Smith and Barkley fantastically fuck up the interview, I am more inclined to "Let's wait another year, and see who's there."

2. That said, if there is a value (say, Barkley does drop all the way down to 6th round or so), then I wouldn't mind it. I would be against burning top three/four picks for a QB that won't even be starting next season. That is all there is to it.

3. Regardless of whether Sanchez is the future plan for this franchise or not, Jets do need to bolster the OL and get better talent at the skill position too. At the same time, with both starting OLBs gone, Jets must address the pass rush situation. This was neglected for the past four years and Jets shouldn't wait another year. Same with FS situation. (Fuck you, T-Bomb. Thank you for the roster and cap situation.)

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Honestly, I like Renfree as much as pretty much any QB in the draft. Geno really disappointed me down the stretch this year. If you asked me in October if I'd take him at 9, I'm in. Now? Really don't want to...

14. PJDA

PJDA New Member

I'd grab Smith if he was there with the 9. Not a sure thing, but I do remember him going 45/51 for 656 yards, 8 TDs and no ints against Baylor. Granted, it was Baylor, but the accuracy was incredible. He was putting 30-40 yard passes right on target all day long. I remember saying at the time that Sanchez wouldn't be able to go 45/51 if there was no defense on the field.

Barring Smith, I'd wait and see who fell in round 4 - I bet one of Wilson, Glennon, Bray of Jones will be there.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

A game does not make the season. Nor does it a career.

Nacho had his share of playoff success, if at all. I'd think that counts 1000x more than whatever impressive outing Smith had so far. Does that mean Nacho is a good QB? Hell no.

16. PJDA

PJDA New Member

Clearly, not a sure thing, however...

1 - Based on that game and the 2 other WVU games I saw last year, Smith was able to put the ball where he needed to with a degree of accuracy that I have never seen from Sanchez (for a whole game, obviously Sanchez can make an accurate throw here or there). So, while not something that he will 100% reproduce as an NFL quarterback, it is an attribute that I am 100% sure Sanchez has never and will never produce as an NFL quarterback.

2 - The times that he did throw picks were instances where he gave his receiver a chance to go up and make a play and it didn't work out. Sanchez never does this, always opting to (in the words of Simms) "put the ball where only his receiver can make a play", missing by 2-3 yards and then coming back on the next play and firing a 7 yard slant pass with all his might behind his receiver for a tipped interception (or just airmailing a ball over the middle into the arms of the safety).

I still think if Jarvis Jones was there I'd take him first, but I'd be OK with Smith as I would feel that there would be a probability of improved play at the QB position and the possibility that the Jets could wind up with a top 5-10 NFL passer.

17. a1032bc

a1032bc New Member

The poll is missing one QB - if Tyler Wilson Arkansas is there at top of 2nd round...you have to consider him,

Yes we have a lot of needs - but until you get the QB position figured out, in today's NFL you are in trouble.

18. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I would not be opposed to drafting Dysert in the 4th, if he is there.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The Jets will not be drafting a QB.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

No need to with ya boy Sancho, right?