Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Hobbes,

I really don't get the hate for Revis he has been great for the Jets. If we can afford him at a reasonable cost the Jets will be better than without him.

The thing about draft picks is they are just that we have no idea how the players will turn out. Would you trade Revis for Dwayne Robertson or Gholstan?

Tying up a big percentage of your cap on one player no matter what position seems to kill a team. With the new rookie cap the rookies will play a bigger part in the successful teams because teams can't afford multiple super stars on the team.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The guy has held out every other year.

He overestimates his value relative to the position he plays.

If we don't dump him now, he walks next year, we get nothing, and we risk a malcontent during the season.

And what if that pick turns into Revis,Brady,there'll Davis, Jerry rice and so on.

For the second pick in the second round, I'd let someone else have the headache. It's not hate, it's accepting the reality that he isn't worth the 16 mil he's seeking.

And a young player, plus the cap space to keep Landry, is worth more than one year of Revis at 6 mil with no reward on the backed.

#222 Hobbes3259, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Thank God the Jets did not give up anything for Alex Smith. He is Sanchez lite and has been coached up the past two years. KC will be back in the QB market in 2-3 years.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Revis is under contract for 2013 coming off an ACL tear. If he has any chance of making 16mil (which he does not) he has to play well this season.

He caps numbers don't help us if he is traded this year from what I understand. There is not a team in this league that will pay Revis 16 mil so the Jets and Revis need to decide what he will take. He won't hold out becasue the way his contract is structured.

5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I will be the happiest fan on earth if the 49ers can take a boatload of picks and grab Revis away from the Jets.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If we grab several skill offensive players (OL, WR, RB), a pass-rusher (Moore, or Jordan), resign Landry and get another player via FA - you won't be saying that. Under the WCO, we would be a better offensive team with a strong defensive line and finally a pass-rusher.

Plus we still have Cromartie. The secondary played well w/out Revis.

I would be happy to get Dion Jordan (or Moore), Gio Bernard, a WR, and a TE. We are good to go, once we get the QB in the 2014 draft

7. Bills over Jets

You are assuming a lot. You are assuming that every player you draft or sign will be a good player who contributes right away. Do you really expect that you draft an OL, WR, RB, OLB, and none of them are busts? That all of them are good players? Which all start from day 1? And contribute this year?

Given the Jets recent drafts, I'll take my chances of getting the Jets best player, and arguably the best defensive player in the league, off your team and out of the division in exchange for 3 lottery tickets.

8. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with that statement. Alex Smith hasn't done anything in the league until Jim Harbaugh got to San Fran!

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm not assuming anything, if we trade him, we'll get a first rounder in return or an early 2nd at worst, and we won't have to tie the cap up to one player going forward. That is going to get us more skill players.

If coached properly and put in a situation to succeed, then they should thrive. I'll take my chances, and if I'm right we'll be sweeping the Bills again, if I'm wrong then you can tell me.

I think we've drafted pretty decently as of late. If we get the right skill players that have proven to be productive in college, I think we'll be good to go. Revis isn't the best defensive player in the league, as a premier pass-rusher is always more valuable to a defense.

Some drafts for some teams are straight money from the first pick to the last. Look at the Cowboys draft with Jimmy Johnson was around, he was cashing on every pick. We can produce a good defense without Revis. It's time to get the offense going. It will take prob 2 years, but like I mentioned, it would go a long way.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Can't believe Niners got a high 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. What the heck is Andy Reid thinking?? If the Jets gave up their 2nd rounder for Alex Smith, I'd be so pissed right now. There's gotta be an ocean of tears being shed over @ saveourchiefs

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

2nd pick of the 2nd round for Alex fucking Smith. This blows my mind.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup?........

13. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Makes me wonder..

With Alex Smith moving to K.C for two 2nd round picks from the #1 spot in the draft could the Niners be setting up to offer us a deal for Revis ? ...

Maybe
    Niners get: Revis
    Jets get: Niners 1st round,2nd round(from KC) ?

What could be some scenarios to this whole revis trade...

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Two 2nd rounders? You mean Chiefs offered a high second rounder & Harbaugh had the balls to look at them & say that's not enough for Alex Smith?

Everybody in the Niners division must be so pissed @ the Chiefs right now.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I picked up Chinese food for supper and it had a fortune cookie that said,"For you no Alex Smithy, you stuck with QB that is shitty."

I was shocked and then it came true.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I could support this scenario.

17. Bills over Jets

The deal was for the 2nd rounder this year and a conditional mid-round pick next year.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This tells us that Andy Reid's highest priority right now is to stabilize the Chiefs and stop the bleeding. The Chiefs have lost 12 or more games 4 times in the last 6 seasons. Getting a veteran QB gives him the best chance not to repeat that unfortunate circumstance next season.

He could still trade the 1 down and take Geno Smith lower in the 1st and sit him for 3 years the way the Packers did with Rodgers.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You know there is this thing called Salary Cap. It's about $126M or so this year.

Real good QBs command about 10% of the figure. (Some more, some less.)
    So what is the reasonable price for a stud CB? By average, starters can take 5M/yr at MAXIMUM. This means, if someone commands 10M salary figure, their play had better justify that. Good QBs certainly justify that - they make the entire offense better. Can Revis justify 10M? How? There isn't even that many 10M WRs in AFC East. 16M? He is nuts.

For the record, I don't [hate] Revis. I don't. I would like to see him stay with the Jets. AT A REASONABLE PRICE. If he keeps being the money whore, I would have no qualms about seeing him offloaded.

You don't know it will be Dslob or Ghost all the way either, no? *That logic is flawed as well.*

Jets are crippled because of this. (Some idiot - RevChez or something) didn't think that was the case. (If good 80M out of 120+M salary cap is tied to 8 players, what does that say about the rest of the team anyway? Street FAs?)

#239 Zach, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Take a look at chiefsplanet dot com. Lots of butthurt over there.