QB's in the Draft, Best fit for the Jets. (POST COMBINE)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Colintes, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which QB should the Jets draft?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2013.
  1. Round 1 (9): Geno Smith

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Round 2: Matt Barkley

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Round 2-3: EJ Manuel

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Round 2-3: Tyler Bray

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Round 2-4: Ryan Nassib

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. Round 2-4: Mike Glennon

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Round 3-5: Matt Scott

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Round 3-5: Zac Dysert

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Others

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Don't draft a QB.

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Colintes

Colintes New Member

I want to start a conversation, might exist but I couldn't really find it searching the forums, on which QB's you guys would most like us to draft this year and where we could realistically get them. Obviously there are a lot of teams out there with a QB need, and this is one of the weaker QB classes in years. Seeing as it doesn't look like we have many options left when it comes to free agents to bring in to challenge Sanchez, we might have to find someone in the draft.

Would you take Geno Smith at 9 overall if he is still available?

Do you want to target one in the 2nd round? Barkley, Manuel, Glennon, Bray, Nassib?

Do you hope one of the players mentioned above falls to the 3rd round and we snag him up?

Would you prefer we spend a later pick on a project QB? Matt Scott, Collin Klein type?

Try and be realistic and consider that a lot of other teams have a need at QB, are looking at this thread bare group. Who do you want? And where do you want them?

2. Colintes

Colintes New Member

Personally I don't really want to waste the first or second pick on a QB unless the coaching staff are really happy with them. Geno is tempting at one, but i'd much rather go with EJ Manuel if he was still there in the third. Sadly I think seeing as he did well in the combine he might not even be there anymore at our 2nd pick.

I say it might be best to see who is left in the third round and try and snag em, see what they are worth. Hell we wasted a 4th rounder on Tebow, anyone available in the 3rd is going to be a better passer than him.

* For the round I did some approximating 3 of these QB's could go in the first, or none could. I tried to guess as best I could from different mocks i have seen.

#2 Colintes, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This draft is so deep at positions of need... don't want the JEts to waste a precious pick on a crappy QB class. Only if we trade down in the first I'd be ok with G. Smith.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

IMO, you left off the player that might be the best fit....Sean Renfree.

I think the Jets will look to sign (FA) or trade for a vet QB (maybe Moore or Flynn), and draft a player like Renfree in the mid round area.

The Jets have a lot of needs and getting a rush OLB, WR, OL and Safety should be major targets with our top picks.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sean Renfree is not getting drafted in the mid-rounds. He might get drafted late or he might be a UDFA. He didn't look like an NFL prospect the first two years that he started for the Blue Devils and he got hurt at the end of his senior year, blunting any momentum he might have had at that point.

I'm not saying he's not worth a shot late instead of taking our chances in the scramble after the draft but he's not worth a mid-rounds pick.

As to the OP question, I'd take any name on that list in the 6th round. If the Jets really thought they had a fit with Geno Smith I'd be amenable to trading back in the 1st and tagging him. I'd be iffy about Barkley in the 2nd but if he was there and the Jets thought he was real it'd be a reasonable pick.

#5 Br4d, Feb 26, 2013
  6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That's you opinion, I think you're wrong.

There a lot of scouts very high on Renfree. He's been productive and is a smart QB. He's a manager of the game and doesn't make stupid mistakes

I consider Mid -Rounds (4-5) and I could definitely see a team drafting him in that area.

Any QB that was under the direction of David Cutcliffe is fine with me. Cutliff has mentioned that he thinks Renfree can develop into a NFL starting QB.

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Ranges are pretty big. When I would start to seriously consider each QB.

Geno: 1st round.
    Barkley: 3rd round.
    Bray: 3rd round.
    EJ Manuel: 3rd Round.
    Glenon: 4th round.
    Scott: 4th round.
    Nassib: 5th round.
    Dysert: 5th round.
    Landry Jones: 5th Round.

Jets need a QB desperately but I think they need to limit how far they reach. First two rounds should provide this team solid starters. Let's wait till 3rd round before entering the QB lotto & hoping to get lucky.

I'm liking Renfree also & would use a 6th or 7th to guarantee he comes to Jets training camp. That way another team can't woo him away as UFA.

#7 ajax, Feb 26, 2013
  8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think you're undervaluing some of theses QBs. While a player like Nassib may not desrve a higher grade, the need for Qbs always inflates their value.

Nassib, is going to be a 2nd Rd Qb, I don't think he's worth a 2nd Rd pick, but that's the way it is.

9. Br4d

Fair enough.

Here are the QB's I see going above Renfree at this point.

1st - Geno Smith
    1st/2nd - Matt Barkley
    *1st/4th - Ryan Nassib
    2nd/4th - Tyler Bray
    2nd/6th - Landry Jones
    2nd/6th - Mike Glennon
    2nd/6th - Tyler Wilson
    3rd/6th - E.J. Manuel
    4th/7th - Zac Dysert
    4th/7th - Colby Cameron
    5th/7th - Matt Scott

* would require a classic Bills pick on the 8 of exactly the player they wanted with no real regard for the value of the pick.

That's 11 guys likely to be drafted before Renfree. If Renfree was healthy and had a chance to raise his stock in pre-draft evaluations he might have been above the bottom 3 on that list but he might also be right where he is.

I just don't see him getting taken before the 6th round given all the circumstances involved and the number of prospects that have a nominal ranking higher than that. You even have guys like Brad Sorenson that might go above him to a team with blinders on.

#9 Br4d, Feb 26, 2013
  10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

^

Duke isn't exactly a hotbed of NFL talent. What David Cutcliffe has accomplished is amazing, bringing Duke to a Bowl Game. Cutliffe is very well respected in the NFL & College Football. You ask the Mannings, beside their Dad, who is the person most responsible for their development....it's Cutcillfe.

It teams are going to over value players like Nassib, Glennon, Bray etc......some team is going to see the potential in Renfree and the draft him from a recommendation from DC.

11. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am very high on Renfree, and believe he is the best passer in the draft this year. I went with Nassib as he is a smart QB that will strive in the WCO, IMO.

12. Colintes

Colintes New Member

A lot of teams are gonna reach on these guys because a lot of teams are desperate. I know our team has a lot of holes, but QB is a big one and as it has been mentioned before in other threads we don't have a guarantee at getting a Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel next year.

The thought of Sanchez, Moore and McElroy battling it out this summer isn't anything i want to watch. (This coming from a guy who was excited by the Pennington Clemens battle). I think we need to take a chance and draft someone. At worst one ofthese guys could turn into a reliable clipboard holder for someone better next year...

13. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Colby Cameron in the 5th round would be a good pick if available. Barkley would be a great pickup in the second if available but I highly doubt it with arizona, jax, kc, and buf picking twice ahead of your second rounder. Geno is a good QB and nothing is guaranteed next year, so if for some inexplicable reason buffalo doesn't take him you have to at 9 IMO.

14. Br4d

Geno Smith is interesting but he has a few things going against him also. He doesn't have a really strong arm and in the northeast in December you need that arm. He also isn't proto-typical size for a pocket passer in the NFL these days. He measured 6'2" and 218 lbs at the combine which makes him smaller than Mark Sanchez.

I think the Jets pass on him unless they're certain he's the guy.

15. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

bit of stretch to say Geno is smaller than Sanchez.
    He measured a fraction taller, and few pounds less. Essentially, the same size.
    While I'd prefer 6'4", Geno is the same height (if not a fraction taller) as Favre, Rodgers, Stafford, RGIII, etc.. I don't think height is an issue.

Arm strength is average, like Sanchez. That is a concern in the northeast as you mentioned.
    Footwork also definitely needs improvement, which can be coached tho.
    What are the other knocks on him outside of arm strength or footwork?

What i do like is his accuracy, and certainly his athleticism and speed for a pocket passer. Could be a guy who moves the chains well in the WCO.
    I also like they he is a constant critic of himself, and immerses himself in film and gym work. that shows character, preperation and leadership to me.

Considering a 1st round pick doesn't have the heavy cap cost anymore, and QB is the most important piece of the puzzle, i'm really warming up to the idea of taking the risk on him there (although i think he'll be gone).

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Just say no. For crying out loud. Get one next year. After two years of sucktitude, Jets should be ready to fly. You know the defense is coming out strong, especially if Ryan can somehow get his hands on good pass rusher prospects and grade A safety (which he never had during his entire career with the Jets.) After two more of Nacho's atrocities, the offense should be stocked (1), the newly drafted QB would have some experience (2) and the defense would be real good. (3) Especially if there is no known slam-dunk prospect for QB, it's better to stay away from them at earlier part of the draft. (4)

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Matt Barkley or Geno Smith in the 1st

or

Ryan Griffin in the mid to late rounds for me

19. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Yeah I think Griffin could be a value. I was at the Texas vs the Nation game and he was light years better than everyone else there. His stats were bad at Tulane but you could see at that game that the kid had some talent. i think it could take a couple years for him though, since he really hasn't been in a successful system, so going somewhere that fans will be calling for him to get a shot right away might not be the best fit.

20. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

EJ Manuel would be a perfect pick for us in the 2nd or 3rd...