QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Uh no you get the first down and run the clock out. An extra set of downs and the Patriots use all of their TOs. That's huge. You guys had timeouts as well as the 2 min warning. Big difference

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Just reported from the 49ers that they reached a trade agreement for Smith. They cant discuss intil March tradeing starts. Lots of speculazation he goes to KC but the Jets may be involed.

Just reported on siris xm.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I heard KC or Jags on twitter... I'm guessing it's the Chiefs. It would be a solid option for them. Have Smith for a couple of years while developing his heir. His arm limitations shouldn't be a problem in the warm weather of KC. Also with Joeckel as the #1 pick (I'll bet anything you want) and maybe another solid lineman somewhere in the draft he'll be well protected.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

QB - needy teams:

Chiefs - Cassel -> A. Smith (speculation but everyone seems to agree)
    Vikings - Ponder -> starts at least another year
    Buccaneers - Freeman -> starts for another year

Browns - Weeden
    Cardinals - Kolb

Bills - Fitzpatrick / T. Jackson
    Jets - Sanchez
    Jaguars - Gabbert / Henne

Browns & Cardinals are looking for a vertical game type of guy... so really the battle is between the Jets, Jaguars and Bills to get a WCO type of guy.

The more I look at this, the more I think Matt Flynn will be a Jet.

#504 Mambo9, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't want Smith.

6. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

I think its gotta be KC. Wonder what they will give up.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1st pick in the 4th rd? Or maybe in the 5th plus a conditional in 2014...

#507 Mambo9, Feb 24, 2013
  8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

According to: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/matt-flynn/

Flynn makes 5.25M this season & 6.25M in 2014. However, they're listing his cap hit as 7+ Million for both years. So confused by this. If acquired by Jets, is his cap hit this year 5.25M or 7+ Million? His contract isn't as long as I thought. Whoever acquires him is only stuck with him for two seasons. This season is not looking strong for QB in FA & Draft.

=========

If he fits into the cap, I think it could work out.
    1) Gives Sanchez another shot with new OC. If he turns it around then Flynn can be dumped after only one more season.
    2) If Flynn wins the job, he can "hold down the fort". Jets aren't forced to FA or draft QB in what looks like a weak year for acquiring QB.

If Sanchez isn't with the team next year, Flynn is contracted for only one more season. Jets can still sit down a rookie QB behind him to develop.

However, I've got serious doubts that Jets will be able to afford Flynn with all the Revis drama & Landry walking out they're already forced to load up their roster with cheap players this season.

#508 ajax, Feb 24, 2013
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i hope you are wrong

10. 101GangGreen101

Matt Flynn is severely overrated on this board. First of all, he makes too much money, secondly he lost in a TC battle to Russel Wilson. Rather take a 4th rounder and use it to get Foles. Better prospect, younger, and you can argue he has more upside.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Looking at his contract on overthecap.com (http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Matt Flynn&Position=QB&Team=Seahawks) I think we wouldn't have to fit the prorated bonus in our cap so it would only be 5.25 mill for us and 4 mill in dead money for the Seahwaks.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) Eagles will NEVER accept a 4th rd pick for Foles. Hell, they picked him in rd 3!

2) He lost in a TC battle with one hell of a player.

3) 5 million is not too much money. Tarvaris Jackson signed for 4 million, Matt Moore is rumored to be in the 5 mill range... QBs are expensive, get over it.

4) I don't think anyone is in love with Flynn... we're just debating the options of available QBs. And if you're an "available QB" automatically it means you're not THAT good.

13. FJF

but why use 5.5 mil of cap space and a draft pick for a hold the fort guy?
    too many resources wasted. if he was the guy to carry us deep in the play offs fine, but if he was that guy he would have started for seattle.if we are going to "hold the fort" at qb this year, better to just take our cap medicine with sanchez gmac and a vet min guy than trade for flynn

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Dude, 5 mill is the price for a hold the fort guy! Sanchez and McElroy can't even "hold the fort"! It's not like being a serviceable QB is the worst you can do... you can do much much worse (see Sanchez this year)!

15. 101GangGreen101

1. Escalate it to a 3rd rounder, nothing higher. He is already familiar with MM's system. He's cheaper also. We are looking to draft a QB in this draft, compare Foles to the rest of the QBs in this draft. I think he's a better prospect
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/21/4015896/nick-foles-trade-rumors-eagles-chiefs

2. We're what? 7 Million under the cap? So we are going to sign a QB for 5 million? We have so many needs, tying the cap to a player that might not even win the starting gig isn't a good idea IMO. We do not have this luxury. Jason Campbell was had for 3.5 million last year.

3. Matt Flynn is ok, I just think he's overrated, by that Patriots game where the Pats had the worst secondary ever.

16. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Seen a few sources say it's not Jacksonville. Probably KC, they did say they wanted him earlier.

17. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Pick needs to be spent on QB. You can either spend one pick this season on a weak QB class. Or you can spend one pick next season on a better QB class. Either way a pick is spent.

"Hold the fort" guy is needed in case Sanchez repeats last season's performance. It goes beyond the win-loss record. How is Hill or any of the other offensive players picked in this draft gonna develop if QB play from last season repeats itself? Even if you look past the rookies, how do the returning skill players fully adjust to the new offensive scheme without a QB?

Sanchez, Holmes, Flynn would be on the team for only one season. Next season two of those contract are gone. If Sanchez turns it around, then Flynn could be traded again for a pick & no draft pick on QB is needed. If Sanchez fails, then he & Holmes are gone. You then have one year of Flynn guaranteed while you draft/trade for your future QB.

=======
    I'm not locked onto Flynn. If there's a QB out there that'll take 3M like Jason Campbell, I'd welcome him aboard also.

#517 ajax, Feb 24, 2013
  18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Idk if Matt Flynn is good or not but losing a battle to Russell Wilson shouldn't be a knock on him

19. FJF

yes a pick needs to be spent, but at 5.5 mil you can maximize the cap space,
    basically you could theoretically have:
    laron landry and a rookie qb taken with the 9(geno smith)
    laron landry and olb(dion jordan) taken with the 9 and 2nd rd rookie qb
    or matt flynn
    if they are going to use 5.5 mil of cap space on 1 player what would you rather have, especially going in with the mindset that flynn is a 2 year deal?
    no way anyone signs up for matt flynn

20. FJF

apparently 16mil is the going price for a h.o.f. cb but it still doesn't make sense to pay it

plus trade away a draft pick

#520 FJF, Feb 24, 2013