QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Hill doesn't need to catch that pass if Sanchez throws anything close to an NFL throw on 2nd and 8 from the NE 36. I hate when people think that plays that happen toward the ends of a game have more of an impact on the final score than missed opportunities earlier on. We just remember them more and they seem more important so those guys get scapegoated.

#481 BeastBeach, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dude that throw was to a wide-open Stephen Hill, it hit him right in the chest. Catch the call, take a knee close the game.

Not every throw is perfect in the NFL, you as a WR are instructed to make plays on the ball if it's in your vicinity. No one was around Hill at all, he was WIDE open. You catch that freaking ball. No excuses, I don't want to blame it on the rook as he's going to be a good WR one day, but that was a bad drop.

The game was over once he dropped that pass, the momentum completely shifted. There is no scapegoat, as I posted earlier, everyone was at fault for losing that game, it's a team game. Sanchez TO, Defense letting Brady drive down the field, dropping a pass you catch 99 out of 100 times in your backyard.

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I never said he shouldn't have caught it. You can say that everyone is at fault but your post seemed like it was trying to bail out Sanchez because of that one pass he hit at the end. If that wasn't your intention, my bad. But it irks me for people to give credit to a QB who sucked for most of a game and then happened to have a WR drop a pass at the end and then try to act like that one error was worse than the multitude of plays Sanchez screwed up.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

The game was truly over when Sanchez tried to make a play on second or third down (IN OVERTIME!!!) and ended up fumbling the ball.

Seriously....?

5. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Except the scenario you laid out isn't the truth. The entire offense blundered throughout the season. Many of the resident fans here have decided to scapegoat Sanchez since he's the most prominent fuck up in our offense, while being totally blind to the fact that he overwhelmingly was not alone in his suckitude.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

7. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

a lot of proven scrubs on that list

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Sure. But the QB is by far the biggest piece on the offense so they always deserve more credit/blame. Especially when they make drive-ending and game-ending turnovers on a consistent basis. You pick a guy at 5 and pay him big money to mitigate some of the weaker spots on the offense. Not to exacerbate problems

9. xxedge72x

Sure. But how many teams successfully "fire and forget" when trading up for a qb that high? All successful teams build around that franchise player. The Jets got their guy then proceeded to overwhelmingly focus on defense while applying some bandaids to the offense.

Sanchez saw some moderate success with the Edwards / Holmes combo and then the brass broke that up to pinch pennys on offense, and Sanchez never recovered. Then LT left and he actually declined statistically.

The narrow minded focus exclusively on Sanchez has almost reached cult status here. I even saw a suggestion that if we had someone like Jamarcus Russell here then we could have won. Many people thought if we got Peyton Manning, then the Jets would've been so amazing people would forget about what the Patriots have done these past 10 years.

I call that sheer willful blind ignorance, bordering on cult devotion hatred for Sanchez the football player as well as human being. It's extreme and ignorant of the MANY problems the Jets have.

The Sanchez hate is like a coping mechanism to help people pretend that the Jets don't suck as bad as they do. There's a reason why Greg "Jesus" McElroy fell flat on his face when given a real shot.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And the two OCS, and the rash of I urges to skill position players this year

I still maintain Schotty should have been gone before Mark got off the stage after being picked.

11. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I agree whole-heartedly in that in the haters' rush to blame Sanchez, the flaws of the rest of the team are overlooked and I also agree that he wasn't surrounded with enough talent.

On the other hand his fanboys(the 2 or 3 left here) pretend they are the only ones considering the circumstances. As if you can't consider circumstances and STILL realize that the kid has always been a pretty bad QB and way overhyped coming out of college.

12. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Take a knee and close the game? I don't think you guys realize when that drop happened. We were down 3 on the NE 25 with over 2 minutes left in the game. How would catching that pass have ended the game?

What could have ended the game was the next possession after NE fumbled the kickoff. The game was tied and we had the ball on the NE 18 with 2:01 left in the game. All we needed was 1 first down and we could have ran clock and kicked a FG with no time left. What do we do? We run Tebow up the gut for 2 yards on first down, then another run with McKnight for 1 yard and 2nd down, and then Sanchez can't convert a 3rd and 7.

13. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

lol people here are still defending Sanchez... makes me embarrassed to be a poster here

14. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

...except you develop him and provide him a cast like a practice squad QB. Sounds like a great winning strategy. Oh and if it doesn't work, just blame the QB who has only one year of experience past HS for all the problems - THAT MAKES 100% SENSE.

People here have this idea that if the Jets get a new QB all will be solved. Unlikely, since at the very least you can expect the development stage and grooming to be the same.

And if the argument is that a new staff will be able to develop a new qb into a franchise qb, what's stopping the same coaching staff from doing so with Sanchez?

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Don't exaggerate. He has had decent to good weapons around him outside of this past year and that was only due to injuries. Sure he didn't have an all-star lineup but he doesn't need that for people to be able to evaluate him after a 4 year career.

Also you shouldn't look at the extreme ends of the argument when you talk about people who think a new QB will solve all ills. Who cares what they think? Most people on this board who are critical of Sanchez DO consider the circumstances and still see that after 4 years he is a bonehead who makes rookie mistakes like forgetting the play he is running. Try to blame that on his supporting cast.

The fact is there are 2 types of extreme opinion on this site held by a handful of people. Ones who think that any other QB would have gotten the team to the playoffs last year. Those people are just haters. The other group is people who think Sanchez is a good QB and pretend that the last 4 years aren't enough to determine that he is below average.

Everybody else realizes that despite not having the best circumstances he is still not performing at even an average level.

16. xxedge72x

Sanchez was statistically improving until this past season. He was right on par with Eli Manning's growth... right up until this season. This season all happened to be the year that the wheels fell off. That's not a coincidence.

Sanchez certainly is not good, but he's also not as bad as the majority makes him out to be. He could've possibly developed into a good player over time had the team focused its efforts on making that happen. All we're left with now is a smoking pile of cow dung and another chance to rebuild. Every 3-5 year the cycle continues.

#496 xxedge72x, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

The year before was the year the wheels fell off. If you are going to give him credit for his contributions in the 09/10 playoff runs you have to give him blame for the 2011 collapse, culminating in throwing not 1, but 2 picks to the same defensive tackle.

You're right in that he isn't god awful but at this point he definitely has more bad than good and it appears the areas he is bad in are areas that if they could be corrected they would have been by now. He has terrible decision making. I've never seen a guy who seems to do the exact opposite of what a situation calls for. Taking a sack when he needs to throw it away, and then fumbling nearly every time. Throwing it away or forcing it when he should take a sack. Running into a lineman's ass and claiming he was trying to take a sack. These things are not minor flaws.

#497 BeastBeach, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  18. xxedge72x

I attribute 2011 to a lot of things. Sanchez is a part of that without question. But by making the decision to get rid of Edwards, teams were now double covering Holmes instead of Edwards. Holmes couldn't handle the coverage and Sanchez had no alternative to Holmes who was worth a damn. Holmes got frustrated and exploded in that same game. Frustrations were boiling up all around by the end of the season.

Also, Sanchez is not and will not be the franchise QB for this team, there is no doubt about that. I'm not defending him. I'm attacking the front office for failing to utilize their resources correctly. Look at Alex Smith... in my mind at least, Alex Smith is on par with Sanchez, just with a bunch of extra years under his belt. Smith has had exactly two seasons ever that could be considered respectable, but the 49ers found a way to continue to improve and grow with him, and now that they've got a more talented QB the sky looks like the limit for the 49ers. Like the Jets, they realized Smith wasn't the key... that didn't mean they needed to blow up the operation. Unlike the Jets, they figured out a way to make it work and get the minimum necessary out of Smith to get the team into a position to be ready when someone who actually could play came along.

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Didn't he still have Keller, Plax, LT, and Kerley, who was solid by season's end? Also you would expect Sanchez by the end of year 3 to be enough of a leader to control the team. I know he can't do it all, but I think his poor play down the stretch combined with weak leadership skills made an implosion inevitable. Holmes is definitely a "me-first" guy, but it could have been prevented.

As to your resources/weapons argument I agree. The team could have done more no doubt.

20. xxedge72x

Plaxico did what the Jets brought him in to do, which was give the Jets a reliable red zone threat. And sure enough, the Mark Sanchez led Jets were 3rd in the NFL in red zone efficiency, a feat that wasn't close to repeated in any of the other three years here. What that tells you is that given the weapons, Sanchez can get it done. He's not a franchise level QB, but he's more than capable of being a serviceable starter.

The problem with Plaxico is that he couldn't stretch the field the way Edwards did, nor did he command the double teams the way Edwards did. Edwards wasn't a highly productive receiver the way a lot of the elite ones were, but he was legitimate #1 deep threat that teams had to respect with their coverage. The Jets didn't replace that, so that aspect of the team completely evaporated. Holmes was made worse by proxy since he's not an honest to god number one. As a number two he's amazing, but as a number 1 he's average at best.

LT helped the Jets in more ways than showed up on the stats sheet. That really showed how everything went down hill (including the statistics) for Sanchez when he left.

As for Keller and Kerley... they are very meh by NFL standards. Surely capable of playing but not really spectacular or reliable in any sense. Keller has been productive in the past but the guy doesn't block incredibly well and his hands aren't incredibly reliable. A lot has been made of how Keller is Sanchez's bedrock... to me that speaks volumes about the turnover and inconsistent talent Sanchez has had to work with through four years. Keller is ok... but certainly not worth a trade up in the first round and certainly not as a cornerstone of the offense.

Kerley is also just ok. The Jets had a better #3 in Cotchery who walked because he couldn't tolerate the locker room atmosphere Rex created. Ironically, I think J-Co would enjoy the new toned down Rex... but too little too late.