JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

the only quarterbacks minus geno smith that i'd take in this draft is ej manuel and tyler wilson. ej manuel is a 3rd round pick like you said, but tyler wilson won't be there in the 2nd. i just think the hate on geno's gone too far, he could be a productive QB in this league

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Jones is by far the most disruptive OLB off the edge in this draft. The only guys you can even argue taking over him as an edge rusher are Moore and Werner. Frankly, I would take jones over both of those in a heartbeat with a clean bill of health.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm just not thrilled with this QB class in the 1st 2 rounds.

I hope we can bring in a Free Agent and maybe draft someone like Sean Renfree in a middle Rd.

If we are going to suck in 2013, which is possible, we will have some solid QBs to look at in Rd 1 in 2014 and Sanchez' contract wouldn't be hanging over our head. That's why I will pass on Geno, Matt & Tyler in 2013.

Eniough QB talk, don't want to derail this thread.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

A healthy Jones is a better player than any other pass rusher in this draft.

Even if teams clear him, there will always be a concern. Spinal stenosis is something that doesn't get better over time. You can relieve the symptons of Spinal stenosis thru therapy and exercise, but it's a chronic condition. The concern is if Jones get hit in the neck/spine it could cause the condition to be become worse.

There is no question Jones can play with this condition, we just don't know for how long before it's a huge issue.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Injuries aside, are there any major negatives in Jarvis Jones game WW85? I've seen the kid play and he's a great talent, I know he didn't do so well against Alabama, but stopping that offensive line is damn near impossible.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

101......there's not much to not like. I haven't seen every game that Jones has played, but he's very active in rushing the passer and looks solid in coverage.

Jones can, like you mentioned, get neutralized by big athletic lineman. Jones needs to be creative and not try to bullrush, it won't work in the NFL.

7. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I haven't seen him as much, since I always ending up watching John Jenkins (monster) and Alec Ogletree when I watch Georgia, but I've sen from a few people that you can run right at (read: over) him.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't quite rememer the issues that forced him to retire but what was the issue with david Pollack (ironically another defensive Bulldog stud) I know he had neck problems but were the conditions similar. If I remember Pollack retired after like 2 or 3 seasons.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would say thats in large part because of his size. He almost looks like a safety... Im interested in how he measures at the combine. If he measures 6'1/6'2 and 230-235 some questions could arise. A solid 6'3 and 245-250 could sure things up though.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Whats everyone's thoughts on Tank Carridine? Ive read that if he didnt injure his knee he could have been the best pass rusher?

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

clearly this is a hypothetical because there is a 1/50 chance this happens, but lets say star lotulelei falls to us at 9 (like i said this is hypothetical because i doubt it happens), but do you draft him? clearly he doesn't fill a need because our dline is pretty talented right now, but i think if he fell to us we'd have no choice. we could seriously have the best dline in football for years to come with him

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I've read he runs hot and cold. The sacks and force turnovers seem to come in bunch; then he'll disappear for a couple of games. Also read that he's one of those guys that shows up on game day but does not have the best practice habits during the week. None of this would stop me from drafting him though.

13. 101GangGreen101

The only thing I worry about is our Linebackers coach. Hopefully he's a good hire and can coach him up and have him learn other pass-rushing moves. Rex will keep him disciplined. That said, I'm sold on him if he "drops" to us. We haven't had a stud pass-rusher since Abraham. Jones and Warmack are on top of my list as prospects the Jets should draft. Thanks man.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You always go with best player available in the draft.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

15. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Tank Carradine is a baller. When all is said and done I think he goes in the second round despite his injury. Last year, Broyles was thought to be a fourth round guy because of his injury, despite having 1st round production and was taken in the second by the Lions. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carradine taken in the second this year, though probably not by the Lions (as Broyles re-blew his ACL last year :shit:)

16. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Along the lines of what edge72 said, it depends who is available. If he's the best guy by a wide margin, you take him. Especially if Devito walks. You need to be 2-deep on every position on the line in a 3-4, and there are a number of pass rushers scattered throughout the draft, even into the third day (guys like Armonty Bryant, Brandon Thurmond, Cornelius Washington, maybe even Trevardo Williams.) Star can play any of the three DL positions in an odd front, so he's even more valuable IMO to 3-4 teams than 4-3.

Don't reach. Take good players. JMO.

*edit - Travis Johnson, Jamie Collins, and Travis Long are three more productive pass rushers that could be available on the third day. Wouldn't be shocked to see Collins go in the third, though. This draft seems loaded with pass rushers. 5T's, not so much.*

#336 CleveSteve, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  17. 101GangGreen101

A philosophy the Jets rarely follow ...

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

True, but I think last year we went with Coples which was BPA I believe

19. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

IIRC, we never expected Coples to still be on the board, so we couldn't pass him up. There were rumors that we promised Coples we'd take him if he was still on the board, but I'm not sure that I buy into that.

20. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Coples said that he was promised by Rex that they'd draft him if he was still on the board. I believe it