The 9 Looks Good For The Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Feb 11, 2013.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Claussen is actually an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. Not sure that would count as true competition for Sanchez but definitely an interesting name.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There's no question that they need to take a big time edge rusher at 9. Looking at the strength of this draft class that's where the value is. After that they need to start addressing the offensive skill positions and OL. Free agency is where they'll address QB this offseason.

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I have a feeling the best career OLB is going to go in the second round in Brandon Jenkins. A project 1st rounder in 2012 if he came out, and now he is a 3rd rounder due to a foot injury.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...y-murray-state-defensive-end-college-football

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If for some reason Jets can't get Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones in the first round, I'd lean towards picking Brandon Jenkins with the 2nd rounder. Or trading up to ending-second or beginning-third. Don't think he lasts till Jets 3rd round pick. Jets can't go into this season with the Garrett McIntyre as the better OLB. It'll be a disaster.

My expectation is that Jets play it smart & use the 1st rounder on OLB prospect.

#24 ajax, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd be good with either Jordan or Jones at 9. I think they'll both be immediate impact guys. I actually think Jordan can play multiple positions, OLB and DE and he's ridiculously long and athletic and will wreak havoc on opposing QB's and bat down passes. The knock on him is his weight but I think he'll have no problem filling out.

Jenkins is intriguing but like any other guy with injury he scares me.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The situation where they don't take the edge rusher is when he's not there and they'll have to reach to fill the spot and then have a real chance of failing.

If Jones, Moore and Werner are gone by 9 they're gone. If the Jets medical staff can't clear Jones definitively and he's the guy that's there, well that's another kettle of fish to deal with.

Dion Jordan is a bubble guy like Barkevious Mingo. Great pass rushers don't get 12.5 sacks over their Junior and Senior seasons combined. That's just not how it works.

7. TheCoolerGlennFoley

I think I'd rather see them taking Warmack than Jordan, Mingo or Ansah. Forget positional value, they can't afford to miss on this pick and he's the safest option.

8. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Yeah, but all they'd get is a guard. It's one of the least important positions in football. Value IS important because there's a finite level of talent at skill positions.

If I'm forced to pick between Mingo and Jordan I pick Jordan, if only for his ability to cover. I think Mingo is going to be a tremendous bust. It should also be mentioned that besides his spinal injury, Jarvis Jones is going to be 24 years old on October 13. He's not that young, so he'd better be great right away.

More and more, it looks like the Jets best option is to trade back, if that's an available option. I'm hoping that a few skill position players light up the combine and shake an upper echelon guy like Moore down to the Jets, but I doubt it.

-X-

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I completely agree with this. A lot of people here are saying that the value at 9 is at the OLB position, but if Werner, Moore and Jones are gone, I don't see value there. I dont think Mingo, Jordan or Ansah are worth the #9 pick. If one of the big three fall (assuming Jones is okay medically), then there's great value and you go OLB. Otherwise, I dont see great value. I think Jordan and Ansah are 15-20 players and Mingo somewhere close after that.

Warmack is a clear top 5 talent. If Im deciding between Warmack and one of Mingo, Jordan and Ansah Im choosing the best guard prospect in the last decade.

And to those who see passrusher at 9 a must (assuming the big 3 are gone)- where do you rank Mingo, Ansah and Jordan? And where do you rank Geno Smith?

#29 laxin, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Every year it's "the best guard prospect in the last decade." You know what? Even Steve Hutchinson and Dave DeCastro didn't go top 10. Because teams taht are selecting in the top 10 typically have far greater issues than the guard position.

The Jets have a laughable dearth of athleticism and talent at skill positions. Upgrading those will have a far greater impact than substantially upgrading guard production.

-X-

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wonder where he got that idea from?

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Great post! Not much to add to this one.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Warmack is a better prospect than DeCastro... and who at a skill position is of value? Are you considering OLB as skill position? Personally, I wouldnt touch Mingo or Ansah in the top 10... I could deal with Jordan, but dont think its great value.

If we are talking Jones, Werner or Moore then Im all for it. Im not reaching on a player based on potential though. What do we need more than athleticism at the skill positions? Stud starters that can come in a produce at a high level for a long time.

Do you think San Fran is regretting picking Mike Iupati a few years ago pretty high for a guard?... Nope because now they have the best OL in the NFL and he's a huge reason for their running and passing success.

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

But then how can blame the line for our offensive ineptitude if it is the least important position in football. Forget the fact that the guard is the first lineman to get to the second level in most defensive fronts. Forget the fact that the guard is the lineman that lead on most offensive plays. Forget the fact that most blocking scheme block inside out.

I guess I can see how the guard is the least important.

15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Toot Toot!

Actually, I was going through rosters today, and he clicked.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Warmack is the smart pick at 9, especially for a first year GM. However, the best option is to trade back, if we can, IMO.

17. TheCoolerGlennFoley

I hear you, but I also think positional value is less important with the new CBA. #9 overall isn't getting paid nearly as much as it used to be so I think you'll start to see positions that didn't have as much perceived value going earlier.

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

our oline was ranked 3rd overall this year (i know it surprised me too). i love warmack, but i'm starting to go against drafting him. this team is boring as fuck to watch and have no playmakers. i'm not for drafting mingo or ansah, but sometimes big risks pay off big time. we need playmakers

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

We need good football players, period. Both guards are free agents and there's a good chance Warmack at #9 would be cheaper than bringing back Slausson and also would be an upgrade.

Again, I'd much rather get a Jones, or Moore or Werner. But I'd just rather use 2nd and 3rd day picks on the risks.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly... Also, the value for the skill positions is from the end of the 1st through the 3rd. No one has value at 9... Rounds 2-4 should be all on offense and should try to address RB, WR, TE and G.