QB options for Jets (Merged Thread)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ben Had, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

From the Ravens forum, but I live in NY so I hear and discuss the Jets quite a bit and came up with an intriguing option for you guys

Round 1 Trade to either Niners or Seahawks

Jets send pick 9 and Sanchez to either the 49ers or Seahawks for Matt Flynn or Alex Smith, their first rounder, and a 4th

Why Seattle accepts?

Seattle is looking to move QB Matt Flynn to create some cap space. In a few years, Richard Sherman and Browner will need to be paid. Flynn makes 6.5 mil this year, while Sanchez makes about 8 mil. While they won’t immediately free up cap, the clause in Sanchez’s contract that lets you cut him for free after this year will benefit Seattle.

Furthermore, Pete Carroll coached Sanchez in college so there is a familiarity there.

Finally, Seattle is challenging SF for that division. Right now, the teams are fairly even. The 9th overall pick in this draft may be enough to swing the tide over to Seahawks advantage by allowing them to grab an impact player such as Jarvis Jones. This also protects them in the case that Chris Clemons cannot recover fully from his acl injury

Why San Francisco accepts?

Like Seattle, San Fran also wants to move its backup QB. The difference is that Alex Smith has robbed the 9ers of leverage by demanding his release. With Aldon Smith and other coming up for a payday, they would love to get Sanchez as a backup so that they could free up some cap in the following year and pay these guys.

Seattle and St.Louis are breathing down San Francisco’s neck challenging them for the division. Justin Smith is also aging. On top of that, the loss to Baltimore in the Superbowl is pressuring San Fran to make a move to win. The 9th overall pick would allow them to get an impact player cementing them as the leaders in that division while also maybe giving them the final piece they need to win it all.

Why the Jets do this?

The Jets needs are ones that can be found much later in the round. They also have a lot of needs so acquiring more picks is beneficial to them. Getting rid of Sanchez clears cap space. Obtaining Smith/Flynn improves them at QB. They kill two needs at the cost one pick with this trade (QB and I have them mocked at G should this trade go through)

#221 Sizzlebshu, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Flynn & Alex Smith are the kind of QB Jets will start & be waiting/hoping that one day a SB caliber QB will show up. Might as well sign a cheap FA for 1-2 year contract (and not give up any picks). We're offering the starting job so they'll come here.

#222 ajax, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

jets will not draft a q.b. early

for sure the jets will not draft a q.b. in the early rounds. if they draft one in the later rounds.my pick would be zack dysert out of miami ohio.he could be a sleeper pick for the jets.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Sean Renfree -QB from Duke. I've been googling forever & all I've come up with is one extremely short highlight only video with him. Has anybody watched him play?

From what I've read, it seems like he's got an NFL caliber arm & was a play maker for Duke as they reached their bowl game. He's missing combines & East/West game because he was injured in the last play of his last game & needs about 6 months to recover.

NFL caliber arm on QB in rounds 5-7? I'd definitely consider it. In those late rounds there's a lot of reaching anyway. The RB/LB/OT/etc... drafted that late is not gonna be a lock to even make that team.

5. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

If you weren't 15 million over the cap maybe you could do that.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would never do that. Neither are franchise QBs and are going to save this organization. That would set us back even further by losing a premium pick and investing time and resources into a bottom level QB.

7. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

Waiting around for a franchise QB is exactly what is going to kill this organization imo.

Your going to wait at least 2 years to possibly get one. Assuming you seek to improve and not blow up your team you likely wont pick in the top 5 which means you will have to trade up. In the next two years, you will have needs in both sides of the trenches as most of your stars will be on the wrong side of 30. On top of that Revis is likely gone and Cromartie should you keep him will be 30. So even if you get your franchise QB your team for the most part (outside of defensive end) will be on the wrong side of 30. Your defense may not even last two years if Ryan has another bad year and gets canned. So let's review by the time you have a shot at a franchsie QB, you will likely lose Revis, your #1 corner will be 30, the best parts of your o line (brick, and manigold) will be 31, Santonio Holmes will be 30, and most of your defense will be aged as well. Oh and in the meanwhile you wont really have qb because you will likely cut Sanchez at first opportunity. Doesn't exactly sound like a good situation for any franchise QB to fall into to me.

Imo you need to do with San Fran did. Smith/Flynn may not be franchise guys (altho the jury is out on Flynn because he has very little to go off of, not implying anything), but when put in the right situation can be very effective game managers. Remember even with Smith, San Fran was still a dominant team. Receiver-wise they were no more talented than this team is. Where they were better was in managing the game visa vie strong running game and not turning the ball over both of which can be addressed with this trade and allow the Jets to possibly make a return to the competitive landscape imo.

#227 Sizzlebshu, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

If Schneier came to me and said the Jets #9 and Sanchez for Matt Flynn, #25 and their 2014 first rounder...I think I'd have to seriously consider that.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets major problem right now is that they've spent the last decade with instability at the QB position due to injuries, poor planning and lack of talent at the position.

You need to learn more about where the Jets have been before you authoritatively begin making pronouncements about where they need to go.

BTW, Tannenbaum recognized the root of the problems, he just made a poor choice in trying to fix them.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

In the case of Sanchez, familiarity breeds contempt. Pete Carroll didn't exactly give him a ringing endorsement when he came out of USC saying that the QB wasn't ready for the NFL. Add to that the fact that Sanchez is now damaged goods and a horrible NFL QB and Carroll most likely wants nothing to do with him. Not happening.

11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

That is a really strong offer. It would give the Jets ammo to move up in 2014 if, in fact, Flynn isn't the answer.

12. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

Your last point is very debatable as he himself became the root of major problems with the rate he gave big contracts. He may have understood it, definitely made poor choices in fixing it, but his cap management (ironically his specialty if what I heard is correct) is why you guys are in such terrible position right now.

As for familiarity breeding contempt, while Carrol didn't give him a glowing review, he knows that Sanchez will only be around for one year as basically deferred free cap space. Im sure Carrol wont mind in that time trying to help Sanchez revive or salvage his career by coaching him up and giving him a decent review as a teammate/improved
    while he was there. He did it with T.O. of all people so to bring Sanchez in as a back up is nothing compared to that. Carroll takes no risk in taking this and can only improve his team.

I understand that the problem with Jets has been QB instability and I am trying to patch that problem up without taking a risk. Like I said for at least 2 years you won't have a franchise QB should you not try to acquire Flynn or Smith (not saying either is one, just that for 2 years a franchise qb is out of your reach due to weak draft classes and poor cap situation).

Flynn or Smith is basically a two year try out meaning you lose absolutely no time that wouldnt have already been sacrificed. You think you lose an important pick but if used correctly you actually gain in this situation and given Idzik's track record with the Giants, and Seahawks, he is fairly adept at picking players so that should not be a concern. You either get a solid game manager in Smith or a game manager/possible franchise guy for a two year try out in Flynn. On top of that you will get a chance to start rebuilding the pieces around your new QB/later drafted QB. You wont get Warmack but instead get Flynn/Smith and the best o-line guy available (Cooper/Jones/whoever) and an extra pick on top of all of it. You also clear cap space, which even though its only a small amount, is important since you are 15 mil over and every little bit helps. All of which makes you helps you return to being competitive faster.

You already have a strong defense (top 10) so that compares favorably to the Niners structure. Receiver wise you are definitely no worse than they are. The main difference is in the strength of your o-line and your QB's ability to protect the ball. Remember when the Jets had a top o-line a few years ago, they were able to move the ball. If you can fix those two problems I dont see a reason why you can't go back to being a competitive team. I'm am talking about the Niners with Smith here not Kap, not that it makes a dramatic difference as the Niners were still dominant with Smith, but for clarification purposes I'll say this.

#232 Sizzlebshu, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  13. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

So you're saying Carroll would refuse to take a guy he knows not to be a problem to come be a back up for one year in exchange for gaining a high draft pick and then be able to cut him after said year to free up a lot of cap which could be reused to sign his own guys? Yea thats totally a terrible option for him.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Since when did being a capable backup have to do with "not being a problem" as you say? It has everything to do with his inability to play the QB position. You must have not watched Sanchez play this year if you think that Carroll would have any inclination to take him.

15. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

That's a no-brainer to me. Flynn's not a top-half QB, but he's better than Sanchez. There's no rush LB prospect you're going to get at 9 that has fewer questions than a guy you're getting at 25. If you're looking at Mingo or Ansah, are either of them a safer bet than Jordan or Okafor? Top that off with another 20-something pick next year and that's a big win for the JETS.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's just no way that installing a mediocre QB is going to help the Jets in any way shape or form. What do we lose by doing so? we lose the resources we spent to go get Ryan Fitzpatrick redux and the snaps at QB that we then gave him before we settled in on the real task at hand.

The Jets probably can't get a reasonable franchise prospect in here this season. That's no reason to go spend real draft picks and money on guys who aren't capable of doing that job.

17. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

Say what you want about Sanchez but he isn't a locker room cancer like T.O. who Carroll was more than willing to take on.

They have no plans to start him over Wilson so he will be a bench warmer and unless Wilson gets hurt, Sanchez wont see the field in anything other than blowout games ala Seattle vs Buffalo.

And he is 100% going to be cut after 1 year to free up 8 mil in cap thanks to his contract clause which btw works out well since Sherman and Browner will need to be paid.

In addition, he gets a high pick to help him get past the Niners for the division.

What part of that isn't attractive to Pete Carroll? (inb4 Sanchez)

18. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

So basically you want to trade off our first round pick for a player like Alex Smith? Why in the world would we do that? The NINERS benched him because they felt he couldn't get them to a super bowl.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Breaking: Per source, the #Jets have reached out to Mark Sanchez to explore restructuring his contract. #nyj

20. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Well that is a step in the right direction.