QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I don't think either Stafford or Freeman will be made available, but I think the bust talk regarding Freeman is a little premature. He did set the Bucs' franchise records for production last season under a new offensive coordinator.

I agree that I'd rather get Stafford than Freeman in a trade, though. I'd rather have both of them than Sanchez, and by a lot.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We can be pretty sure McElroy will be here for the coming season. The question is for how much will he get to play. A solid second stringer, or a real chance to start for the year?

I was ftr all for giving him a shot this last season, and certainly do not think he does not deserve another shot. I think he does. But neither am I sure enough he will or should be the starter.

In any event Sanchez should be traded, and given the logic of the situation, it would be nice (however unlikely) if the Jets got a decent Qb in return.

Bring back McElroy and then a solid Qb who might give the team mid tier peformance like Orton or Moore, and the Jets could do far worse in what will lkely be a rebuilding year, and possibly in 14 as well. I think this will prove a realistic approach, and McElroy should get his shot. Perhaps he improves as much this off season as he did this past off season. That would be great.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the more i think about it, the more i agree with the garrard suggestion.
    he would be a decent game manager and competition if they decide they can push for a playoff spot this year. also he would be a cheap bridge if they decide to take all the cap hits this year and start over on 2014

4. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

CBS' Jason La Canfora has been told there's "no way" the Raiders will pay Carson Palmer's $13 million base salary.

La Canfora lumps Palmer into a group of quarterbacks who could be released in the next month. 33-year-old Palmer has gone just 8-16 over the last two seasons as a starter, and he has two years and $28 million left on his contract, no portion of which is guaranteed. He'll almost certainly have to take a pay cut to return to Oakland. Unfortunately for the cap-strapped Raiders, releasing Palmer would give them minimal cap relief and leave them on the hook for a ton of dead money.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow what a terrible move Oak made there.
    What did they give up, 2 first round picks and more for a 1.5 year rental?

That should be our model of what not to do.

6. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I would sign Carson Palmer to compete for the starting job, the guy isn't a terrible quarterback, just put in terrible situations over the course of his career with a few high points, Bengals playoff runs in 2005 and 2009.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Carson Palmer is a rich man's Mark Sanchez. And that isn't saying much.

8. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Carson Palmer is much more than a rich Mark Sanchez. Palmer has never been on team as good as Sanchez had in 2010, and in spite of this, Palmer has only thrown more interceptions than touchdowns once in his career, Sanchez done it in 2 out of his fist 4 years. Put palmer on this team this past season and we make the playoffs.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree. Palmer is vastly better than Sanchez.

10. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Palmer would be a good patch. Maybe a 1 year deal as we pull a 'suck for Luck' the year after to get Johnny Manzel.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no thanks to palmer. would be a waste of $

12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Why would the Lions give up their franchise Qb? He had a rough season, but his play in 2011 speaks for itself.

I think trading for a Qb is not going to happen, unless it's Alex Smith or, possibly, Flynn. I hope we just go with a scrub, have him compete with Sanch and Mc and hope for the best...they might surprise us or, more likely, we might get a top 3 pick.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I don't want Palmer. He's over the hill and couldn't get it done with both TO and Chad Johnson together on the same team. Sanchez has never had receivers like that. The only comparison is 2010, with both Braylon Edwards and Holmes, but that's pushing it. They got better when Dalton took over and they had worse receivers. I say no to Palmer. His goose is cooked. What about Campbell? He was doing really well on the Raiders and they were playoff bound until he got injured.

#353 Barcs, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

AJ Green isn't worse receivers.

15. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Andy Dalton and AJ Green came from the same draft class.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

News is that Vick is staying in Philly for now. Unless he is cut Wednesday, the eagles owe him 3 mil. This means they are seriously considering keeping him as their starter. His meetings with chip Kelly have been "positive". Kelly wants an option qb. Vick fits that bill, Foles does not. If they do decide to stay with Vick we should definitely offer them a trade for Foles. He fits the WCO perfectly and I really believe he can be a franchise qb. What he did in his 7 starts last year was very impressive but it went somewhat unheralded because of the teams overall situation. I hope MM will convice Idzy to make a push for him. Here's an excerpt from an earlier post I made on Foles as a refresher:

17. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

Ravens fan here from the Ravens forum, but I live in NY and thus hear about and discuss the Jets a lot. I managed to come up with what I believe is an interesting trade scenario for you guys. Lmk what you think

Round 1 Trade to either Niners or Seahawks

We send pick 9 and Sanchez to either the 49ers or Seahawks for Matt Flynn or Alex Smith, their first rounder, and a 4th

Why Seattle accepts?

Seattle is looking to move QB Matt Flynn to create some cap space. In a few years, Richard Sherman and Browner will need to be paid. Flynn makes 6.5 mil this year, while Sanchez makes about 8 mil. While they won’t immediately free up cap, the clause in Sanchez’s contract that lets you cut him for free after this year will benefit Seattle.

Furthermore, Pete Carroll coached Sanchez in college so there is a familiarity there.

Finally, Seattle is challenging SF for that division. Right now, the teams are fairly even. The 9th overall pick in this draft may be enough to swing the tide over to Seahawks advantage by allowing them to grab an impact player such as Jarvis Jones. This also protects them in the case that Chris Clemons cannot recover fully from his acl injury

Why San Francisco accepts?

Like Seattle, San Fran also wants to move its backup QB. The difference is that Alex Smith has robbed the 9ers of leverage by demanding his release. With Aldon Smith and other coming up for a payday, they would love to get Sanchez as a backup so that they could free up some cap in the following year and pay these guys.

Seattle and St.Louis are breathing down San Francisco’s neck challenging them for the division. Justin Smith is also aging. On top of that, the loss to Baltimore in the Superbowl is pressuring San Fran to make a move to win. The 9th overall pick would allow them to get an impact player cementing them as the leaders in that division while also maybe giving them the final piece they need to win it all.

Why the Jets do this?

The Jets needs are ones that can be found much later in the round. They also have a lot of needs so acquiring more picks is beneficial to them. Getting rid of Sanchez clears cap space. Obtaining Smith/Flynn improves them at QB.

Also Leon Sandcastle should be on your list of QB possibilities lol

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's good, but not better than TO plus Johnson put together.

19. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

IMO, the only waste of $ is any $ committed (this offseason) to a Jets QB not named McElroy or Sanchez in 2014. Palmer is by far the best potentially available QB who would take a 1-year contract.

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Palmer threw for 4000 yards with 22 tds to 14 ints in 15 games while playing in a west coast offense last year. He would be a good stopgap option if he comes
    Cheap.